Acquired my first heritage speakers -1979 La Scalas - and they sounded terrible. Found THIS inside:

G871

IMG_1182(1).JPG

Cat turd. :D

A lil kitten must've gotten back into the horn and let one loose right up against the woofer - it was between the woofer surround and the wood, preventing full excursion and causing a lot of boomy distortion.

Needless to say, it is in the trash can and the speakers sound WAY better. I was literally getting ready to sell them (2 days after buying) until I read a thread about boomy/muddy bass from La Scalas and someone said the cause was likely to be an accumulation of junk in the horn. It gave me great hope and I came home from work excited to excavate what I expected to be mouse castles. (I've found plenty of mouse droppings inside both the mouth of the bass horns and the housings for the mid/tweeter horns) But no, just a lil dried up cat turd.

The improvement was huge. They're more than tolerable now, which I couldn't say before.

I didn't listen to them before buying, because I got a great deal on them from the mother of the owner, who's since moved out and left his speakers. She'd told me that he'd gotten one of the speakers to work, but the other one was a mystery. Well, when I got there I noticed the corroded speaker wires that looked lke they'd been left hooked up for 20+ years and thought welp, there's the issue....and yep, it was. I hooked up new wires when I got home and they were both singing.....somewhat sadly, but they worked. Now they're singing like angels. Surprising how much of an effect ONE issue on ONE speaker can have on the whole sound. I was SO close to posting them up for sale. I'd already taken some pictures.

:banana:

IMG_1179.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1182(1).JPG
    IMG_1182(1).JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 17
I bet they sound Purrrfect now.

:D Aside from them being a bit harsh at the levels I sometimes like to listen to, they do sound wonderful and quickly went from flipping material to keepers.

Funny story! I can just see the kitten backing up to the slot and making a deposit.

Yep, I definitely got a kick out of it. So Coytee, I've seen your name in more than one thread I've read in my research on upgrading La Scalas. I can't say I remember exactly what you said, but as I said above, they are a bit harsh to me at loud volumes....I think some of that may be the hardness of the small room they're in (wood floors, and not a whole lot of decorations, no curtains, things like that)....but I'm curious what your situation is. Have you upgraded and what are your thoughts n feelings on what you've tried? I'm sure you've spoken about this already so I don't expect a full report, just what you would recommend to a new owner. I keep reading about upgrading the mid horn, but haven't yet found a direct bolt-in replacement. I don't want to cut the cabs or have horns sitting on top of unused horns. And then obviously I'll get new crossovers at some point soon. Have you done the ported riser mod? I don't want to lose ANY of the tight and fast LS bass. I have a subwoofer but if the ported riser adds in more quality bass without hurting the existing bass, I'd definitely do it. I've read from one person that it can do just that with the right length ports, but, would love another opinion.

I've not done the riser mod. I (now considered a "mistake" to use too harsh of a word) upgraded the crossovers to some extreme slope crossovers otherwise, mine are 1979 bone stock.

Now that I "know what I know", what would I do?

Well, you've already nixed the idea of it.....so, to be a bit redundant.

I'd bypass the mid/high horns totally and instead, use the Klipsch K510 (if you want "small") or their huge K402 (if you want balls to the wall) and actively cross the speaker.

As I said....I own them and will never part with them. That said, the "JubeScala" (the huge K402 on top) will utterly trounce & shame the stock LaScala. Going active, will allow you to add a PEQ in there to help tame the sidewalls from resonating (and muddying up your sound a bit)

Given you aren't not interested in a horn on top or, modifying the cabinet too much (the K510 is also a fantastic sounding horn but is not a direct drop in)

Anyway, given that.... then do the mundane everyday routine that people talk about...

Consider refreshing or replacing your crossovers.... contact either Crites or ALK
Consider upgrading your tweeter (Crites I guess)
Consider upgrading your woofer (Crites again)

Maybe put a cross member in there to help stop the sides from resonating. They really are "robbing" you of what will sound like an entire octave of bass. If you've ever heard the LaScala II, then (as I was told by Jim Hunter himself) the amount of bass from the two speakers is the same, it only sounds like the LaScala II plays deeper because it doesn't have the destructive interference that the originals have.

You can do the above and be happy as a bug in a rug.

Later in life, if you hear a large format throat and a 2-way version (which will greatly increase the intelligibility of the speaker since you're losing a crossover point), you will slap yourself and wonder why you didn't do that in the beginning!

