Act of desperation...

D-Zyne

I am at wit's end with regards to my wife's pet Yorkie and desperately need help (psychological, chemical, whatever I can get...)
We have a great relationship, just married last month, but this dog is a CONSTANT source of irritation...it barks, it chews, it rips into the trash, etc... We went to a professional trainer which helped a little bit (it doesn't pee on the floor anymore and the barking has subsided SLIGHTLY). But the biggest problem is when we're both at work, I come home daily to a disaster area. I told her I want it caged anytime we're not around and she claims its dangerous (????)

Doews ANYBODY out there have ANY dog training suggestions/experience that might help us out?

I love animals, I've lived with dogs for over 20 yrs of my life...but I swear to god, I am going to kill this thing very soon...

:twak: :whip: :gigglemad :uzi:

We have Cairn Terriers. We keep them caged anytime we are not home. We have had them for 12 years. Never an issue

D-Zyne,
My sister has a part terrier|part chihuaa(SP) geez you could spell that word forever.
Savannah(the dog) is a great little dog,but like all little dogs,she is high-strung.She barks at anything or anyone that enters the house.
If the Yorkie tears things apart when you are gone,it usually means she is pissed off you are gone.Savannah will eat klennex if she can find them in rebellion.
What does seem to quiet her is,believe or not music.Try putting the CDP on repeat and see if your house is less destroyed when you get home.The music tends to soothe Savannah quite a bit.
I would say Yorkie is a little jealous of you,in time she will adjust.Good Luck and have a Merry One

Alan

no use putting yourself though the dogs behavior, and added expenses if it is this irritating. Just get rid of it.

The only thing I can suggest is to cordon off a room, (a closed in porch works good if you have one) with baby gates. It may take a few gates to close all the openings but hey, if you ever have kids, you're all set for gates!

This in effect is a cage, but a big one, where he can roam around a little.
Make sure there is nothing worth anything in this space for him to ruin.

This used to work for me when I had puppies until they grew out of that puppy stage.

Hope this helps a little, good luck.

no use putting yourself though the dogs behavior, and added expenses if it is this irritating. Just get rid of it.

You ever argued with the PMS monster before? If it were up to me, that thing would have been gone last year.....

I've been living with the beast for almost two years now, I don't know how much longer it can take to "adjust". And I have to go to work...

I'll try all of these suggestions and see what happens.

Thanks to all

Another dog... Preferrably a larger breed who won't take any sh!t from a little ankle-biter. That ought to mellow the little PITA out!

:yikes: :pawprint:

Psycho dog!!

Well, my wife and I grew up with dogs, so here's a few thoughts.

Right off the bat, I know you already know this, but never issue an ultimatum (i.e. "the dog goes or....") unless you're fully prepared to hear the answer you don't want to hear!

1. Has the dog always had this behavior, that is before you and your wife started living together? If not, it's certainly possible that you're just getting to know each other a little better! Plus, jealousy of you kissing his master, etc. Be friendly, lots of head scratching, petting etc., (the dog!) and hope it gets better. If the dog has always been like this, then...

2. Dogs like to run, they love to play, they need the exercise, and they need to burn off energy. Don't know how your sweetie (the dog!) feels about running around in the snow, but taking it for a nice walk/run before you leave for work might work wonders. Tire the little shit out, if nothing else!

3. It might just be pissed off about being left alone every day, and is showing its frustration. Since keeping your jobs is probably fairly high on your priority list, that leads to...

4. Minimize the damage. You mentioned that you took it to a trainer, with minimal results. Indoor dogs should not chew things up and tear up the trash when left alone. Puppies, sure, but not an adult, trained, housebroken dog. As has been mentioned, close it in a room that can be kid-proofed. Nothing breakable or chewable, lots of toys for the dog to chew on and fling around. It will certainly be more acceptable to your wife than putting the dog in a cage during the day. Besides, putting it in a cage during the day would probably make it go totally berserko.

5. Constant barking...that drives you crazy. It's also, as you're learning, difficult to stop, because it's difficult to figure out why the dog barks. Anger, boredom, wanting you to come back, protecting its turf when it hears strange sounds, could be lots of things. There are collar devices that the dog can wear that deliver a shock when it senses the sound of a loud bark. Eventually the dog learns not to bark. There's also a chance the dog will become very subdued and quiet, almost afraid to move or make a sound. For obvious reasons, including the chance that you might wake up one morning with it around your own neck, a lot of people don't like these collars.

Since the wife and the dog were a package deal, compromise is the only way. I assume that your wife sees that your trying your best to be accomodating to the dog. If she hasn't had the dog for a long time there is a possibility that she might come to the conclusion that the dog is such a problem that it has to go. If she's had it for 5 years, that's probably not going to happen.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. Wish you the best!

We just got our first actual snow of the season. Almost an inch! Wow! Just like the northeast. ;)

Have a great holiday,
Clay

Caging the dog is not only in your best interests but the dogs as well. If you go to google and search crate training you'll find tonnes of information on how best to crate train the animal. It's fairly obvious that the animal is jealous of you and until the animal learns that you are the alpha male in the house this pattern of behaviour will continue. Good Luck!!!

Mike

First off it's not a cage, cages are in zoos, call it a dog crate and she might feel better about it. Most people I know who have dogs that can't be trusted when the owners are away crate their dog. It is not cruel or inhumane. Just be sure it is a big enough crate lotsa of water and some toys and she'll be fine ;) Like Pro Ac said it is safer for the dog as well since she could chew comething and choke on it etc., we have pomeranians and I have had to do the doggy heimlich (sp?) maneuver on our littlest one twice cuz she chewed on something, lucky I was home.

i am totally with proac on this one. get yourself a crate, and put doggie in there when not at home. it is in everyone's best interest, doggie's too. search the net like pro sez, crate is the way to go.

shrinkboy

Our last dog didn't have a crate, but when we got our new puppy in the summer of 2002, we got a crate. If you read up on them, you'll find that crating is a very common and recommended option. The crate becomes the dogs' safe/private space and not a dungeon. Our dog goes in hers when she wants some private time and has no problem spending time in it overnight or when we are away. The shelter we got Emmy from used and recommended them, as does our vet.

Aside from that, I feel for you. I'm not a fan of little, yappy, foo-foo dogs (like yours/hers); our Emmy is an 80# English Springer Spaniel mutt. You probably need to tread softly on the entire issue with your wife; her attachment to the dog may be very strong and she may be hesitant to show it the "strong" love it needs. You might want to look into a local dog club to see how others deal with these behaviors. Your vet may be able to help you there.

Good Luck!

Well fine, Thor. I said I (me, Andy) don't like them; doesn't mean you can't love 'em up?

That photo you posted a while back (dog 'n' brew) didn't look like that anyway.

Did you ever have these issues with your Poms? I know, like with most things, they're easier to prevent than cure.

No he's a pom just an el cheapo Pom, he only cost $150 heres the show pom my moms gave us ;) No no lingering problems we kept the small one in a crate till she got housebroken, I also gate off the living room where all my gear is, they are not allowed in there alone ;)

Wow, that's a small dog!

I bet you have hardly anything to clean up outside; heck how would you find it??

With our Emmy, we have the extreme opposite situation :eek:

LOL! Too funny that dog in the leaves is named Emma ;) We call her Emmy all the time :p:

Clean up? I just let nature do it's thang ;)

Back
Top Bottom