Across the pond challenge....

Almonds

I'm from the US, but I'm currently in England. I know they make some great speakers over here.
My question is, are there any speakers I can get while I'm over here for a great price that I should really check out? I feel like this is a great opportunity, but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks!

For vintage : Kef, Celestion, Monitor Audio or Rogers.....
For more modern ones, I'm not qualified.
Are there any thrift stores ? If not for a long stay, I would too be wondering where to start.
Any British fellow AKer online ?
Have a nice stay btw:beerchug:

ATC, Harbeth, Proac, and Spendor are all considerably cheaper in the UK.
I have a pair of ATC SCM 11v2 that I like a lot, probably would have bought the SCM 19v2 at UK prices.

JPW AP2s are great value for money, you can still pick these up for around 60 sterling there's a Heybrook equivalent that are better sounding but will cost more.
Have a look on eBay and gumtree.

Missions and Wharfedales are plentiful and cheap, won't be outstanding but respectable.
Looking for something more upmarket :
+1 for the Tannoy
Gale
Bowers and Wilkins

Have a look at puresounds website, always something interesting there. I think they're in Scotland.

I'm partial to Celestion's Model 7, and I've liked the somewhat larger Linn Keilidh speaker. Haven't seen any of the latter in Northern California in 20 years.

While in London 2 years ago we rode by a store front that had as a display many, many tube amps with the filaments glowing and in back of the bunch(25?) of tube amps were many speakers. It was raining and the view was very brief as the traffic was moving but I saw what I saw. In downtown London near St. Martin's theater. We left for home(New Mexico)the next morning so I could not go back to check. Any verification would be nice.

Mission 770s are some of the most detailed speakers I have ever heard. They weren't considered monitor speakers for nothing. In fact, that whole range of 700, 717, 727 and 770 are all sweet sounding.

Lee.

Last edited:
Spendor and ATC...and Tannoy and Quad.

and maybe that Bowers and Wilkins company too ;-)

jblnut

Back
Top Bottom