Added a DAC WOW to my setup - WOW!!

pete_mac

Hotaudio DAC WOW = woo hoo!

My PC is the source unit for my audio gear. The weakest link in the chain has always been the PC - it has been running off the built-in sound card. Not good!

After a fair bit of research, I ordred a Hotaudio DAC WOW which is a bargain-priced external DAC made in Canada.

When I originally upgraded my speakers and amps, each upgrade was like removing a layer of 'wooliness' present in the system. You could hear more and more detail each time as sound quality improved. This upgrade has finally removed the last big layer of wooliness. I'm happy to say that the PC source is no longer the weakest link in my setup :)

The build quality of the DAC WOW is decent enough, featuring a anodised aluminium black casing with plastic endcaps. It's not a thing of beauty per se, but it is fairly sleek overall and the endcaps make it look good in a 'rugged' kinda way.

Initial impressions - DAC WOW indeed! So much more detail compared to the onboard sound. Stereo separation is noticeably improved. Imaging is better. The various elements of the music can be heard separately rather than being one big smear.The amount of additional detail in the music is great. Lower noise floor too!

Now, this is my first external DAC so I have nothing to directly compare it to. However, I'm very happy with its performance. I might have to arrange a comparison in future between this and some other DACs out there.

This unit is wonderful bang-for-buck. An external DAC really is a great upgrade for anyone using their PC/laptop as a source for their audio. I wish I had done it sooner. It chews up and spits out my Harman Kardon and AKAI CD players.

I can see how upgrading and testing DACs could easily become quite addictive!

I've been looking for a decent DAC in this price range. Thanks for the review!

I'm using onboard sound via SPDIF and for some reason it sounds like garbage anytime the processor engages. I'm hoping a USB DAC will resolve my issues.

Again, thanks for the review!

Back
Top Bottom