Once you go with larger format horns, it's very difficult to go back. Even Mr. Crites once said something to the effect of "Once you hear the bigger horns, the smaller speakers sound more like toys"

I totally agree

Now that you know I've owned a pair since 1979, I feel rather free to say some negative things about them.....because I'm NOT bashing on them. I've been there. I own a K510, I own the K402...I've heard them side by side...

If you are within distance to audition, you're welcome over and can hear a side by side (stock horns on one side with extreme crossovers, K510 or 402 on other side with active crossover) and make your own thoughts.....but you can keep the cat turds at your house. I've got my own to keep track of...

Carrot.JPG

but you can keep the cat turds at your house. I've got my own to keep track of...

lol! :D

I've got a couple here as well. They're pretty good about not pooping in my speakers. Hasn't happened to date. One of them LOVES bass and sometimes lays on top of a speaker enjoying the vibes.

Turns out we're about 8 hours apart from each other by car, so if I'm ever down that way already I'll get ahold of you because I would love to hear the difference. You're not the first person I've read make the claim that there's a huge difference....and it does have me thinking. Main reason I don't want horns on top is because I've envisioned putting a nice big mineral specimen/crystal on top of each of the speakers. But, I'm all about upgrading and enhancing, like many people in this hobby, so I'll be keeping an eye out for both the K402's and K510's. Would love to happen upon a pair at an estate sale for cheap...

Another thing is, with the K510's I could modify the cab and fit them in, which I don't want to do RIGHT NOW, because La Scalas have always been up on a pedestal for me even though I'd never heard them before a few days ago....and cutting into them just doesn't feel right. But, perhaps in time I'll open up more to the idea of cutting the HF section out for a pair of 510's.

Maybe put a cross member in there to help stop the sides from resonating. They really are "robbing" you of what will sound like an entire octave of bass. If you've ever heard the LaScala II, then (as I was told by Jim Hunter himself) the amount of bass from the two speakers is the same, it only sounds like the LaScala II plays deeper because it doesn't have the destructive interference that the originals have.

Well that is interesting....braces definitely seem worthwhile, and likely will be something I do. But I haven't heard a LaScala II, and I've actually read a couple people say that braces seemed to lean the bass out in their experience. Now I realize that if that's the case then it's because of a loss of distortion/flabbiness which was being perceived as more bass, and losing that is not a bad thing in theory....but I'm not sure I want leaner bass at all out of these! Have you braced yours?

And lastly, how do you like your extreme slope crossover? Notice a big difference at time of install?

Greatly appreciate all the assistance!

lol Yes indeed they did. Or one did, anyways. The boomy/muddy bass was absolutely intolerable. I couldn't believe so many people thought so highly of these CRAPPY speakers. :D A piece of another creature's poo has never made me so happy.

I own 84 model LaScalas and like them very much. They had AL crossovers when I got em and did the Crites upgrade and it brightened them right up. my living room is really too small for them but on the long wall they do well.

Coytee, what do you drive yours with may I ask? I was using a MC250 and it sounded sterile. Then switched to a SET amp and I liked it better.

G8, those speakers look great! Hope you enjoy them! Al

I found my (1978) La Scalas to be harsh too. I dropped the midrange -3 db at the crossover and it made a world of difference.

I own 84 model LaScalas and like them very much. They had AL crossovers when I got em and did the Crites upgrade and it brightened them right up. my living room is really too small for them but on the long wall they do well.

Coytee, what do you drive yours with may I ask? I was using a MC250 and it sounded sterile. Then switched to a SET amp and I liked it better.

G8, those speakers look great! Hope you enjoy them! Al

I am thoroughly enjoying them now! My living room is small too, but they still sound great. I'll set them up outside some day soon so I can hear them from 20-30 feet away.....I'm sure it will be gorgeous. My front yard is connected to a huge open field of mowed grass. (a park) Could totally have a concert with the stage in my front yard. :)

And they do look great....the edges are a little worn but overall they're just fine. On my way back home from picking these up, I kept looking behind me through the back window of the truck's cab and having waves of elation and appreciation that I had LA SCALAS in my truck. This was while there was a beautiful sunset casting a lovely warm glow onto the fronts of the speakers (they were on their backs). Was amazing. I'd say I never saw it coming, and I didn't see these exact speakers coming, but I've sure visualized and imagined having wonderful horn speakers plenty of times, and always believe that whatever I want I can achieve/acquire as long as I stay tuned in to it. Always works. And yet it's hard to imagine believing somebody had they told me a month ago I'd have La Scalas in my living room. The wonders of life ;)

I found my (1978) La Scalas to be harsh too. I dropped the midrange -3 db at the crossover and it made a world of difference.

