Adcom GFA-545

M Jarve

Audio Geek and NGE Freak
I don't know whether this unit really qualifies as "vintage" by everyone's standards (it does in mine), but I wanted to post my thoughts on it anyways.

Yesterday evening while I was in Duluth (a dark and stormy night...) I stopped at Pawn America as I often do and saw the GFA-545 in the pro-audio section. I could not remember the specs on it, so I called up doucanoe, and he was able to refresh my memory. We also shot the breeze about some of the other toys in there (Paradigm Atoms for $99, etc.), and I decided to take it.

After bumming around Duluth for a while, Becky and I came back to Virginia and I got to play with the new toy a little.

As I have taken to doing lately, I checked the amp out on the bench for any major defects before I connected it up to anything I really like. I connected it to my bench pre-amp (Mitsubishi DA-P10) and multi-meter to run some basic tests. Imagine my surprise when I found the right channel outputting 14.3-volts DC! If I had connected any of my speakers to the amp (save, perhaps, the Infinity's), they would have turned their toes up! I disconnected the preamp on the possibility that it was the culprit, and the DC output jumped to 28.5-volts! Holy-moly! I checked (on instinct) for any DC at the input terminals and found over 14-volts of output! Surprise does not even begin to describe my feelings at the time.

I was getting ready to hunt down my receipt to make a return when I decided, almost in passing, to take the lid off, just to see if maybe a poorly placed paperclip had found its way into the bowels of the beast. I noticed a blown fuse in the right channel. On a whim (instinct may be more appropriate a term), I replaced the fuse and tried it again. It did not blow and DC offset was a much more sane -80mV and dropping (towards zero). After about 10 minutes of uptime with no load, the amp seemed to settle at -0.1mV in the errant channel and 3mV in the other channel. As there is no DC offset adjustment in the amp, I left it alone. If the above episode taught me anything (aside from reaffirming my commitment to testing an amplifier before wantonly destroying my speakers), it is that the GFA-545 is really a direct coupled amp.

I decided to take it to work with me today and had it connected to my computer via the above mentioned DA-P10, while driving my Wharfedale Diamond 7.2's. Keeping an eye on things, I left it playing the streaming MPR classical station while I worked for the day, occasionally checking the offset with a handy DMM. Towards the end of the day, I threw in a newly bought Norah Jones CD and really let it rip. Pretty darn impressive, I have to say.

When I got home this afternoon, I moved the Citation and Crown out of the rack and installed the Adcom in my main setup. As an aside, after looking at the rack with the Citation and Crown in there, the Adcom seems positively diminutive in there. I've got it playing an Evanescence CD now, and will put it through its critical listening paces tomorrow.

My initial impressions are very favorable. Very clean and smooth sound, almost flowing from the speakers; sweet sounding is appropriate. For a 100WPC amp, it seems to have almost effortless dynamics and does not seem to be easily strained. It seems to have a particularly good bass response. Clean and punchy or sonorous and deep when needed and in perfect measure. It will be interesting to see how it measures up against the Citation.

I would also like to comment on the innards, as is my want. I have to say that I have rarely seen so simple, clean, and efficient of a design. It is said that Nelson Pass had a hand in designing this amp, and unlike many amps that are (incorrectly) attributed to Pass, this one certainly could be. It is a statement to KISS design, without even the normal inductor at the output. Perhaps someone who knows more could confirm or deny his handiwork in it, but I would place money on that he did. That said, it is not quite as over-built as some of the classic amps I have owned or seen. The transformer, for instance, while good sized, is nothing near the 1kW beast that the Crown possesses. It is, given the geometry of a toroidal transformer, probably about as well proportioned as the one in my Yamaha CA-1010 (which is rated at close to 700VA). The power design is what I refer to as "dual power", using a single transformer with dual secondary windings and separate rectification and filtering for each channel. The main power capacitors (two 10,000uFd units per channel) are interesting... Very tall and narrow. Heatsinking and cooling seem adequate. All during the day, the amplifier never became even warm to the touch, let alone hot. We will see what a more demanding speaker and higher volumes bring, though.

There are my first thoughts. I'll update the thread as warranted.

The GFA-535 sounds as good, if not better.

I have a GFA-545II, the nudie below.

Nice amp. I look forward to your further observations.

Attachments

• adcomn1.jpg
    adcomn1.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 1,008
I've always liked the sound of these Adcom amps, but have never bought one.

Is it bridgeable to mono?

I'll be watching your progress with this Mike

Man, good thing to didn't jump the gun and hook up the infinity's. Sounds like the the ticket for your tri-amp effort.

RC

"No mono-bridgo for you!" it says.

Urizen, the 545 (original) looks similar, but not quite the same. The heatsinks are not as tall, for one, and the original version does not have the cover over the capacitors (a capacitor cap?). The rear panel layout is also a bit different.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow, if you like.

I will say that I have been wanting to play with this Adcom stuff for a while. I almost bought a GFA-5800 off of AudioGon a while back (about the time I bought the Citation Sixteen), but I wanted to stick with what I knew. The thing that kept throwing me off on them are all the contradictory reviews and descriptions of their sound. Most of the comments seem to be very positive, but still contradictory. For instance, a given model may be described as harsh in the highs by one person while another may extol the fluidity of the highs. Perhaps they suffer from the same fate as Yamaha seems to in that they are so neutral as to be borderline in every regard? For the record, I really like the utter purity of Yamaha- I have a friend who hates it.

Did I hear tri-amp.........what speakers will we be tri-amping?

