Acurus P10 phonostage nudie

fishface

SMART!...ass
How 'bout some modern nudes?

P-10phonostage-1D.jpg

This is my Acurus P10 phonostage, gain and loading are adjustable for each channel using jumpers. That's pretty much the innards other than the PS on the other side. No power-switch either.

Details:

Most of the nut's n' bolts are covered in this (not so glowing) review in the AudioCritic:

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_issues/The_Audio_Critic_18_r.pdf

Personally, my experiences have been positive. Previously, AK member Totem and I were hell-bent on modifying our Thorens 160s and most of my listening time was actually done at his place on Infinity RS 2.5s through an Sansui CA-3000. Combined with an MM AT cart, we both agreed that it was a little hot on the top end.

However, when I got the table home and hooked up through a Yamaha CR-1000 into my Vandersteen 2Cs alot of that top end shine/shimmer was lost and sounded more balanced, a little smoother. I'd attributed this to my speakers (one area in which the AC and I agree on).

Enter the P10, and all of a sudden that hot top end was there again, and all that detail that came with it. I was pretty stunned, the CR-1000 phono-stage was far from TOTL, especially compared to the Sansui CA-3000, but to make my Vandersteens sound like Infinities (well, more like Infinities at least...) I realized that it had been my phono-stage that was limiting my system.

So right now, I really like it. However, I have itch to move into a LOMC cart, which apparently would work nicely with my heavy tonearm (TP16) but as the review states, the gain in the P10 wouldn't quite handle it, and that use of the gain is detrimental to the SQ in any case.

There's probably a new phono-stage in my future, but for now the P10 matches the rest of my Acurus stack (RL11, A250) so it'll probably be here for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom