ADC 16/2R ~ Onkyo R1

I've owned and tweaked a couple ADC 16/2R cd players a number of years ago. What's up?

Well, I was hoping you could give me an idea about the build quality and reliability, since I'm giving it away and don't want to hand out junk. And how did you tweak them?

It's been quite a few years since I've had on in my possession. But to the best I recall, the player was in the "decent" category, but neither "cheap crap" or "extraordinary". I believe it had a Burr-Brown PCM54 DAC chip, so again, decent for it's time. Unfortunately I remember nothing about the transport. Maybe that's a good thing.

I think I replaced the output op-amp with a more modern one, and upgraded the output coupling caps. But then again, it's been a while...

I know this question about older equipment, but has anybody had experience with either of these models?

I still have my ADC 16 2/R from 1985 and its still going strong 32 years later. Never even had to clean the laser!! Try finding a Modern Day Disc player that lasts that long. Probably the best $100-200 I ever spent!!

Regarding Onkyo "R1" - first, it's not R1, it's RI and stands for remote interlink. Second, it's not a model, it indicates that it has a remote control that's compatible with any other RI model - and an Onkyo receiver remote will control other RI pieces such as a cassette deck or CD player. Just FYI.

Cheers,
Larry B.

Back
Top Bottom