Adcom GFA-565... Half a score!

Half a score

Man I know that you are disapointed about this amp not being stereo but this amp is a sought after amp that some would be crazy with joy to have this legend in their house.
I drive a SVS-2039 sub with mine and I gotta tell you that this is a match made in HT heaven. This guy wont stop or show signs of stress. I have driven my sub to insane levels and have yet to even light the distortion light on the amp. Extraordinary bass and much more power than its 300 rating.
If you are asking for takers I assume you mean will it work once you hook it up? Yes it is going to work. Word to the wise. . . Dont go crazy with volume level unless you intend to ruin a loudspeaker. Its not a killer but it has the capability to be used as a arc welder when not in use as an amplifier. . . LOL. . .

Damn!

Thanks gyusher for your precautionary words, as well as your "glowing" mini-review! It's unfortunate for me I can't just sit on it and wait though, I have a '70 Chevelle that could use the coin more than I would use the amp. Don't think me, or the guy she came from, realize exactly what a GFA-565 actually is...

Greg

That's where I "took" the money from! My Chevelle fund... I sell this amp and things will work out nicely! Too bad I didn't have her sooner, seems I might've been able to "weld" my rear inner fender wells with her!

>>>this amp is a sought after amp that some would be crazy with joy to have this legend <<<
Legend???
There is a reason why Adcom only made it for a very short time.
It was one of their worst sounding amps. Lots of power. but very hard and brittle in the uppermid/lower treble range. There is alot more to audio, than just power. I tried for 8 months to tame the harshness of those amps-different preamps, different speakers, after about 8-9 months, I just gave up and replaced them.
To each his own,
Jack

Just reading through the manual...

... This amplifier is like a high performance sports car. Don't take her for a spin until you learn how to use it safely.

... When disconnecting speaker leads after the amplifier has been operating, you must wait at least 2 minutes after shutdown to allow its massive capacitors to discharge.

Some pointers the book gives...

Great Subwoofer Amp

One thing is certain this is a great Subwoofer amp or an amp for difficult speakers. I used a pair of these to drive a pair of Definitive Technology BP-20s (the early ones before the upgrade that basically raised impedance) I was very impressed at its ability to drive what was a 2ohm and less load without any sign of stress, prior to this I had a pair of JBL L-250s that loved these amps, plus a JBL B380 sub that I drove with another 565 also a great combination, later after speakers started getting easier to drive and power requirements changed I sold my 565s and went to a Rotel 985THX Mk2 110x5 with a Rotel RB-981 (135x2) for music and stereo listening. I admit that the 981 Rotel was a nicer sounding amp but I am still crazy about the 565s, always will be.
I would love to own it but I need to get EchoWars paid for restoring/upgrading my SX-1010 and get Yaksplat paid for the new Curly Cherry case he is going to build for me. I have a mint SX-850 up on eBay now with one day left but it looks like the slow season is starting. Still it will sell. . . Then I could afford to pay what this 565 is worth to me anyway.
Funny how different peoples taste vary as some love this amp while others hate it. I know this if you intend to drive more than one you better have them on a dedicated circuit, they will trip breakers. I have a friend who tweaks this guy per Nelson Pass's recomendations and they are awesome after these upgrades.

As I said, to each his own. I drove Ohm Walsh 4s and Snell B Minors with them. I tried all sorts of combos, and mating them with a AR LS1 preamp helped take the *pain* out, but in the long run, I found them very fatigueing. I got rid of mine after about 9 months, and bought an Ayre V-3 instead.
Jack

A little interest. . . .

Bolly,
I have done everything but hit you in the head with a hammer trying to tell you that Hell yes I am interested in this 565. I am interested in any 565.
My relationship with these amps were totaly different than Jacks. In my mind used properly with the right equipment and speakers they blow away any other Pass design that is within reach of us average Joes. I have owned Fort'e, Threshold, both Pass designs and in my opinion the 565 beats both of those hands down. I know Nelson Pass designed the first 555 but I am not sure what if any input he had in the 565, I know he had nothing to do with the 555II, thought the changes were not necessary. Still it is basically a Pass design and I for one like it.
I really dont know what I would do with it except have a twin to the one I already have. Something to be said for that. . .

Enjoy the Adcom. I have the 535 which is supposedly the most musical of that series of amps, but only 60 w/channel.

Originally posted by vrao81
Enjoy the Adcom. I have the 535 which is supposedly the most musical of that series of amps, but only 60 w/channel.

Yes it is.
As far as I know, Pass had nothing to do with the 565s. He have a hand in the later Adcoms.
Jack

535/545

Both the 535 and 545 had a very nice sound. . . I think the 545 just didnt hit the mark. . . Too close to the 535, maybe if it was 135-150wpc it might have sold better and had better reception.
With modern speakers a 535 or 545 is in my opinion a better choice than either the 555 or 565. And with the advancement of decent subwoofers for music, not just noise makers or house shakers but nice musical subs, the trend is towards smaller more accurate easier to place speakers.
That said a big old AR or JBL is still hard to beat and brings back fond memories with me anyway. Just not enough room anymore.
The nicest sounding amp I have owned for listening was the Rotel RB-981. . . Its 135x2 power was just right and in my mind one of the sweetest sounding amps for the money around. I know there were better, nicer amps but at 600 bucks it was hard to beat that Rotel.

Back
Top Bottom