Ad Banner at top and/or bottom of page causing problems?

No issues at all for me - the site is a bit slow - but that's about all, I have never had any issues with Ads on this site - even before installing Ghostery - which is bloody brilliant by the way.

I run Ghostery (all blocked) and Chrome over Windows 7 Professional. ;)

Sorry for the late response. After 10 years with my company, I was laid off in January. Still no job and I'm not on the computer as much anymore.

Besides 3rd party ad blockers and browsers with built in blockers, what do you think about AK promoting https://brave.com/ ? It is a browser that blocks ads and allows you to make a contribution to AK without subscribing. This would help offset the reduced income from blocked ads. Funds are for running the site, they are not for me, as I do not get paid. Just another volunteer, like so many that keep this site going.

Sorry for the late response. After 10 years with my company, I was laid off in January. Still no job and I'm not on the computer as much anymore.

Besides 3rd party ad blockers and browsers with built in blockers, what do you think about AK promoting https://brave.com/ ? It is a browser that blocks ads and allows you to make a contribution to AK without subscribing. This would help offset the reduced income from blocked ads. Funds are for running the site, they are not for me, as I do not get paid. Just another volunteer, like so many that keep this site going.

Thanks Luther. The problem seems to have cleared up on my end, (maybe Ad Choices finally realized they had a buggy advert?) Hope your job search proves fruitful soon and thanks for your all of your volunteer work here at AK.

All the best, Bob

Besides 3rd party ad blockers and browsers with built in blockers, what do you think about AK promoting https://brave.com/ ? It is a browser that blocks ads and allows you to make a contribution to AK without subscribing. This would help offset the reduced income from blocked ads. Funds are for running the site,

Sorry you have not hooked up a new job yet Luther I wish you luck on that one. Thanks for checking in though.

I don't understand what they mean by micro payments, how all that will work and if we pay for the browser, or is it we sign up and let them know you all lead us there.

I have been getting very frustrated and feel the big browsers are getting way to much control and invasive in our lives. So anything there to get them out of my life I'm for, been thinking of deleting out of a lot of things on the web, it's getting spooky.

I installed a ad blocker and while it helps a bit, it's still not like it was for me about 4 months ago. Pages are still very slow and it never was like that for me, I have fast computers and internet. With the ad blocker I can see the blank ad blowing up larger than the page size going outside the boarders, then it disappears and the page loads. So it is the ad package that's screwing with the site and my performance. I don't know if you all signed up for something new or not but it's really effecting me in ways I don't like.

Personally I try to support the site anyway I can but I'm at my wits ends let alone how much I will pay for it. I'v alway subscribed since being here, and last year I decided to sponsor to help out more, as you all said you needed a new server. However then the performance of the site went down hill for me, so at this point I can't say I'll be doing that again.

With as many members the site has there is no way it can't support it's self if everyone helps. But everyone needs to, not just a few and others are here every day and don't contribute at all. I mean common in this day and age, with $800 phones with $60 monthly internet services, computer cost and home internet and on and on. They spend ton of money to be on the internet in the first place, so if it cost the price of a cup of coffee to post here all year, well the site could run just fine on it's own.

Maybe different membership packages?

And please any info you have how the brave browser collects money would be of great help.

@4-2-7 (and anyone else)

Edit your hosts file (usually c:\windows\system\hosts or c:\windows\system32\hosts ) and add these lines:

#Block those ads in the hosts file and the server is free to load the forum info
127.0.0.1 pagead.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

The first line is a comment. The next three tell the system to look at your own machine for those three domains, where they will not be found. This is totally safe, undo-able, and effective.

Late to the party but I also experience this problem on 4 different computers, all of them different versions of Windows. It started just this week for me. I looked for the file in sqlsavior's post above but didn't find such a file to edit. Likely I'm misunderstanding how to do it? I'd love to know how as it seems to be a simple solution. [Thanks sql!]

Late to the party but I also experience this problem on 4 different computers, all of them different versions of Windows. It started just this week for me. I looked for the file in sqlsavior's post above but didn't find such a file to edit. Likely I'm misunderstanding how to do it? I'd love to know how as it seems to be a simple solution. [Thanks sql!]

Apparently the hosts file is now in %WinDir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

%WindDir% is usually: C:\Windows

The hosts file has no extension. You should be able to edit it with Notepad.

Those ads make it so I can't type in the post space sometimes. This morning it was particularly bad. Basically walked away without posting a PM I really wanted to send. A few hours later things were as they are now - slow but functional.

@4-2-7 (and anyone else)

Edit your hosts file (usually c:\windows\system\hosts or c:\windows\system32\hosts ) and add these lines:

#Block those ads in the hosts file and the server is free to load the forum info
127.0.0.1 pagead.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

The first line is a comment. The next three tell the system to look at your own machine for those three domains, where they will not be found. This is totally safe, undo-able, and effective.
I have apple and really I don't think I could IT my computer like that.

Back
Top Bottom