Adcom ace-515 a/c enhancer

wanders

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Saw this in a thrift for $10; looks expensive and like new; sign said it works; couldn't say no. Anybody know what it's supposed to do. Maybe a glorified surge protector? Maybe like cable lifters or tuning dots.

It's a ground level

AC enhancer surge protector. You can sell it for a hundred dollars easy,it has a cult following. On most systems you should hear an immediate tightening of your bass. Better suited for SS equipment as opposed to Tube.

"a glorified surge protector" is a most apt and honest desriptor for this type of thing. That said, this model has had good reviews and for $10.00 you did very well indeed. At least you didn't pay $3,000.00 plus for a "power regenerator". Magic electrons do exist, for a price of course.

I owned it. Got rid of it. Certainly can't understand how there would be a "cult" following, but then these days...........

Wayner

I have two of them. It's the power sequencing I wanted and I have Adcom amps so why not? They weren't expensive new and twenty years later they are still working.

It's a little more than a surge suppressor. When you plug the preamp and power amp ino the designated outlets in the back it will automatically turn the preamp and power amp on and off in the proper sequence with just one switch (preamp on first, then power amp, power amp off first, then preamp). It's also supposed to smooth out the power coming from the wall outlet, but to me it's the convenience of having one switch for both pre and power amps plus the sequencing that makes sense. I'd love to get one someday but they don't seem to turn up for a reasonable amount around here for some reason.

I have a pair I acquired in the early 1990's for use with an Adcom-powered system. They still work, and I use them now as surge-protected power strips for a couple of computers.

It's a little more than a surge suppressor. When you plug the preamp and power amp ino the designated outlets in the back it will automatically turn the preamp and power amp on and off in the proper sequence with just one switch (preamp on first, then power amp, power amp off first, then preamp). It's also supposed to smooth out the power coming from the wall outlet, but to me it's the convenience of having one switch for both pre and power amps plus the sequencing that makes sense. I'd love to get one someday but they don't seem to turn up for a reasonable amount around here for some reason.

I own one I use with an Adcom amp in the bedroom, and see it exactly as audiojones - ie, a very good, sequencing switch.

I have two of them. It's the power sequencing I wanted ......

Same here. I use separate components and wanted the power sequencing which works quite well. It also seems to have slightly improved the sound of the systems I have them hooked to.

For $10. I'd grab it asap. If you get it .... it probably won't be immediately apparent to you how you're supposed to hook it up. The manual is available online.

Absolutely!
I have 2 of them in my downstairs HT system - and use them for Power sequencers for my poweramps.
I have them slaved off the "switched" outlet of my Integra Preamp/Processor. They have a small AC cable that "senses" power on off and use that internally to managed power on and off delays on the outlets that run my Main amps (B&K amps) plus the HK citation that runs my sub.
I don't know if they "clean up" the power to any extent, but they are GREAT for the power sequencing feature!

I don't know if they "clean up" the power to any extent, but they are GREAT for the power sequencing feature!

:thmbsp: I use mine in my HT/multichannel rig with the two big Soundcraftsmen amps that drive my Infinity RS 2.5 R/L speakers. Keeps me from breaking the "last on, first off" rule of thumb. Even if I get stupid and shut down the A/V receiver which is the trigger for the AC-515 before I shut down the amps, it immediately drops power to them avoiding any unfortunate and potentially damaging bumps.

Last edited:
:thmbsp: I use mine in my HT/multichannel rig with the two big Soundcraftsmen amps that drive my Infinity RS 2.5 R/L speakers. Keeps me from breaking the "last on, first off" rule of thumb. Even if I get stupid and shut down the A/V receiver which is the trigger for the AC-515 before I shut down the amps, it immediately drops power to them avoiding any unfortunate and potentially damaging bumps.

Makes the whole system much more user friendly at our house, and that makes it a big win for me, and an easy win for my spouse!
The Integra runs on a remote, so we turn it on, turn on the big Sharp TV with the TIVOHD remote,
and wait a while for everything else to come up in sequence by itself. Painless, and happy family!

I had a similar config when I ran biamped JBL 4341 monitors even with all those power amps,
the 2 Adcoms managed all the sequential power-ups so there was no worry and it was easy
for the non-Geeks to use.

Thanks for the input; been traveling and just got back to a/k. As noted in the op, couldn't say no so I bought it without knowing what it would do. I'll hook it up and post impressions; h'ever, I do tend to be skeptical about magic solutions.

I have one and popped the top to get a couple photo's. Looks like a solid unit?:thmbsp:

Attachments

• IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 110
I have had one for many years, and though I cant hear a deference in sound quality, the sequence power on/off is nice.
Good find for 10 bucks.

I am in agreement with everything said here about the Adcom ACE-515 and can add one more plus. It saves the "wear and tear" on those vintage power switches like on my SX-1980. Every time I flip the power switch on a vintage piece of equipment, I wonder how many more cycles it will work without replacement. :scratch2:

The Adcom ACE-515 is a good unit. I have one that I use along with an Audio Power Industries Power Wedge 110 and an API Power Pack II.

I installed this yesterday. It's a solid looking component and does justice to my other pieces. Took a while to figure out how to use both power cords, but managed to figure it out. The sequencing is useful. Can't say I notice a difference in sound quality, h'ever. Was able to eliminate a bulky power/surge strip that I had hidden and had to reach to find.

Certainly worth what I paid. Don't know what I'd pay retail though. Maybe $100 if I was feeling flush; maybe not. I can see why they're desirable. Maybe you have to convince yourself that there's a sq benefit to justify the price.

:thmbsp: Ditto on the sequencer function. After Heather got hers I found one in-box with owner's manual on eBay for $50 and use it so my Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control-Four pre-amp can turn on my Crown PS200 and PS400 amps without a surge. Simple one-touch operation of the system turn-on and cycle-down for my whole family who mostly don't care as much as I do but still want to be able to turn on the living room system whenever they want to.

Hadn't thought about the "family friendly" aspect. The one switch, complete and safe shut-down is worthwhile insurance.

Back
Top Bottom