AD797 Phono Stage Build and Help Desk Thread

I'm almost certain that these won't work either. If you follow the traces on the PCB (if the pic they show is accurate), it doesn't map to the pins correctly:

mounttest.jpg

I think I'm just going to go with these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pcs-SOP8-...869?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1429421d) since they appear to fit the bill. As a bonus, I have a lot of the round-pinned legs leftover from the other adapters so there should be no issues with mounting.

I edited the post, my mistake, to make things right I will send you a pair of adapters as I ordered a bunch for myself.

PM me your postal address, I will send them out in the morning as it will take you a few weeks to get them from China.:thmbsp:

No, you don't have to do that. I'm not angry about this (hence my smiley above) and I'm not blaming anyone but myself for this. If I'd taken the time to actually research the product and think it through, I wouldn't have had these problems. I take full responsibility for this.

Based on the last ebay link you had and the one I had, I have very little faith in the correctness of Chinese parts listings. I'm not saying that the products are bad, just that the sellers aren't listing them correctly.

I'm almost certain that these won't work either. If you follow the traces on the PCB (if the pic they show is accurate), it doesn't map to the pins correctly:

mounttest.jpg

I think I'm just going to go with these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pcs-SOP8-...869?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1429421d) since they appear to fit the bill. As a bonus, I have a lot of the round-pinned legs leftover from the other adapters so there should be no issues with mounting.

The ones you linked to have the thick square legs and wont work either.

The ones I linked to here are the ones I used, just PM me your address I am more than happy to send you a pair, I have a bunch of them. :yes:

Don't spoil an old mans fun. :D

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion again but, can I salvage the adapters I have, mount another set of LME49990's and use them in place of, say, an OPA2134pa?

Here's a question (maybe a dumb one). I have a 12V "intelligent" charger, so I have to do one battery at a time. No problem. But my quesiton is, if the phono amp is switched off, do I have to disconnect the battery leads when charging? Seems like maybe the ground side of the battery should be disconnected, since it's connected to the opposite polarity of the other battery. But is it really necessary? These SLA's last so long with this phono stage that I still haven't had to charge them, even though I've used it almost every day for almost a month.

Yes, disconnect all leads.

What size SLA's do you have?

37.5ma's current draw is not a lot.

Yes, please post what charger you have.

Here's a question (maybe a dumb one). I have a 12V "intelligent" charger, so I have to do one battery at a time. No problem. But my queston is, if the phono amp is switched off, do I have to disconnect the battery leads when charging? Seems like maybe the ground side of the battery should be disconnected, since it's connected to the opposite polarity of the other battery. But is it really necessary? These SLA's last so long with this phono stage that I still haven't had to charge them, even though I've used it almost every day for almost a month.

I use the Amazon sourced intelligent 24V charger mentioned previously thru a DPDT switch that charges on the "OFF" position when the charger is actually plugged in.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=6527730&postcount=36

For those not up to doing SM chip soldering, I wanted to repost this suggestion from many pages ago. Fast shipping, and I'll be finishing this stage up Monday after AXPONA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-LME49990-DIP8-ADAPTERS-/190781133126?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D13%26meid%3D6078761495178433230%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D1014%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D190752879139%26
Good suggestion but you can't trust bay sellers for critical parts like capacitors and Opamps.

Regards,
Sachin

This reminds me of another question I had that I never really understood. It seems these SLA batteries have a narrow 1.5V working voltage range. In other words, when full they are about 12.9V, and when "empty" they are 11.4V. How low should I let them get before recharging? Or are these SLA's not like the old batteries where recharging them too soon affects their capacity? thx

Back
Top Bottom