Adcom 565..the big come up.

Monad

As the song claims- "we'll be moving on up, to the East Side, to a deluxe apartment in the sky.." also the song, "swing low, sweet elevator of affordable audio gear, coming for to carry me home.." comes to mind. I think that's how the song goes, anyway.

So, the elevator finally stopped at my floor, when I found a pair of fully restored (PCB+ caps) Adcom 565 monoblocks, to replace my single Adcom GFA 555!

I loved the 555 sound but quickly realized, after restoring my KEF 105.4s, that there just wasn't enough juice in one, so I started looking for another or different.

So, the pair is arriving Monday or Tuesday.

I sold my 555II on BT in a day for $380, $20 less than I paid.. so win there but I also naivelyjbls305.jpg shipped the 555 yesterday and sold my only back up amp, earlier in the week..

So, I'm currently running some powered JBL LSR305s, which don't sound too terrible but after giving them a few reference tracks, I know I'm missing a lot of the string plucky, off stage/ onstage horn, 'singer breathing' sounds.. but this is probably a good thing, to maximize my initial experience with the 565 come up ;D

I would have liked to A\B them but I don't think there'd be any close comparison.

THANKS AGAIN to AKer 'reardonp6' for making the transaction for the 555II, easy and effortless! Enjoy the goodness!

'review' to follow.

Just got notice they will ship today.. from the West Coast, I think I'm still looking at Monday/ Tuesday! This will be one of the longer 2-day weekends, I've had in a while.

Last edited:
nope, going with the JBL desktops as my endgame speaks..

;D

but may also swap out with some KEF 105.4s that were soaking up all the single 555II could dish out.

guessing I won't ever be pressing the 565s with these speakers but think the added wpc will be a nice upswing in SQ.

happiness is.png if anyone would like to play along at home- it looks more like a Tuesday thing but I've had 2 day ships from the west side so, fingers crossed.

Hope we don't have a Dead President's Day to celebrate to take away from the swift completion of this shipping task.

At least you didn't run out of stereo gear to be able to use. I find when I haven't listened in a while that the tunes at night get played a bit longer and sometimes a bit louder than usual. You'll have the power to make up for lost time when the amps arrive.

:eek: Thankfully, GW's day, aka President's Day, is on a Monday, not a Tuesday. The holiday shouldn't impact mail flow across the US for that day but may make mail delivery take longer on Tuesday w 2x the mail to deliver.

Full disclosure- the alert email actually set Thursday as 'the day'..but I'm not trying to hear that. 6 days from the west coast UPS ground, even around the holidays is 'all but unheard of'. I received a package from Schiit in California, in 2 days from bow to stern.

Agreed!! I think Tuesday will be a louder listening multi-hour session. With any luck, I'll sell some other gear and have these amps paid off by the time they arrive. Right now, I'm at $650.00.. just a few more hundred++ to go.

Last edited:
With any luck, I'll sell some other gear and have these amps paid off by the time they arrive. Right now, I'm at $650.00.. just a few more hundred++ to go.
I'm off to BT looking for those deals. Good luck.

Well, I could make you a grrreaat deal on some Bose 901s, a wood sided Bose spatial control receiver..

Last edited:
Heck, I was waiting for a woofer, shipped from VA to VA. It took 7 days, and went through 4 states, before I got it. I hate Fed Ex. :(

And congratulations on the 565's! Well done! :beerchug:

Thanks Roadrash, StimpyWan, Blue Shadow...! I'll never be under powered again..and restored, I won't develop the sickness of wondering how much better they'd sound if they were and then, be forced to spend the $700 + parts to have 'avionics' restore them.

Speaking of BarterTown, I bought my Freya preamp on there for cheap and sold 2 pieces of gear in a few days. ...and skipped paying the 10% ebay sellers fee.

So overall, my $25 dollar annual subscription fee has been paid back by the sale of those two items- $575 total- saving me $57 dollars in ebay fees.. Skipping Craig and his list, I didn't have to get robot called by fake craigslist folk or try to meet up with anyone, because they rarely show up.. Since BT is all subscribers, who are Paypal or CC confirmed members, it adds a nice layer of safety, for sales in a community setting. I highly recommend.

Also, today on the BT Media page, where people buy and sell LP, CD, cassettes.. subscriber 'skynyrd77' was giving away 2 full album downloads he received from some new albums.. first person to post got them.

I was the first, soo on top of the savings on the sales, I also received 2 free downloads - Tedeschi/ Truck and Galactic. Both are amazing!! Thanks again @skynyrd77

Last edited:
Also, @dinger welcome to Audiokarma!

Houston, we have 'origin scan'!

02/15/20198:56 P.M. Seattle, WA, United States
Origin Scan

In Transit 02/16/2019 2:48 A.M. Redmond, WA, United States
Departure Scan

Last edited:
no joy in Mudville, yet.

it's not like I've been hitting refresh on the UPS tracking details page all day but, I have. :D

In Transit 02/19/2019 1:49 P.M. Eagan, MN, United States Arrival Scan

My amps are 4 hours away.. with any luck, they'll be out for delivery tomorrow morning.. or UPS could just leave them in the larger shipping container for a day to make me sweat and neurotically peck the browser refresh button, like some pigeon / pellet experiment, for another 48 hours.

pigeon2.png

Because items I ordered were sent UPS Ground I noticed that UPS has deliberately slow walked it so that they don't upset people who pay more for their faster delivery services. I mean if you think about it they are using the same infrastructure for all packages so a package that is shipped using their Express service is using the same infrastructure as their "Ground" service it's only their prioritizing delivery that is different.

Hopefully you will get them today and we will be reading your thoughts on them real soon.

Because items I ordered were sent UPS Ground I noticed that UPS has deliberately slow walked it so that they don't upset people who pay more for their faster delivery services. I mean if you think about it they are using the same infrastructure for all packages so a package that is shipped using their Express service is using the same infrastructure as their "Ground" service it's only their prioritizing delivery that is different.

Fortunately, my Pittsburgh residence is really close to one of FedEx's largest hubs, which is super-busy with volume, so they don't have the room to "warehouse" things just to slow them down.

It's still 4 hours away, 25 hours later and for sure they are slow walking their stuff. I prob won't ever use them again and will request Fedex or USPS in the future. The USPS doesn't eff around, they just get it wrong sometimes but still, they don't harrison bergeron packages intentionally.

Back
Top Bottom