The zero9 Phoenix. In addition to everything else, I am making the passive crossover external, and making them tri-ampable. I'm going all the way with these babies. The idea is to have the Crown DC-300A for bass, the Citation Sixteen for the mids, and the Adcom for the tweeters.:D

Urizen, the 545 (original) looks similar, but not quite the same.

You have the first series of the 545, the step up in power from my 535.

The series II improved the speaker connections amongst other changes, which escape me now.

I am listening to the 535 as I type, pushing Paradigm Studio 20 and it sounds sweet.

The zero9 Phoenix. In addition to everything else, I am making the passive crossover external, and making them tri-ampable. I'm going all the way with these babies. The idea is to have the Crown DC-300A for bass, the Citation Sixteen for the mids, and the Adcom for the tweeters.:D

Are they in progress?

I have a GFA 535II (60 wpc @ 8 ohms) that I think sounds fantastic! The older Adcom amps with 3 digit model numbers (535, 545, 555 etc.) are much better than the 4 digit newer models (5400 5800 etc.) IMO. A friend picked up a GFA 5800 and I didn't think that it even sounded close to what mine sounds like! I have had my GFA 535II for 10 years now without a single problem. I use it in my den system with a Hafler model 100 preamp and a pair of Design Acoustics DA 900 speakers and it really performs well.

I have a 545 and it has been running the mids and highs on my stats for at least 20 years, with no problem. Matter of fact, I'm on my third 200+ wpc amp running the bottom end of those speakers.

If you own any of the series 2 Adcoms this includes the 545, 555, 565 or 585 it is important that you change the caps on the driver boards. once they leak they ruin the driver boards and make for a very expensive repair. Replacing a dollar worth of parts can protect you from a $400 repair and possibly burning up you speakers and perhaps your home. The original non series 2 models have glass epoxy board and are not prone to this problem.

In my case, it's an Adcom GFA 545 with Hafler DH 100 preamp, driving Advent/1's. To me, the Adcom/Hafler combination seems a little bright (I have used it on other speakers than the Advents). The Adcom/Hafler/Advent system does very well on some keyboard music, though, and has a crisp "modern" sound. But I still prefer mellow, though not dull. Damned tricky business, this high fidelity...have to get it just right, but when you do, it's heaven.

I mentioned on Friday that I would try to get some listening in yesterday (Saturday), but events played out in such a way as I could not do as much as I would have liked. I'll try for more today.

I did, however, get to abuse the amp a little more. I repeat that for 100WPC, this is a dynamite amp. I'm not sure what exactly it can dump into these Infinity's with their über-complex load, but it did not seem to easily give up the challenge. The only noticeable distortion (that would not be present with say, the Citation Sixteen) is a sort of compression/cuppiness of the midrange. This only seemed to occur when the amp was hard over-driven, or close to it.

At normal listening levels the sound is fluid and sweet. Compared to the Citation Sixteen it is more of a proactive sound, as if it is actively engaging the speaker, where as the Citation is reactive and a little more laid back. Certainly, it sounds more nimble and quick, though I would say that the ability to bring out detail is about the same. With the Adcom, highs have a little more twinkle and lows a little more weight, at a similar volume. Whether a new input cap for the Citation would help in this regard is beyond the scope of this post. Like the Citation, the GFA-545 is extremely quiet, with nary a background hiss or hum (mechanical or otherwise).

Right now I am listening to a Bach compilation CD; a CD that demands both finesse and control from the amp, especially at lower Sunday-morning levels, and the Adcom is certainly up to the task. With an output level in only the tenths of a watt it is able to very convincingly reproduce delicate strings and piano, as well as give proper dynamics and scale to the Toccata and Fugue.

If the GFA-545 is representative of Adcom, and a mid-range unit at that, I just may have to rethink my amplifier situation. More listening is clearly mandated before making such a decision, but the fact it has me thinking about it at all is something in and of itself. At the very least, I am exploring the idea.

To answer ejfud, I should be finalizing the design plan today, if I can find time. I basically have to factor in bracing, then make the necessary recalculations to adjust for it. I also need to make my decision on whether to offset the mid and tweeter, or keep them in vertical alignment as originally designed- both ideas have their merits and issues. I'm getting ready to break out my 10-sided dice and roll on it! I did make one important decision though: The midrange sub-enclosure will be going all the way through the cabinet and will be open in the back (with the option to stuff it), creating, in effect, a dipole midrange.

Just bought a 545 at an estate sale today. I am very satisfied with the sound quality of this amp. Also picked up a preamp model GFP-555. Seems to be a problem with the "listening" source dial. Example: When i switch from one source to another, the sound crackles and volume drops for a few seconds. I think the contacts inside need cleaning. What say you?

I bought Adcom's first amp (GFA-1) then I bought the "A" model a bit later. For the money they were great. At the time I wanted a good 200wpc amp for my new JBL-150A/s.

Since then I bought a 555/555II plus several 565 mono blocks of which at one time I had 7 of the 565s with one on each speaker.

I have owned 535s/545s even a couple 2535s and a couple 535Ls. I've owned a few 555s and 555IIs modded by a friend who works on Adcom amps almost exclusively.

I have been told by Nelson himself if I remember correctly that the only Adcom he had a hand in was the 555. Not any other model. That said however I suppose Adcom did many things from that design. . .

I remember the fanfare that came along with the first Adcom amps.

Anyone remember what "GFA" or "GFP" or "GFT" stood for?? I do and it was true. . . and they lived up to the moniker. . .

I use two GFA 555's to bi-amp my Vandersteen Model 4's. They really sound good. I have read some people describe them as harsh in the highs, but have not found that to be my experience. Your GFA 545 sounds like a great amp. Enjoy the tunes.

Back
Top Bottom