Actors who play characters not much different than themselves?

Thought to ressurect this past thread to re-examine some of the type-casts that I keep seeing and seeing in the movies/TV series and getting pretty darned tired of watching the same old actors playing the same roles! Surely there must be some new talent in the wings who can breathe some fresh air into these productions.

I swear, these past talented must be rollin' out on the set in their wheelchairs in order to make it to the different scenes. Won't mention any in particular as I don't want to step on any artsy toes...but what goes?

Am I the only one who is getting just a little bit peeved at having to take in these same weathered actors of both genders?

Q

Last edited:
I saw a documentary that examined the lives of several character actors. Things are fine if you get on a successful series for a few years, but there are also lean times with no calls from the agent. I think they choose typecasting over not eating. My wife watches these low budget Hallmark romantic comedies and you see a bunch of actors/actresses form old TV series trying to keep their heads above water.

Didn't read the whole thread but I would have to guess over 75% of all female actresses play themselves on film. Maybe not the entire film but especially the crazy parts. Most of the memorable scenes and many female awards go the roles of pulling out the crazy card. Maybe "drama" instead of crazy sounds less misogynistic? Not my wife or mother of course but basically every other woman on the planet doesn't have to dig too deep to "act" crazy. And it starts at a very young age. "The Bad Seed" probably wouldn't have been as disturbing with a boy. Imagine "Carey" with Jim Carey... Reverse the roles in "Gone Girl"... Pick your favorite movie with a crazy female part and your are probably getting a glimpse into her everyday life. What was the topic of this thread again? Oh yah, for guys acting like themselves I pick Mark Duplass. He is starting to become more mainstream but "Creep", "People Like Us", "Hump Day" even "Tammy" he seems to pretty much be himself. Peachfuzz!

I saw a documentary that examined the lives of several character actors. Things are fine if you get on a successful series for a few years, but there are also lean times with no calls from the agent. I think they choose typecasting over not eating. My wife watches these low budget Hallmark romantic comedies and you see a bunch of actors/actresses form old TV series trying to keep their heads above water.

It can be a gamble as far as a career choice (have one in the family). If you include theater in your efforts, you can make a decent living without anyone ever knowing who you are.

And then- like music- there is the conflict between artistic aspirations and the commercial realities you mention. Look no further than Robert Reed who was trained as a Shakespearian actor but ended up as America's favorite dad for a time. Now, he actually had a very successful career as a TV actor. But I doubt he was ever happy about it.

So, Bob, are you saying that the bottom line is...economics? They run outta money, and the producers can pay less than they did when the actors were fresh on the scene?

I do know that prob many theatrical efforts are set up with the mainliner being the proposed "draw", hoping that Joe Public will want to take in their productions. Again a case of economics? But even with this person attraction, it must have diminishing results as the hero has trouble keeping up with the action/times?

Just sayin', eh?

Q

I don't think it's all economics. They need to keep their face in front of the public so they don't entirely disappear. I don't know if it's just me, but these actors/actresses who take lesser roles seem to overact and try to make that small appearance bigger than it is in hopes someone will spot them for a future project.

I imagine. That. Christopher Walken is, in fact. Very much.....like the way HE SEEMS.

In the movies.

It's CRAZY.

James Garner always played the same wise cracking character and people who knew him will tell you that's the way he was.
He was a funny guy with a quick wit. I remember Barbara Walter's asking him would he ever do a nude scene and he quipped" oh please Barbara I don't do horror films".

It's pretty amazing how Roarke aged. between booze and getting his head beaten in in the ring, and shitty plastic surgery in a failed attempt to correct his face, he looks awful.
He was very popular for about 8 years, and that was it.
Small role but loved him in Body Heat.
Talk about aging. Kathleen Turner. WTF?

Somebody mentioned Patrick McGoohan. I like him in just about everything he was in.
Well Rourke had a resurgence in his role Wrestler with Marisa Torme and then played a villain in two Iron Man movies. He has once again disapeared.

Nobody seems to remember Jim Nabors (Gomer Pyle). Buddy Ebsen has played some different roles and I think he would have made a great Tin Man in "Wizard of OZ" if he had not been allergic to the metallic makeup. He was, by training a dancer and he and his sister had a dance school in Orlando. When I was a student at Rollins College, the theater department used to use their dance studio for a rehearsal space. In "Beverley Hillbillies' Buddy got a few chances to show off his "hoofing" talents.

:whip:

I play a Jewish dude with eyeglasses.

MTE5NDg0MDU1Mzg2Njg2OTkx.jpg

Sometimes, I play a Jewish dude with contact lenses.

court-orders-woman-to-stay-away-from-jeff-goldblum.jpg

He is definitely a method actor,.....

Judd Hirsch is an actor that always plays the same type of roles.
TAXI
DEAR JOHN
NUMBERS
INDEPENDENCE DAY

I'd heard from an English-type that Atkinson was just the opposite in real life, much in the way Charlie Chaplin was...a perfectionist.

Is this as you see him?

Just curious?

Q

yep, seems he is not what I perceived.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom