Ad Banner at top and/or bottom of page causing problems?

JamVal

Addicted Member
I'm on a Win 10 laptop, using IE 11, IE Edge, or Chrome, each browser gives the same problem.

There is a black ad banner at the top and/or bottom of each forum page. 'X' in upper left corner, 'Ads by' in upper right corner.
AdBanner.jpg

I have to disable both ad banners by clicking the 'X', otherwise I can not compose a reply or post a new thread. I can type a few letters, then nothing. The same banners are on vinylengine.com and cause problems there also. Drop down menus roll back up before I have a chance to make a selection.

The properties of that ad banner show this: https://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-

Anyone having the same problem? Is there a browser setting to resolve this. Symptoms on each of the browsers I use (IE 11, IE Edge, Chrome)

Yes....all kinds of problems the last couple days here. It'll skip me between forums, prevents me from doing things and all other kinds of mess! Can't hardly get logged in either.

IE 11 on W7 here.

EV3

Sorry you are having the same problem. At least I know I'm not going crazy.
My wife's desktop doesn't give the same problem. Those ad banners load completely on her PC and no problem.
The problem I'm experiencing is when that ad banner stays black. Looks like it's trying to load. On the rare occasion where it does load with an actual ad, I don't seem to have the problem.

I compared advanced internet options between the 2 computers and they are the same. I'm going to compare firewall settings next, although I have the same security software on both PC's.

OK, I just installed Ghostery. The little blue ghost icon link is active in the upper right corner.

It shows what trackers are active on the current web page. There were 7 active when I came to this page, but settled down to 4. Not sure which ones to block, but the obvious ones were 'google adsense' and '...double click...' That seems to have stopped the erratic behavior, but I got a pop-up window asking something about a script that had stopped. It's gone now, and things seem back to normal. I opened another tab and went to vinylengine and hifiengine where I was also experiencing the problem. Both sites are problem free now. The common tracker on each of these sites is 'google adsense'. With that blocked, all is well.

This is really interesting.

There is a tracker active on this page called 'skim links'. Just the sound of that name makes me want to block it.
I looked into skim links and here is a brief description:
"Skimlinks is one of those little revenue strategies that isn't going to keep most lower-traffic websites afloat, but the little cash can eventually add up. First, some background: Skimlinks is a service that turns any business mentions or product link in a blog post, comment, or forum post into an affiliate link."

The other 2 pages I mentioned above have 'google analytics' active. I don't like the sound of that one either.

Skimming and analyzing everything I do

Thanks for all the help +48v

Thanks for all the help +48v
:beerchug:

FWIW, no need to worry about what to "block". Ghostery by default gleans and blocks most all goofyness. There are certain times/site you may need to "pause" Ghostery in order to access certain content. For instance when I visit my insurance company's site, in one area they use a script to open a popup to chose options, etc. If you encounter "unresponsiveness" on a site that you absolutely need then simply pause Ghostery (click the blue ghost) and reload the page. Once you're done...do same and resume your browsing.

Woooh - my ISP, which will remain unnamed and has the worst website I've ever experienced has 23 active trackers - no wonder it takes forever to get anything done on their site. That's pretty sad, a nationally recognized ISP, with such a slow, useless website.

Woooh - my ISP, which will remain unnamed and has the worst website I've ever experienced has 23 active trackers - no wonder it takes forever to get anything done on their site. That's pretty sad, a nationally recognized ISP, with such a slow, useless website.
You'll undoubtedly find that this is par for the course these days. I have nothing against banner ads per se. But when they (rouge ads) become so obtrusive and thwart any reasonable level of tolerance....they gotsta go!

These add banners seem to be what is causing the CPU spiking to 99-100% which I noted in another post a few days ago.

I'm noticing on a second machine now that when I access this site, I'm getting complaints the Adobe Reader DC is faulty and needs reloaded. Both machines are current though when you go through that install and check if any updates are necessary. Every page you access you have to go to the top and the bottom and click to close that ad space that never gets filled in.

Let me say here and now, and not just from this single experience, Adobe blows!! Always a problem no matter which of their products you're forced to be involved with! Yes...I'm a huge fan....

EV3

I'm noticing on a second machine now that when I access this site, I'm getting complaints the Adobe Reader DC is faulty and needs reloaded. Both machines are current though when you go through that install and check if any updates are necessary. Every page you access you have to go to the top and the bottom and click to close that ad space that never gets filled in.

Let me say here and now, and not just from this single experience, Adobe blows!! Always a problem no matter which of their products you're forced to be involved with! Yes...I'm a huge fan....

EV3
I solved my problem by blocking 2 trackers called 'Double Click' and 'Google AdSense'.

I've seen the Adobe reader pop up on other sites, and also a pop-up telling me to update Flash Player. I've never trusted that clicking on those pop-ups would direct me to a legitimate adobe site, so I click them off and manually go to the appropriate adobe page. Usually that results in a message saying that I already have the latest version. Additionally, I have blocked all adobe apps from accessing my computers in my firewall settings.

There is a well known photo sharing web site that I stopped using altogether because it caused all kinds of grief including infecting my PC with some adware/spyware thing that my security software didn't catch.

Went to install Ghostery and a small pop-up says:

Install Ghostery? It can read and change all your data on the web sites you visit.

Not exactly comforting.

Murray

Jeezuz do we really need to be subject to video and audio banner ads. How do I stop this. Driving me CRaZy...

Woke up this morning and now I can't go to any page without a popup asking me if this site can run an app??? This is really getting me angry, nowhere else on the internet am I getting these popup's. Nothing will load unless I click cancel everytime

Ell7wrR.jpg

Last edited:
I'm getting really really burnt out on the speed of this site since whatever add package has been forced on us.

I don't get it, members keep complaining yet we hear nothing from staff

I have very fast powerful computers and internet, but now on this site I'm subjected to archaic speeds and during high traffic can take 30 second page changes. But that's not the end of it, sometimes I can't post, or the page jumps around to the top or bottom add. I'v even had clicked the mouse in a comment box and it jumps to the add and navigates to that site.

It's like I'm being FORCED to click bate another sales site, and I shouldn't have to add crap to block adds in my computer to accesses the site.

If the site needs more money start charging for memberships. I try to do my part but feel I put out a lot and then the site still need to go else where to support it's self. If I have to keep dealing with feeling like I'm an add target for spammers corrupting my computer, do you think I'll want to keep spending money to support the site?

I don't get it, members keep complaining yet we hear nothing from staff

That is it in a nutshell, not a peep on what is being done to address these problems. My computer is 100% up to date and this happens nowhere on any other site I visit

Back
Top Bottom