Acoustic Sounds, Analogue Productions, Quality Record Pressings

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by 4-2-7, Jan 16, 2016.

1. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Shipping is free for us over $65 in items. You also have a currency rate going against you not to mention the high shipping charges in other countries. Look at eBay UK, most the sales and auction are pickup only because it cost a lot there.

E.Man likes this.
  2. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

Given that and the fact that I don't posses unlimited funds, I choose to select AP's titles that I most want. If I had unlimited funds I'd simply buy everything they release. They have probably never released a mediocre product. Some of what is being released today is the best ever because the quality of the remastering is so excellent. Between Bob Ludwig, Bernie Grundman, Steve Hoffman and the gang at MoFi, we are hearing remastered old favourites as they have never been heard ever. I wish I could buy all of their efforts. As a fan of high level vinyl replay it is sure some exciting times.

The new stuff(from selected personnel) in almost every instance eclipses first release copies which have been hotly sought after and expensive. Now is the time to be buying vinyl gentlemen.

3. 4-2-7

What does it cost to get one of the $50 AP records to your door?

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Super Member

I've been buying from Chad and his crew in Kansas for eight years now and have placed well over a hundred orders. AP is an excellent label and Acoustic Sounds has given me top service. Chad always answers my emails and loves to talk music and records.

Goodfellas likes this.
  5. theophile

Firstly the Aussie dollar is 0.75 of the US at the moment so a $50 record is $63 Aus. Shipping (for let's say 4 records) can amount to $100Aus on top.

6. 4-2-7

7. 4-2-7

If I buy one of their $50 records at my local store it cost me $59 + tax, so around $65 total. I see that shipping gets you though, $25 per record is not very cool at all.

8. theophile

The shipping expense has to be seen that the shipping price in US dollars is proportionately less and that we are on the opposite side of the planet. I wouldn't have to pay any shipping if I picked them up in person. Just a very long swim and walk or conversely a return airfare. Makes the $100 Aus look like good value.

9. E.Man

E.Man Super Member

Good value !! if you've got the money for a hundred buck record each time.
    I've no argument with the quality or Chas' committment, but a hundred bucks a shot doesn't work on the pension.

10. captouch

captouch AK Subscriber Subscriber

I know Hendrix releases have been spoken to earlier, but I was surprised how inexpensive some of them are. I picked up a 2014 Are You Experienced 180g LP today, pressed at QRP, for $12.99 at Fry's. Looked like this:

Hendrix.jpg

Sound quality seems really good.

I wish more QRP pressings of good/classic albums would sell for <$15.

RonniB, Goodfellas and 4-2-7 like this.
  11. 4-2-7

Eric,
    Evan shared a link to look for QRP and there is another way to do it also.

Go to AS, search Vinyl> All Vinyl> Type in the search box Quality Record Pressing. You suold see over 650 titles. They advertise there pressing work there so you'll find all sorts of records from $19 and up.

Goodfellas likes this.
  12. Bubbalouie

Bubbalouie Active Member

Acoustic Sounds is the only place I buy my vinyl. I have yet to return any for being bad. The best place to buy in my book.

Goodfellas and 4-2-7 like this.
  13. skandl

skandl AK Subscriber Subscriber

20170617_144712.jpg

AS discontinued the CCR box set. Evan helped me get all the AP pressing, yes one is missing but i found it on discog and if the condition sucks I do have a back-up.

Goodfellas and 4-2-7 like this.
  14. 4-2-7

Goodfellas likes this.
  15. ateal

ateal Well-Known Member

I love acoustic sounds and what they do.

Just ordered these amazing releases which apart from the 45rpm melody gardot they are all QRP. Can't wait to get my hands on them.

ACRC 38913 1 Macy Gray/ Stripped 180g/ QRP
    AUNI 8756-45 1 Melody Gardot/ Worrisome Heart Import
    APRJ 28 1 Gene Ammons/ Soulful Moods Of Gene Ammon
    AOJC 298 1 Etta Jones/ Don't Go To Strangers

Goodfellas likes this.
  16. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus Subscriber

So I just got my order from Sound Stage Direct the other day. Two Keb Mo, a Ben Webster on QRP, and a Big Bad Voodoo Daddy on Savoy.

One Keb Mo has to go back due to a slight scuff the size of an eraser head. The QRP has slight edge warps but sounds nice. Not impressed for $50. The Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is warped like a tortilla but sounds very nice.

Not satisfied as a whole with the experience.

Regards
    Mister Pig

17. 4-2-7

Well I just got to ask, why did you go to Sound Stage Direct for Acoustic Sounds product?

Could you be clear on these titles and catalog # John so I can look them up?
    You say they are pressed at QRP? are any of them Analog Productions?

If you had bought from AS and it was one of their AP or APO products they would send you just the record without the cover ASAP without having to retune anything. They can hand pick the record they send you this way and make sure it's perfect.

When you start going to third parties for a records, know that, that record is now starting to get shipped all over the place and handled and stored in more locations. Who knows if orders from AS to SSD sat on the loading dock in the sun, or how long the stock sat in their warehouse and under what conditions. Let alone the road travel in trucks getting loaded and unloaded numerous times along the way. Just my 2 cents

Goodfellas likes this.
  18. 4-2-7

Be prepared for nirvana.

Well yeah!!! LOL you can select some of your main titles that they do and know your done and have one of the best records made of that title.

Goodfellas likes this.
  19. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus Subscriber

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/ben-webster-soulville-180-gram-45-rpm-vinyl-lp.shtml

Actually its an AP release. But it is a QRP pressing according to the inside sleeve.

Sounds good though, so its worth the effort.

Regards
    Mister Pig

Goodfellas likes this.
  20. 4-2-7

AP has been around longer than QRP, ORP opened in 2010 and AP used to get their records pressed at RTI. You record is pressed at QRP and take a look at the info provided at AS opposed to SSD.
    http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/67249/Ben_Webster_Quintet-Soulville-45_RPM_Vinyl_Record

Don't keep the warped records, get your money back, return them or something.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Goodfellas likes this.