Adcom GFA-535ii vs AudioSource Amp One

The audiosource amp in my opinion might have a tighter bass responce and a little more tranceparency in my OPINION mind you. They are both very similar poweramps so I think you should decide to make you own decision and I am interested in what you have to say yourself

Should be an interesting comparison!

I'm a sucker for those little Adcoms personally, but have never directly compared them with one of the Audiosource amps...

Adcom all the way. The smallest Adcom has a very robust power supply. It's 60 wpc sound and performs more like 120 wpc.

I really do not think that there is a comparison. Adcom wins every time! I used to have one of the original GFA-535 amps, and it was amazing.... From what I know, and have heard of Audiosource equipment.... Well, I guess it really comes down to the individual and his or her preferences. For me, I am very much an Adcom-girl.

Have you listened to them yet?
They should sound different.

I have an Adcom 535L (60 watts) and an AudioSource Amp Two (80 watts) and Audiosource Amp Three (150 watts). The AudioSource Amps have a warmer sound where the Adcom sounds brighter.

Your preference.

Like I said, I think much comes down to preference. Much also has to do with the speakers, pre-amp, and other peripherals (if they are used). I have an Adcom GFA-545 which has a warmer sound than my old GFA 535, and I feel the series II amps do sound "brighter". The Nelson Pass designed amplifiers have a very good reputation. I do admit, the only place I have ever heard Audiosource components is at the home of one of my husband's friends. They do sound very nice... but for me, I will stick to my Adcom products.

There is an Onkyo M-5140 amplifier currently on Ebay I am debating about purchasing. It too, just like the Audiosource and Adcom amplifiers sound very nice.

The 555 does not have a speaker relay and I don't imagine the BOTL 535 has one either. This alone makes them non-starters for me.

I love my Audiosource amp3's. The amp one/a is a very nice amp in its own right. I find they are really transparent. I had to make a similar choice to you, and I chose Audiosource. That said, the amp 100 that drives my center channel should just go ahead and die, I all but hate that thing.

Speaker relays? Don't want to appear too ignorant, but could you elaborate on why that is an issue? Those early Pass designs were pretty well received, especially the 545.

Just trying to learn a little more here.

Thanks.

cnh2

I don't have these two amps at the moment, but I have a GFA-545II and a AMP100. I used to have a GFA-535II and a GFA-555II. The Adcom amps all make the AMP100 sound a little weak, but the AMP100 is very listenable. I could see the AMP One being a contender against the GFA-535II, given the higher power rating than the AudioSource amp I have. In the end, I'd probably choose the Adcom.

Speaker relays? Don't want to appear too ignorant, but could you elaborate on why that is an issue? Those early Pass designs were pretty well received, especially the 545.

Just trying to learn a little more here.

Thanks.

cnh2

No protection system with output relays to open and disconnect your speakers if the output transistors go south. In such an event, your speakers would take the full DC power supply voltage.

the 555 does not have a speaker relay and i don't imagine the botl 535 has one either. This alone makes them non-starters for me.

+1.

I've heard my friends Adcom amp and it sounded great, but I like my speakers way too much to leave them unprotected. Looking forward to the comparison!

Last edited:
No protection system with output relays to open and disconnect your speakers if the output transistors go south. In such an event, your speakers would take the full DC power supply voltage.

Thanks, that makes sense. I have a further question though; certainly Adcom cannot be alone in such a design? Aren't there a lot of other mid-fi amps that also fit this description? Not that I'm advocating risking your speakers but I do know a lot of people who use GFA 545 and 555 amps and I have yet to hear one of them say that their Adcom has fried their speakers?

It would seem that this is not a very common occurrence, no/yes?

cnh2

Thanks, that makes sense. I have a further question though; certainly Adcom cannot be alone in such a design? Aren't there a lot of other mid-fi amps that also fit this description? Not that I'm advocating risking your speakers but I do know a lot of people who use GFA 545 and 555 amps and I have yet to hear one of them say that their Adcom has fried their speakers?

It would seem that this is not a very common occurrence, no/yes?

cnh2

I use an Adcom GFA 545, and I have never, every had any problems of that sort with it. The only time I had it repaired, was right after I bought it (used) and it was a faulty power switch. It has been an amazing amp (also had the 535). You cannot go wrong with the Adcom.

Besides, I would look at it from a standpoint of liability. Adcom is a decent, well known company. The negative advertising they would get through word-of-mouth if their amps would destroy speakers because of an internal failure would be extreme and very detrimental.

You could always add one of those Adcom speaker selectors that feature internal fusing. That would solve the this "problem" concretely.

Which one would you keep?

I have both but haven't listened to them yet.

If you have them both in your possession,why not listen to them for extended periods and base the choice on your own preference.

Personally, the Adcom amps I've owned in the past (545II and a 2535) were a bit dry sounding to my ears.

The best advice above!

I'm not sure about the 545 II, because Adcom fiddled with Nelson's design by that point...and Pass did not particularly agree with the Adcom refits? I have an original GFA-545 that is hard to beat in its 'used' price range. I run it with another Pass unit, the Nakamich CA-5 pre-amp and, for the price, to me, this is as good as it gets.

Of course, there are better if you want to spend more. There are Pass's own higher end Pass Labs (class A amps) for example and quite a few other audio greats (Levinson, Curl, etc.).

cnh

I use an Adcom GFA 545, and I have never, every had any problems of that sort with it. The only time I had it repaired, was right after I bought it (used) and it was a faulty power switch. It has been an amazing amp (also had the 535). You cannot go wrong with the Adcom.

Besides, I would look at it from a standpoint of liability. Adcom is a decent, well known company. The negative advertising they would get through word-of-mouth if their amps would destroy speakers because of an internal failure would be extreme and very detrimental.

You could always add one of those Adcom speaker selectors that feature internal fusing. That would solve the this "problem" concretely.

The Adcom amps that use a servo circuit instead of an input capacitor have earned a reputation among technicians as speaker destroyers. The original GFA-555 had this problem, and I believe that the 545 and 535 have it as well. What happens is that the electrolytic capacitors on the servo board start leaking electrolyte as they age. The electrolyte soaks into the circuit board material, reducing its electrical resistance and creating parasitic resistance paths on the board. The servo circuit then starts nulling the voltage to a point other than 0 V DC. Once the DC offset rises high enough -- and it doesn't necessarily have to reach either of the rail voltages -- the woofer's voice coil burns out.

If you're using one of these without an add-on relay, check its DC offset frequently and get it serviced if you see more than a few millivolts on either channel.

I've checked with some of the Adcom experts elsewhere and that is essentially correct. It is not true of the 555II (later models add some modicum of protection).

It is also true that if your unit has been checked/serviced properly that it will probably not fail or cause any problems at all for a lot longer time than many other manufacturers (Carver is the most problematic here--in terms of repair rates). Adcom has a tank-like build quality so once you're up and running, you're usually good.

But, certainly, care should be taken. As mentioned before...I know dozens of people that run these and 'not' a one has had this problem...'yet'?

The other problem is that 'many' 'many' other amps also have this omission essentially to preserve a simpler/purer signal path for musical reproduction. So I don't understand the trepidation. I'm sure many of you are running non-Adcoms that could also, potentially, blow your speakers and may not even know that?

cnh

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom