Added a nice set of Column II to the collection

Rex81

A few years ago I did a full top to bottom restoration on a pair of WTLC and I've loved them ever since. With that in mind, a friend of mine said I should keep an eye out for a pair of Column II because they have a similar sound character to the WTLC but the bass goes lower and hits harder (he also knows I hate messing around with subs). Makes sense since the Column II are the successors to the WTLC (Wave Transmission Line COLUMN).

About two weeks after he mentioned that, I stumbled across a pair locally that needed some work, but the price was right. So I jumped on them. Turned out to need less work that I was expecting, which was a bonus. All the drivers were original, including the doped woofers, and were working perfectly, and recently refoamed. They just needed a nice refresh of the cabinet and grills, new feet (the original fiberboard runners were disintegrating) and they were missing the glass tops.

A few hours, some custom woodworking, and half a can of Howard's Restor-A-Finish later, they look and sound great in my living room system. I have Ohm Fs in my main system, but these do well here because this is the main living area, so they need to be good for movies and have a high WAF.

The bass on these makes a sub completely unnceccesary, and the wife says they're "very cute, very mid-century modern". She actually doesn't want me to replace the glass tops. She like them better without. So they're a good fit.

They're going to replace my Ohm Walsh 3, which occupied this space before. I really like the Ohms, but the Column IIs are better in almost every respect except perhaps that classic Ohm "airiness". The Column II are more dynamic, heavy handed, and forward. They can't compete with my Ohm F with jazz or other acoustic music, but they're a nice compliment because I can happily listen to everything I wouldn't dare play on the Fs.

I can't directly compare them to my WTLC because my brother is borrowing those at the moment, but off the top of my head, they certainly sound similar, but with a bigger, bassier sound, but lacking the ultimate sparkle that the WTLC achieves with its Walsh super tweeter. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as the Walsh tweeter can sound a bit "hot" at times.

Pictures show the Column II in place, next to the Ohm Walsh 3, and the new feet.

Attachments

• IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0621.JPG
    IMG_0621.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0622.JPG
    IMG_0622.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Thanks for the mini review. They look great, nice feet. If you change your mind on the glass tops it is surprising how cheaply they can be made at a glass shop. Most towns have one.

Thanks for the mini review. They look great, nice feet. If you change your mind on the glass tops it is surprising how cheaply they can be made at a glass shop. Most towns have one.

I was thinking that. I used to work at a hardware store and cutting custom glass was a simple and cheap procedure. However, the originals are smoked, right? Any special beveled edges or anything like that?

I was thinking that. I used to work at a hardware store and cutting custom glass was a simple and cheap procedure. However, the originals are smoked, right? Any special beveled edges or anything like that?
Maybe someone can post a pic of the tops. They are smoked or tinted and a glass shop could bevel the edge as well.

Nice speakers!
I'll get a picture of the tops tomorrow when it's light out.
They are lightly smoked, and are a polished edge, not really beveled, and I believe are tempered glass, like a china hutch shelf would be.
I can't imagine your wife not liking the glass tops as they really finish the top off.
As for not needing a sub, you're more than right on that account. My son kept trying to convince me, once I had my system setup (amazing what you can get done once the kids are out of college and on their own), that I needed to add a sub. That was until he heard them demo'd the right way. He'd never really heard them as a kid as I didn't use my system when he was younger and growing up. Once he heard the bass, he told me 'Dad, you're right, you don't need a sub.' First time I'd been right about something in a long time.

Thanks!

I'm still really enjoying them, but if I had any complaint about these, it would be that the bass is a little too impactful at times. It's plenty tight and musical, but just a little much on certain tracks. I tried cutting some squares of open cell foam and putting them on the floor under the woofers, but that didn't seem to help. Then I tried reversing the polarity on the woofer to take it out of phase. That tamed the bass and actually seemed to allow them to reach a little lower, but it tames the bass too much and didn't sound natural, so I wired them back the way they were before. I think next I'll cut some squares of shag carpet and put it under them. Right now they're sitting on bare oak floors.

Mine are sitting on carpet in the living room and yes, at times the bass can be a little much, especially now that I have my CS 3008's set up as the rears for my HT system. It can really shake the whole house at times. It's funny you mention this as last night I was trying to watch the Dodger's game on a local station that was broadcasting the game. It usually isn't available on my cable since it is on another system. Last night I actually had to turn it off because they had the bass cranked up on the audio sooooo much it was just BOOMING. Don't know if they were doing that to impress people to switch cable companies or what but it wasn't fun to listen to at all.
I think your problem shows your crossovers are working as they should. I forget the exact specs on them, but the lower, downward facing speakers are supposed to be getting all the lower end below a certain level and it sounds like yours certainly are. I know mine do!
I'll get some pics of the tops in a little while.

OK, here are some quick pictures of the glass tops I have, which are original by the way as I bought these speakers new back in '78 or so.
They measure 11-3/8" X 12-3/8" and have a nice tint to them.
Pictures show it sitting on my coffee table, without and with a plain white sheet of paper so you can see how dark it is tinted. Pics are SOOC and not corrected for white balance, no flash was used. The edges show a nice smooth polished edge, not sharp to the touch at all.DSC00778 (Large).JPG

DSC00779 (Large).JPG
DSC00780 (Large).JPG

Hope this helps you finish yours off.

The columns match your equipment table so nicely it looks like they grew there.

I know, I was pretty amazed at how close they match in color and style. Perhaps one of the reasons my wife is so happy to have them in the living room, despite their imposing size. Although I like to tell myself she just fell in love with the way they sound. :)

Back
Top Bottom