Adcom GTP-400 vs. GTP-500

stonecutter2

Hi there!

I won an auction on eBay for what was listed as a "GTP-400" combo pre/tuner. I received it, and it's a GTP-500. NOT (that I can tell) a GTP-500II. I assume it would be marked with the II somewhere if it were a mkII. I understand that the mkII lets you bypass some caps or something, to get different quality sound.

Anyhow, paid $75. Should i be disappointed that i got a GTP-500, or okay with it? Are there any known huge drawbacks to the 500 vs 400 series? All buttons/switches seem to work just fine, and I'm going to hook it up later tonight to my Onkyo Integra M-504.

I didn't have my heart set on a GTP-400 in any way, just wanted something to be a nice pre for my M-504, for my basement/entertaining stereo. Will be hooking up my turntable, cd player, 8 track, and reel to reel to it.

Is the incorrect listing a dealbreaker, or okay deal?

I appreciate anyone's opinion on the matter. Thanks!

I read a little about how the 500 can have issues with the tuner (the one i have here powers up the tuner fine, haven't tried it plugged in yet, though), but the 400 didn't have that issue.

Also, I read some good mentions of the 400's phono stage. I'm assuming that might not be the case for the 500.

Plugged it in, and it sounds great. Still making sure all parts work, but so far everything sounds awesome, even the tuner.

Congrats!
I recently converted my entire main system to Adcom and am very happy with it.

Thanks!

I've decided to keep the pre, so long as the phono stage works okay - testing that tonight.

For anyone who might end up finding this via search, according to Adcom's history webpage, the GTP-500 is the predecessor of the GTP-400. It apparently is somewhat prone to tuner problems, unlike the GTP-400 (so I've read). The GTP-500 is circa 1986 or so.

After my wife left for work today, I really pushed the GTP-500 and the M-504. The sound is very open, nicely crisp and extremely detailed. There is a bright quality to it, - but I also have a nice Onkyo equalizer that can help me adjust the sound if it gets too harsh.

Miles Davis Kind of Blue sounded excellent :music:

I have Adcom pre and power amps and I think they're great. I used to have a GTP-500II but I got rid of it because of a MAJOR (IMO) design oversight with the recording switch function. The way that the switching was laid out you couldn't record from tape 2 on to tape 1. Tape 2 is my reel to reel and tape 1 is my cd recorder, so I need to go back and forth between the 2 of them. Other than that it was an excellent preamp / tuner and I never had any problems with it (neither has the guy who bought it from me a few years ago - I see him every day at work). *UPDATE* The guy who bought my GTP-500II told me the FM tuner section went dead a while ago. He says he doesn't care about it because it's a great preamp and he doesn't even listen to the radio anymore but it bothers me that so many of them conk out. I've read that it's caused by a defective trimmer coil supplied to Adcom at the time of that series.

Last edited:
I am new here and I know this is an old thread. But just in case, I just pulled an Adcom GTP-400 from my check out pile and wondered how to use it? I have a Rotel RA-812 amp to pair this with. Do I hook the tuner and tape players to the Adcom then just use the main out? or do I put all the other inputs to the Rotel and just run the Adcom tuner to the Rotel? thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom