Adcom amp...

bolly

Lunatic Member
I have a friend of mine at work says he'll sell me his amp. All I know is he bought it in Germany in the late 80's, or early 90's, and has never even hooked it up! She's sittin' in her box.... Just waitin' there for me!

Don't know Pete. But my fingers are crossed. Only thing is he's the original owner, and he knows what he paid. I'm prayin' for TOTL!

Last edited:
Holy $hit, the thing is massive! Has a power consumption of 1900WATTS. I think she's 300WPC at 8 ohms! I've got all 4 of my HPM-100's bolted to her and that's where I've come to a standstill! Her input is a single unbalanced type. Only 1 connector... Now what do I do? She's an Adcom GFA-565!

Greg

Adcom 565 is a 300 W monoblock sold in pairs.
They weren't made very long a year or two. Not as good as their lesser powered gear 555. Lots of muscle, but not the suavest amps around. I had a pair for less than a year before trading up.
Jack

Last edited:
565 WOW!

I love the 565. . . I had 4 at one time but I had to move and I rent now and this houses wiring wont take more than the one I use for a subwoofer now. Awesome power, will drive virtually any load. . . I think they wiull drive a single strand of wire. . .
Problem is with these Dinosoars is like GTOs they pretty much have been relageted to Subwoofer duty, speakers today are so much more effecient and you dont need that power anymore.
Tell you what I will trade you a 555 or a 555II for your 565. . .guy Or a MINT SX-850. . . . .. . .

Thanks Jack,

So it looks like I have 1/2 of a monoblock setup. How can I use it? Anyone...

One channel

You can only use it as a single channel amp. You have a whole MonoBlock. . .Mono means one. . . Drive a subwoofer or get another one for stereo use or sell or trade for a stereo amp. . .

Thanks fellas!

I understand now...

Just tried to call the guy back, no answer. I'm sure he doesn't have another one. He would've gave her to me to try out as well. And I just got everything unhooked an rehooked. Now I'm gonna have to unhook everything again! I think I'll wait 'till tomorrow!
Whew... Them amps are heavy!

Greg

Back in the box

Bolly,
Put her back in her original box and sell her as NOS(never used since new right?) A NOS 565 single will bring 550-650.00 on eBay. If the box is in great shape and those 565 boxes are great, I know I still have a few. great protection. Then buy what you want. Dont get in a big hurry and do something foolish. . . You are sitting on a big egg here one that some people will pay big money to get. If you want another I have one of those too also NOS. Or I can get you a mint one from Adcom for around 500.00 complete with everything just like new , refurbished by Adcom, these amps I can get are replacement amps that Adcom uses for warrenty replacement, not bootleg. . .

Already done gyusher, already done...

That's where she rests, back in her box, for now. The box is in sad shape. They had a cat! I think I know why he never used her before, he never understood the "monoblock" concept either! I rewired my KT-7550/KA-9150 back to my HPM's, just untill my Soundcraftsmen MA5002 arrives. Maybe she'll be here for my birthday!

Soon as I find out what buddy wants to do with his Adcom... Let's just say, You guys'll be the first to know!

Greg

The GFA-565 will be mine, complete with box and owners manual. It didn't come cheap so I can't let it go for cheap either... I'm gonna have to rehook her and try her single I/P to make sure she works good!

After testing she'll be made available to anyone here first, if not... the bay she goes...

Greg

Back
Top Bottom