So which crossover do you have, and how do you like it? Compared to stock? I may try tinkering with the EQ on my receiver for now...until I upgrade the crossovers. At lower listening levels there's no harshness, just when I crank them....but I love doing that almost daily, regardless what speakers I'm listening to.

Would love to happen upon a pair at an estate sale for cheap...

Save yourself the frustration.... unless you're one of the lucky lottery winner type.... it's not likely to happen. First, there aren't that many out there.... those that are would be fairly recent purchases so the owner wouldn't be fedup with them yet. They sound dang good so there's nothing to get fedup with!

I know what you mean about outdoor concerts... I'd like to bring my two MWM cabinets to the house (from storage) so we could use them.

Mine are currently relegated to rear channel duty. They're buried in the wall and I have a dbx BX-3 connected to them.

I understand the hesitation of cutting into them. I bought mine new and I don't know that I have 4 other things in my life that I've owned as long as them. We've been through a lot of life together.....I'm a sentimental old fool.... if I bought a used pair, I'd not mind cutting them a bit....but these are "mine"...so will remain uncut regardless of the sonic benefits. I don't have room to put a 510 or 402 above them so they'll just do rear channel duty.

Regarding crossovers.... since these don't get main air-play....the next comment will actually be directed towards my old Khorns that are now gone as they too, had some ALK extreme slope crossovers.

What I've come to understand (right or wrong) is the louder you listen and/or the further away you are from the speaker (remember, this is the Khorn as my reference) then the higher slopes might work. My Khorns didn't gel with their sound until you stood 30' away from them and they were NOTICICEABLY nicer sounding. Seems the steeper slope crossovers require more time (therefore distance) for the more isolated drivers to gel into a single sound bubble.

If you listen "in the same room" with them (again, Khorns) the sound might not gel close enough.

If you're jamming outdoors, heck yes!

With an active (if you decided to jump into the water) you can better isolate the drivers but, you can also adjust the delay so they're coming together pretty quickly out of the box. The Jubilee comes together into a single bubble within something like 10' which is 20' better than the Khorns.

Attachments

• DSCN6298.JPG
    DSCN6298.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN6266.JPG
    DSCN6266.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 55
  • g5.jpg
    g5.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Grills 1.jpg
    Grills 1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 56
  • 2jubscala.jpg
    2jubscala.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 58
  • JubeScala II.JPG
    JubeScala II.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 55
  • JubLSI.jpg
    JubLSI.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 53
Well that is interesting....braces definitely seem worthwhile, and likely will be something I do

To make a lot of work out of it.... (preface that if I bought a used pair of LaScalas, I'd have zero attachment to them and would feel very free to "do what I say" verses what I actually do!

None the less.... you might consider, instead of a brace in the mouth, wrapping them in another 3/4" layer of plywood. Now, you can use this new layer to tidy up the corners and then veneer them with something fancy.... you can create a new motorboard on the front and make room for a bigger cutout and slide a K510 in there at the same time.

Now, you've gone 2-way, beefed up the sides (speaker will weigh a ton) and prettied it up all at the same time.

. I'll set them up outside some day soon so I can hear them from 20-30 feet away.....I'm sure it will be gorgeous. [/QUOTE]

I love to get mine in the yard. Check out my avitar. Those are my La Scala in the back of the photo.

Another day.
IMG_0500.JPG

Those are my La Scala in the back of the photo.

Nice!

I've sold my singles.... and have two more double bins that are 20 miles away in storage. I'd love to bring them home but they're such monsters (the wife would never let me hear the end of it)

Did this one day. With the active, could create several combos of the parts. In the end, they all sounded good.....some better than others, but all good.

DSCN6453.JPG

So which crossover do you have, and how do you like it? Compared to stock?

Original AA crossovers rebuilt with Crite's kits. You can move the location of the mid connection on the transformer to knock it down -3 db. I can look it up if you need more info. Easy mod to do.

My AA Crossovers are a couple years old from Crites, might for kicks hook up the old AL xovers to see if the bass is improved, probably not though....fun to try :)

Back
Top Bottom