Adcom GFA-585 repair

miniman82

Go Navy!
Yes, another one of these amps with DC offset. Actually, it’s hitting the positive rail and won’t come off it. I’m not adept at transistor amps having only messed with tubes most of my life, but just having repaired a Peavey CS-800 has me feeling lucky.

What’s been done so far: soaked the board with alcohol multiple times to get off all the old cap goo, then replaced the bad Elna caps. Replaced all bad output transistors and associated fusible resistors. Found a few more bad resistors (R122 & R135 going to the output stage bases), and replaced them as well.

From what I am able to tell, there’s a problem with Q118(neg driver?). It’s getting quite hot, and I measured +70vdc at its collector, which I’m sure can’t be right. Sure seems like there ought to be about -70vdc or so, but not too sure. I’m man enough to admit when I’m licked, any ideas out there?

My head runs in circles with DC coupled amps, because of the whole chicken and egg situation. Is it hitting the rail because the input stage is telling it to, or is there some other fault causing it to happen and the input stage is fine- know what I mean?
DBE4D535-59C7-407F-B991-FDCE94505FE3.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, another one of these amps with DC offset. Actually, it’s hitting the positive rail and won’t come off it. I’m not adept at transistor amps having only messed with tubes most of my life, but just having repaired a Peavey CS-800 has me feeling lucky.

What’s been done so far: soaked the board with alcohol multiple times to get off all the old cap goo, then replaced the bad Elna caps. Replaced all bad output transistors and associated fusible resistors. Found a few more bad resistors (R122 & R135 going to the output stage based), and replaced them as well.

From what I am able to tell, there’s a problem with Q118(neg driver?). It’s getting quite hot, and I measured +70vdc at its collector, which I’m sure can’t be right. Sure seems like there ought to be about -70vdc or so, but not too sure. I’m man enough to admit when I’m licked, any ideas out there?

My head runs in circles with DC coupled amps, because of the whole chicken and egg situation. Is it hitting the rail because the input stage is telling it to, or is there some other fault causing it to happen and the input stage is fine- know what I mean?
View attachment 1124173
Replacing boards is highly recommended, tho you could try white vinegar soak followed by thorough distilled water rinses.

Alcohol is highly conductive, and does nothing to neutralize alkaline electrolyte.
You probably have board electrical leakage causing the offset and other problems.

Nevermind, Q105 was shorted and I missed it somehow. Offset fell to -.6v so it’s headed in the right direction finally, pretty sure that will clear up once I fix the slight imbalance in the +/-14v supply feeding the input cascode.

It’s not always the boards!

Back
Top Bottom