Adding a Subwoofer

David_NC

I have two separate systems in my listening / viewing area. One is a full 7.1 setup with a SVS SB12-NSD subwoofer. The other is a two-channel setup with a Luxman R-115 receiver and ADS L780/2 speakers. I'd like to use the subwoofer to supplement the ADS speakers. On a 'normal' subwoofer, this would be easy, as I could use the speaker in / out terminals and built-in crossover, but no such luck with this model subwoofer. The R-115 has pre-out jacks, but it doesn't have the corresponding main-ins. I can think of a few options to connect this up:

1) use the pre-outs from the R-115 and add a switch box to select HT or Stereo between sources and sub. This does nothing to keep low bass out of the ADS speakers.
2) Do the above and add some sort of bass blockers in line with the ADS speakers.
3) Use some sort of crossover like the ones built in to most powered subwoofers. Ideally, it'd have speakers in, speakers out, and line-level outputs for the subwoofer amp. So far, I haven't found anything like this.
4) Try to add main-in jacks to the R-115, which is likely impractical.​

Am I missing any obvious alternatives? I'm not sure what to use to accomplish options 2 or 3 above. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

Why not just get a powered sub with line level inputs?
This sub has line level inputs only, and my receiver has line outputs (but no main ins). This would be much easier if the sub had speaker level inputs along with line levels. As I explained, my question is mainly how to filter the low bass from the amps / speakers attached to the receiver.

My bad. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet, I guess... lol. I meant to say: Why not get a sub with speaker level inputs for that system? Seems like it would be the easiest and leat prone to complexity and failure.

My bad. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet, I guess... lol. I meant to say: Why not get a sub with speaker level inputs for that system? Seems like it would be the easiest and leat prone to complexity and failure.
It would be easier, but my listening space is already cramped with two separate systems (audio and HT), and I really like the SVS sub. I've had it over a year, and it's quite impressive, in this setup. I would basically be sitting on an additional sub! It seems like most of the better (not low end) subs don't have speaker inputs these days. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom