Acrylic HPM 100's

When these were in my Dads house he had anther set of 100's that sat on top of these.

I bet that looked cool !

I have a set of stacked speakers with some of that odd foamy looking non slip tool box drawer liner between them too take any chances of sliding out of mind.

Last edited:
Yeah I have seen these go for big cash in EX. cond. in the past.. just to have as a novelty item.

Best-

Boozehound

Last edited:
odd foamy looking non slip tool box drawer liner between them

Be very careful with that stuff. Not sure how it behaves in your climate, but it 'eats' into plastics and polishes after a while. I had a piece on top of a turntable lid and it wrecked it completely, creating patterned pits. I've thrown out all of it in our house,

Be very careful with that stuff. Not sure how it behaves in your climate, but it 'eats' into plastics and polishes after a while. I had a piece on top of a turntable lid and it wrecked it completely, creating patterned pits. I've thrown out all of it in our house,

I guess you wouldn't want it on those HPM's then ! I've got it between some vinyl wrapped speakers, I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe look for some actual rubber.

I think you all have convinced me to hold on to these. It looks like the needed parts are available. I think I will try to polish the cabinets before I put any money in them. I will take some before and after pic's and keep you updated. Thanks to everyone
Excellent!!!:naughty:

I think you all have convinced me to hold on to these. It looks like the needed parts are available. I think I will try to polish the cabinets before I put any money in them.

As was suggested, if you haven't before polished plexi you might want to experiment on something that doesn't matter. Buy a small sheet, scratch it up, sand it flat and polish. Second game counts.

A sanding block will keep the sandpaper from creating ripples and waves which will happen if it is folded. Using buffing wheels can create the same problem and leave whorls. It is easy to overheat plastic using power tools. This is a job for handwork.

If you can find someone local who has refinished a clear turntable cover you might be able to get some hands-on help.

Wet sanding plexi is an interesting process where at first one begins with a horrible sinking feeling of "what was I thinking, I've ruined this!", which turns into a "this might be salvageable, but I doubt it, but I'll keep at it" feeling, then into a "ok, that doesn't look totally awful, but it doesn't look very good, I should never have started", to a "huh, that looks about what it did when I started but without the deep scratches, this might actually work!", to a "wow, that's pretty amazing, I could totally live with this, should I stop?", to "I can't believe it looked like this good when new, it's glass clear and completely smooth, I am a refinishing god, all must bow down before me".

Not saying you'll have this exact experience, just saying it isn't uncommon so don't panic.

YouTube will have lots of videos you might find helpful.

Congratulations on your new HPM-100 speakers. The acrylic version is on man audiophile's bucket list. Enjoy.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I gutted one of the cabinets today and cleaned it up. Using only glass cleaner and some elbow grease. Looks pretty damn good, considering what it looked like to start with. I picked the roughest one to start on. The midrange speaker is missing and the hole was used as a mouse nursery for some time.

You can try some of the Novus polish, which is a very mild polish. I bought the 8oz kit and the glass cleaner is not useful, but I wanted the two larger bottles and this was, at least at the time, the most cost-effective way to buy it.

Here's the kit: https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7100-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UCYRZU

I used that to rejuvenate a plexiglass cover form the 1980s which had scratches and scuffs. It easily removed the stuffs and minor ones to the point it looked spectacular. Close enough to new that i was happy. I didn't take out the deepest scratches, but it did smooth the edges and that likely reduced the light scattering.

I don't know the cutting factor of the headlight rejuvenator. I just like the coarse/fine of the Novus as it did not create swirls or ripples in the thin plexi I was polishing. I did use a block to avoid this, but I don't know it mattered either way.

Back
Top Bottom