Acutex MTS 3 mini monitor thrift score

Sir.Byrd

Lunatic Member
Anyone know anything about these guys?
They have a "passive" 4 cm dome, but I have no idea how, or if, it works.
IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

Okay so I cracked them open and was not impressed by the woofer with a 4W nominal rating and also that it was stamped "low ef" :thumbsdwn: However the tweeter makes up for it, it is very similar to a soft dome from the Minimus seven, in fact I could even try a Minimus seven tweeter in there.

The passive dome thing is directly connected to the inside of the cabinet, but its super stiff, I'm thinking this must help the woofer get up to the relatively high crossover point (2500)

The cabinets are probably 5/8" MDF, but they are stuffed half full with fiberglass.
No crossover really, except for a single 3.3 uF cap on the tweeter, with the woofer running full range. Again like the minimus seven but there did not seem to be an inductor in here.

Internal volume is around 300 or so, perhaps a little less if you count the volume of the drivers, I am thinking about replacing the 6.5" woofer with something a bit better...

Well they look nice at least. I've got some small B&W's here that are only rated for like 20 watts so you never know. Iching to get them hooked up.

I remember back in the 70's, one of the local DC stereo chains, was pushing Acutex speakers pretty heavily.
Never had a chance to hear them though?

Steve

Back
Top Bottom