Actors who play characters not much different than themselves?

Christian Slater usually plays roles close to his IRL personality.

(Although I think he did a pretty good job of channeling Jack Nicholson in "Heathers")

:whip:

I play a Jewish dude with eyeglasses.

MTE5NDg0MDU1Mzg2Njg2OTkx.jpg

Sometimes, I play a Jewish dude with contact lenses.

court-orders-woman-to-stay-away-from-jeff-goldblum.jpg

Sometimes I play a doily salesman on Portlandia:

1b.jpg

Sometimes I play a decorative knot salesman on Portlandia:

1a.jpg

Hard to believe this now but...."The Brad Pitt of the Eighties" : Mickey Roarke.

For the most part from what I've read and what I've seen in the movies he has been in, its pretty much what you see and what you hear is what you get.

Hard to believe this now but...."The Brad Pitt of the Eighties" : Mickey Roarke.

For the most part from what I've read and what I've seen in the movies he has been in, its pretty much what you see and what you hear is what you get.
It's pretty amazing how Roarke aged. between booze and getting his head beaten in in the ring, and shitty plastic surgery in a failed attempt to correct his face, he looks awful.
He was very popular for about 8 years, and that was it.
Small role but loved him in Body Heat.
Talk about aging. Kathleen Turner. WTF?

Somebody mentioned Patrick McGoohan. I like him in just about everything he was in.

There was "The Rock", I thought he must have had a one time alimony payment to make.
What about The League Of Extraordinary Gentleman? Royal turkey. he got his 20 Million paycheck for that, and walked away. Shame it was his last film.

It's pretty amazing how Roarke aged. between booze and getting his head beaten in in the ring, and shitty plastic surgery in a failed attempt to correct his face, he looks awful.

Very much agree. I really don't think he required any makeup at all for his part as "Marv" in the Sin City movies. He really looks that way!:rflmao:

I read that the late Peter O'Toole looked for roles that he felt comfortable playing. Not sure if he was trying to play himself on the big screen as some of his roles were varied but he did put himself in each and every character? I do know that he must have had a good deal of persistence as he stayed with "Lawrence of Arabia" which took two years to complete! He was one heck of an actor.

Q2

Last edited:
I'll go with Buddy Ebsen. While I don't think he was a backwoods bumpkin by a long shot, in every TV show and movie he was in (with the exception of being a crook on Hawaii Five-0 and the bum on The Andy Griffith Show) it just seemed that "down home charm" was present in every role whether it was Jed, Barnaby or whoever. I've watched interviews Buddy did, and he always came across as that likable guy that you'd want to spend an afternoon with chatting about life.

I would highly recommend a movie he did in the early 80's with Ronnie Howard, Fire on the Mountain. I won't give away any plots, but if you like Buddy or Ronnie, or just a good laid back family movie in general, it's worth it.

Just to put another spin on things...I've often wonder that once an actor is "type cast"...do they either try to live up to their screen image in order to increase ticket sales, or do they really start to believe it themsleves.

Hmmmm?

Q2

Back
Top Bottom