lttnorth

Back in February, I found the elusive set on Craigslist somewhere in Florida. This came after about a year of searching, and this was the first pair I had ever personally seen up for sale. They were asking $100, and I was fortunate enough to have a good friend who lived close by, so he picked them up for me. They were in beautiful shape and still had the cloth covers. Aside from the plastic pegs that hold the covers on being snapped off, I couldn't have asked for a better-looking set.

Fast forward to May. I had to save up some cash to pay my friend to ship them out here to the west coast. I chose Fed Ex as it was the cheapest option by a small margin. $265 later, they were on their way. And sadly, this is where things took a disastrous turn. Fed Ex dropped one of them in transit, cracked the cabinet below the woofer and threw the driver out of alignment, causing major coil rub. I thought maybe I could fix it myself, perhaps adjusting the magnet on the back. That proved to be incredibly stupid as I only made it worse. So much so, in fact, that after I took the speaker in to get fixed, the shop said the damage was beyond repair. They replaced the woofer with a cheap $20 8-ohm one, and charged me $75 in the process. I was absolutely ticked.

This whole time, my friend had been fighting Fed Ex for me to at lease get a claim going for insurance payout. In late June he told me they ruled in my favor and would be paying out $480 total. Still, didn't fix the fact that I now had a bum pair of incredibly rare speakers. I am actually still waiting on that check to arrive; apparently Fed Ex can't even do their own logistics right and sent his checks to the wrong address, and the next time never sent them out at all because he didn't notify them of his new address (he did). Ever since I got the speakers back though I had been searching for a suitable replacement. A friend at work said he would "consider" selling me his Infinity Quantum 3s which were in mint shape. Honestly it's probably the better speaker but he was asking far too much, even with my potential insurance money. And until yesterday, I've been sitting here in limbo not knowing what else to do.

I guess out of habit, I check Craigslist to see if anything new pops up, even if it's something I already have. I typed in "MCS speakers" and to my disbelief, there was another pair of 8228 speakers for sale only 37 miles from my home. The guy said that he recently refoamed the woofers and was planning to do a full restoration of the crossovers and caps, but due to medical issues he could not finish and decided to off-load them for $140. I'm still amazed thinking back about this whole ordeal. I spent the better part of 7 months trying to obtain these dumb speakers and out of no where, another set just popped up. The cabinets are perfect, but of course there were a few hitches. The woofers have definitely been re-foamed and taken care of, but the mids and tweeters were kind of crappy looking. In fact, one of the tweeters wasn't even original (a fact I missed when I picked them up), and one of the mids appeared to be dead. Aside from that, the domes all were very dirty; I'm sure anyone familiar with these speakers know that the domes are yellowish orange and have that sunny-side-up fried egg look to them. But these were all very dark for some reason, as if someone rubbed motor oil over them. On top of that, the back side of the magnets on just about every mid had some serious rust issues (maybe not rust; There was a lot of this strange white powder collecting on the back of the magnets. My guess is some kind of moisture issue). I was fortunate enough that my previous set's mids and tweeters were all in fabulous shape, so I swapped every single one of them and now this set looks good as new.

So that's my story. I'm not sure what I'll do with the bum pair, maybe someone will want to part it out for crossovers or something. There's still at least one good woofer, three good mids and one tweeter. As far as where I should go from here to complete the restoration, I honestly am not savvy with speaker repair and could rely on someone with more knowledge, especially with these MCS speakers. I don't know what's in need of restoration and what I can probably just leave be.

IMG_5280.jpg

More photos in the spoiler

IMG_2611.PNG
D6998A05-75E7-4C4F-961E-10F5A2F4157B.JPG IMG_3854.JPG
IMG_3855.JPG
IMG_3861.JPG
IMG_5261.jpg
IMG_5281.JPG

Last edited:
How did you get $480 out of Fedex. In my experience (admittedly many years old by now), you have to prove the value of the broken item to them. What did you use for value?

The insurance was only $100 per speaker, plus the cost of shipping so in the end the check was for about $473. I too had to prove the value of these, which was incredibly hard to do since there is so little information on them. So I asked some guys here on the forum if they had any JC Penney brochures that included the MSRP of the speakers. Sure enough, Hifirob2 came to the rescue for me with a ‘78 Christmas catalog showing the $800 price tag. It was enough to get the job done.

It’s just too bad they didn’t pay out after adjusting for inflation!

Well you would have had to insure them for that amount to begin with, but it likely would have been a long shot anyway.

Man, what a wild ride to get these speakers - but worth it in the end. How do they sound with the 3125 driving them?

I've given up looking for a pair near me. Instead, I stumbled upon a pair of MCS 8730 headphones. Their best pair, and so much easier to ship. :)

Happy listening!

I didn’t know there were MCS headphones! I can’t find any pictures online; I’d love to see what those look like.

They sound excellent especially once I spread them out. Very clean and very sensitive...almost too sensitive maybe? This might be my own wiring issue but I can hear a buzzing from the tweeters when I adjust the volume knob, because of the electrical current my skin draws. I don’t know if it’s always been there and that could be just down to how the 3125 is built. but it’s annoying hearing that buzz whenever I touch the knob with my bare hand.

I look forward to any thread regarding these speakers. I have a pair ( and a spare for parts) that I listen to daily, and are not going anywhere. I acquired them from a fellow AKer, and posted a rebuild thread here. I'm running mine with a rebuilt Phase linear 400 and a carver c1. Damn, these things can crank and be smooth at the same time. If I was you, I'd keep the spare drivers, crossovers, and good cab for parts if ever needed. Trying to find replacements would be nearly impossible. Quality stuff. hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

I didn’t know there were MCS headphones! I can’t find any pictures online; I’d love to see what those look like.

Here's a poor picture of the MCS headphones I've come across. The 8710s are on the left, and the 8730s are in the middle. They were re-badged Technics models from the late 70s. I don't have the middle model - the 8720s. Very interesting design, and the 8730s sound much better than I expected. Technics called them "Linear Drive", and their model number was EAH-830. The little 8750s on the right are probably from the mid 80s. (Edit...I just found out that the little 8750s are a rebadged Technics EAH-01 sold from about 1982-88, and are even harder to find than the 8730s). MCS headphones don't turn up very often, but the 8730s are worth hunting for, and sound excellent with the right amount of EQ.

Most headphones from JCPenney back in the day were around $9.95 - $18.95. The 8730s were $79.95 in 1979 (the 8710s were $34.95), so they probably didn't sell many of them.

MCS_headphones.jpg

Technics_EAH_830.jpg

Last edited:
I love my 8228s. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. I stumbled upon my pair, didn’t know what I was looking at other than big and heavy. I’d be interested in that spare tweeter if you decide to part it out.

Back
Top Bottom