active or passive biamp?MC352/275

jmajma

Hi everybody,

I need advices: I own two MC352 with C41 and BW 802N:what would be the best OYO among the 3 solutions:
1-The MC 352 bridged in mono, one per speaker.
2-One on bass in stereo , the second on medium/tweeter in stereo.
3-I can exchange one with a MC 275 CE and I would use thisone on medium/tweeter, the other MC 352 on bass, with an analogic filter, active biamp.

What would you do, knowing that the best is to try.

Jean-Marc, France.

Jean-Marc,
I don't know which is your best option but you did leave out one of my favorite multiple amp set ups.

Verticle bi-amp. One amp per speaker with one channel on bass and the other channel on mid/Tweeter. The benefits are you could put each amp next to the speaker and have short speaker cables and this way the amps share the major current draw, the bass load.

I think you could get the best results by removing the speakers crossover and using active external crossovers but this is extreamly difficult to get set up properly.

If it were me I would trade in you two MC352s for a pair of MC501s and enjoy a simply mono block set up.

Victor

Impedence

Check other threads here for some advice from Ron-C about connecting the top ends to different output taps than the bass. I seem to recall that the upper and lower ends of the B&Ws are quite different in impedence, and you might get better results with an active crossover to match the gain levels. Good luck!

Thanks Victor, I 've thought that, having a chemney between the speakers, I would have an XLR cable of 6.5 meter: is there any inconvenient ?

Thanks too Negotiableterms, I remember too what Ron-C said and I actually plug in 4 ohms my BW, and it's great, better than 8 ohms.

Why is it so difficult to match the gains of MC 352 and MC275 for EXAmple?How do I have to do?

Thanks a lot.

jmajma said:
Thanks Victor, I 've thought that, having a chemney between the speakers, I would have an XLR cable of 6.5 meter: is there any inconvenient ?

Why is it so difficult to match the gains of MC 352 and MC275 for EXAmple?How do I have to do?

Thanks a lot.

I would think it would be better to use a long XLR cable with short speaker cables than to use long speaker cables.

It would be easy to match the gains if you were using a MC275 because it has gain controls built in, so the MC275 would be a good match. But if you were using 2 amps without gain controls like your MC352 with a new MC2102 you would need to add something to match the gains, some type of external resistor assembly which could hurt the sound.

Victor

Back
Top Bottom