ADC PSX-A Cartridge

I've got the set of 10, 20, 30 & 40 styli in ADC originals, but no aftermarkets, and four of the bodies too. I've had no problems with the flip-down stylus guards, but one of the 40s has had the metal bar come unglued. I did not reglue it; I managed to get the bar in place and the stylus back on the cartridge. I don't remove the stylus from that one.

Snap! I got a PSX-40 for $5 too. Fine cart, but the P-adapter (all P-adapters) causes 2 problems:

1) Loss of rigidity.
2) Poor electrical contact — the cartridge pins are thin; they go into hollow tubes on the adapter, which have an OD that fits the normal-size headshell pins. But the internal contact (inside the tube) is not good, it's loose. It's an extra connection (causing a bit of signal loss) and it's a bad extra connection. I used contact-enhancer, but didn't help much.

I fix problem 1) by glueing the cart into the adapter. Now it's rigid. It can't be used in a P-mount arm anymore, but I don't have one so it doesn't matter. (Keep the little bolt in there while glueing, for clamping-action and alignment, then remove it to keep mass low).

I fix problem 2) by removing the hollow tubes, and connecting directly to the original pins. This means "crushing" the cartridge clips a bit to get a good tight fit on those thin pins.

The improvement isn't subtle, it's dramatic. A whole new cartridge, a much better cartridge.

I have to destroy an adapter ($10, worth it) and probably destroy a set of h'shell leads (I haven't tried opening the clips up again).

Totally worth it in my book. People pay 20-times more than that for a new cable hoping for just a slight improvement.

These Technics adapters were purpose made for using a P-mount in a Technics standard S- type tonearm. They work great. Only thing is they are not easy to find,
image.jpg

That's the Technics SH-90S headshell. There's also a simpler version, the SH-80S. For those of you with straight arms, turntable and arm manufacturers in the '80s sometimes supplied p-mount headshells or wands-- check the owner's manual or brochure(s) for your table.

That's the Technics SH-90S headshell. There's also a simpler version, the SH-80S. For those of you with straight arms, turntable and arm manufacturers in the '80s sometimes supplied p-mount headshells or wands-- check the owner's manual or brochure(s) for your table.
I believe the difference between the SH-90S and the SH-80S is the overhang adjustment.

These Technics adapters
Never saw one. Looks like an integrated-headshell-cartridge, but of course it isn't internally. I've had 4 of the more basic kind, 4 different brands but all essentially the same with the same weaknesses. I have a much older B&O cartridge, pre-P-Mount but also a direct-plug into the arm. Their 1/2-inch adapter was more solid, glued on, and the pin-size fit normal clips. Great cartridge — and it's over 50 years old.

That does seem to be the primary difference, though the 80S is probably lighter as well, though I couldn't find the specs for it. Technics says the 90S is 8.5g.

I've got both an 80S and a 90S; I could weight both and find out. They may be the same; IIRC the 80S has a metal plate on the bottom that seems to be there to add mass.

Never saw one. Looks like an integrated-headshell-cartridge, but of course it isn't internally.

Funny you should mention that. Technics sold some "integrated-headshell-cartridges," that were actually a p-mount cartridge paired with a SH-90S headshell.

Technics sold some "integrated-headshell-cartridges," that were actually a p-mount cartridge paired with a SH-90S headshell.
I didn't know that. But a question, SA708. The raison d'etra of the integrated h'shell is that it takes the wires from the coils directly to the contact-points which connect to the tonearm — this eliminates all the multiple pins/clips/solder-joints, and thus gives an unbroken, and much better signal path for those tiny little voltages from the cartridge.

Does the unit you describe also do that? Or just stick the P- mount cart (with all its drawbacks) into an adapter (just like all the other adapters, with all their drawbacks, but looking sexier)?

If the latter, is it really an "integrated-headshell-cartridge" at all?

Does the unit you describe also do that? Or just stick the P- mount cart (with all its drawbacks) into an adapter (just like all the other adapters, with all their drawbacks, but looking sexier)?

the cartridge fits into a cartridge socket just like the socket at the end of a T4P arm. Then the assembled cartridge and headshell fit into a collet, just like an SME headshell does. There are, I would imagine, wires inside the headshell that attach the socket at the front to the plug at the back.

John

the cartridge fits into a cartridge socket just like the socket at the end of a T4P arm. Then the assembled cartridge and headshell fit into a collet, just like an SME headshell does. There are, I would imagine, wires inside the headshell that attach the socket at the front to the plug at the back.

John

Correct

That does seem to be the primary difference, though the 80S is probably lighter as well, though I couldn't find the specs for it. Technics says the 90S is 8.5g.

My 90S weighs 9.0g and my 80S weighs 7.5g. That included the cartridge mounting screws.

I didn't know that. But a question, SA708. The raison d'etra of the integrated h'shell is that it takes the wires from the coils directly to the contact-points which connect to the tonearm — this eliminates all the multiple pins/clips/solder-joints, and thus gives an unbroken, and much better signal path for those tiny little voltages from the cartridge.

It isn't really, which is why I put the phrase in quotes.

According to VinylEngine, Technics sold these as a Semi Integrated Headshell Moving-Magnet Cartridge.
I guess "semi" was the weasel word.
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/epc-h23.shtml

The only objection I have to the SH-90S/80S-- aside from the very high prices usually asked-- is its mass. Otherwise, at least for a Technics turntable owner, it seems ideal. But is the overhang adjustable? [Yes, dummy, it's right there in the SH-90S photo!]

Last edited:
The only objection I have to the SH-90S/80S-- aside from the very high prices usually asked-- is its mass. Otherwise, at least for a Technics turntable owner, it seems ideal. But is the overhang adjustable?

Yes, the SH-90S is but the SH-80S isn't. There's a pinch bolt at the rear and a scale for setting overhang.

SH90S
IMG_0554.jpg

SH-80S
d.jpg

John

The 90S has adjustable overhang, and the 80S does not. That is why the 90S weights 1.5g more. If one doesn't need to adjust overhang (using T4P cartridge of the correct length on a turntable set up for 52mm cartridge/headshell length), the 80S would be the better choice, with less mass and less to go wrong.

Last edited:
I asked my question stupidly, but you guys backstopped me gracefully. I do wish there was an alternative p-mount headshell for the ubiquitous SME-type curved arm. Does anyone know of such a thing?

Back
Top Bottom