ADC Super XLM vs AT150Sa

rjche0206

Been contemplating on moving to a modern MM cartridge of AT150Sa. Currently running a ADC Super XLM cart and been replacing it with a expensive NOS shibata stylus. I am very happy indeed but.... Am I missing something by keeping the status quo or will a modern MM cart prove me wrong. I'm open to any recommendations.. Thanks

rjc: Well, given the pretty high compliance I'd assume you're runnng the ADC on a pretty light arm, for which I'd deem an AT150Sa not quite as attractive. And no, you're not really missing out, 'cause carts haven't really got that much better ever since the mid 80s anymore, and most of the progress in the MM/MI realm had already been reached around the mid 70s, so that most of the better carts from back then are still pretty competitive now. That being said, it's of course always possible that you might find a model that's more to your liking or fits better to your turntable and/or system environment, be that an old or a new one.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

rjc: Well, given the pretty high compliance I'd assume you're runnng the ADC on a pretty light arm, for which I'd deem an AT150Sa not quite as attractive. And no, you're not really missing out, 'cause carts haven't really got that much better ever since the mid 80s anymore, and most of the progress in the MM/MI realm had already been reached around the mid 70s, so that most of the better carts from back then are still pretty competitive now. That being said, it's of course always possible that you might find a model that's more to your liking or fits better to your turntable and/or system environment, be that an old or a new one.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
@lini....
Shameless to say that the ADC super XLM is not running on a low mass arm(wish I do have a budget for a black widow, a grace or Sme arms)... rather it's on a Technics SL1100 mid mass stock EPA tonearm which I actually am enjoying it but needless to say I have a progressive type personality where I'm incessantly striving for the better or to get most out of my audio system. I have accepted the fact that running the ADC cart on a low compliance tonearm will not bring out the very best of it. That is why I'm here to pick on your Adept knowledge regarding this. Now.. will stepping away from the ADC cart to another MM cart like the AT150Sa or a Ortofon cart would make my TT shine significantly better? or just stay pat for now until a promising budget allows it. Thank you again Lini

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom