Acoustiflex suggestions?

Kuma

1970's "Acoustiflex" - SS amp/receiver.. any mod suggestions?

Here's something I'll bet nobody has ever seen - and I say that because I can't find a single bit of information concerning this brand.

Acoustiflex was a Detroit area company in the 1970's, that much I know. And judging by the "made in Japan" writings on the innards of this unit, they most likely were an assembler of components and only manufactured the chassis to stuff it into. Their stuff was sold at local "high end" audio shops (Almas and Pecars, for those in the region).

This particular unit came with a set of wonderful speakers that are sealed shut without any screws - and I hesitate to break them apart to see what's inside... but based on their sound I'm sure they're filled with some nice drivers. My girlfriend did very well in picking this up at a local thrift and surprising me with a system that has become what we listen to most of the time.

But one thing leads to another....

The one remaining dial light (it didn't come to us with both functioning) gave up last week. I have replacements on the way, but after taking this thing apart I couldn't help but think of the improvements that could be made with new caps here and there.

The unit sounds good, so nothing's really broken. But I'm sure it could use a little improvement here and there. Listening to it, it does seem like it could use a bit more "presence" - more bass and more shimmer on the highs. I find myself flicking the loudness switch and turning up the treble most of the time.

Q1/ Without a schematic or manual to work with, what upgrades would you suggest? The way it's laid out, it should be very easy to work on.

Q2/ Does anyone have information or experience with this brand?

Thank you in advance.

b54c668a.jpg

308477d1.jpg

8057c4ab.jpg

b1453871.jpg

e11596ac.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, I loosened the clamp and slid out that big power supply capacitor mounted underneath (next to the transformer) - it's labeled "63V 2200MFD Unicon".

vintage SS general amp / receiver upgrades? (bump of previous post)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Acoustiflex 50 receiver

Does anyone have any info on this unit I just picked up and one channel
Is dead
Schematic?
Thank you
Didn't spend much so I would like to learn/ repair

If I can't find a schematic what steps can I take to isolate and
Repair
Thanks

My dad worked for the Stereoland stores back in the seventies. Their speakers were good quality components assembled into their own cases. If one failed they would warranty the pair do they would sound the same. One batch might have Yamaha woofers, Jvc midrange and Marantz tweeters and the next might be all switched around. Basically whatever they could buy for a good price at the time, but no junk. The receivers were designed in house and built to their specs by one of the larger Japanese electronic manufacturers. I think this changed a couple times over the years. A very nice man named Dick Bernard was responsible for the acoustiflex products. He later owned a store called Stereo Center in Flint, MI for many years. Unfortunately I have no idea where to find any schematics for these receivers. The Acoustiflex name has been a running joke in our family for my entire life. Something along the lines of the old Frank Zappa lyric "is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho."

The piece in the Avatar is a mitsu da-c20 tuner/preamp. The piece beneath it is the power amp. DA-A10DC.
The Acoustiflex quad receiver says it was manufactured in Cambridge, Ontario.

1970's "Acoustiflex" - SS amp/receiver.. any mod suggestions?

Here's something I'll bet nobody has ever seen - and I say that because I can't find a single bit of information concerning this brand.

Acoustiflex was a Detroit area company in the 1970's, that much I know. And judging by the "made in Japan" writings on the innards of this unit, they most likely were an assembler of components and only manufactured the chassis to stuff it into. Their stuff was sold at local "high end" audio shops (Almas and Pecars, for those in the region).

This particular unit came with a set of wonderful speakers that are sealed shut without any screws - and I hesitate to break them apart to see what's inside... but based on their sound I'm sure they're filled with some nice drivers. My girlfriend did very well in picking this up at a local thrift and surprising me with a system that has become what we listen to most of the time.

But one thing leads to another....

The one remaining dial light (it didn't come to us with both functioning) gave up last week. I have replacements on the way, but after taking this thing apart I couldn't help but think of the improvements that could be made with new caps here and there.

The unit sounds good, so nothing's really broken. But I'm sure it could use a little improvement here and there. Listening to it, it does seem like it could use a bit more "presence" - more bass and more shimmer on the highs. I find myself flicking the loudness switch and turning up the treble most of the time.

Q1/ Without a schematic or manual to work with, what upgrades would you suggest? The way it's laid out, it should be very easy to work on.

Q2/ Does anyone have information or experience with this brand?

Thank you in advance.

b54c668a.jpg

308477d1.jpg

8057c4ab.jpg

b1453871.jpg

e11596ac.jpg
My Acoustiflex model 12
With 15 inch woofers
IMG_20171128_141929124.jpg

Acoustiflex 50 receiver

Does anyone have any info on this unit I just picked up and one channel
Is dead
Schematic?
Thank you
Didn't spend much so I would like to learn/ repair

If I can't find a schematic what steps can I take to isolate and
Repair
Thanks
My Acoustiflex model 12 with 15 inch woofers IMG_20180214_162621429.jpg

My dad worked for the Stereoland stores back in the seventies. Their speakers were good quality components assembled into their own cases. If one failed they would warranty the pair do they would sound the same. One batch might have Yamaha woofers, Jvc midrange and Marantz tweeters and the next might be all switched around. Basically whatever they could buy for a good price at the time, but no junk. The receivers were designed in house and built to their specs by one of the larger Japanese electronic manufacturers. I think this changed a couple times over the years. A very nice man named Dick Bernard was responsible for the acoustiflex products. He later owned a store called Stereo Center in Flint, MI for many years. Unfortunately I have no idea where to find any schematics for these receivers. The Acoustiflex name has been a running joke in our family for my entire life. Something along the lines of the old Frank Zappa lyric "is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho."
See my post when ever you return here

The piece in the Avatar is a mitsu da-c20 tuner/preamp. The piece beneath it is the power amp. DA-A10DC.
The Acoustiflex quad receiver says it was manufactured in Cambridge, Ontario.
Are you still listening to the Acousticflex Receiver ?

The Acoustiflex receiver pictured by the OP was made by TCE, Tandy Electronics in Japan. They look just like the receivers sold on the east coast labeled Concord, also a TCE product.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210810-110803_cropped~2.png
    Screenshot_20210810-110803_cropped~2.png
    824.7 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom