adding center speaker to existing stereo system

czechu

hello all members!

I need a little help from you guys!
I want to add center speaker to my existing stereo system witch i really, really, really enjoy.
The reason of doing this is that i recently added TV and started to watch some movies from time to time.

My current setup :
SF olympica 3 powered by Belcanto REF600M monoblocks and PS Audio Directstrem DAC as a source.
I’ve been only using my system for music, witch i stream using ROON.

I do understand i cannot simply connect center speaker. I guess i need some A/V receiver but i’m wondering if i could use it only for center speaker and keep the towers connected to monoblocks.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can. Have a look at the Yamaha Aventage range, starting with the RX-A870. There are a couple of cheaper models, but they lack the pre-outs that you'll need to connect your mono blocks.

There are plenty of alternatives, but since Yamaha is the brand I know, that's what I'll stick to recommending. One nice thing about the Yamaha is the Pure Direct button that will be useful when you are in music mode.

If you travel any distance down the rabbit hole of Home Theatre, the Yamaha will also handle Dolby Atmos and DTS: X, so you are reasonably future proof.

Yes there are. Have a look at the higher end Cambridge Audio models, amongst others. Cambridge lacks a lot of the bells and whistles that other manufacturers include, preferring (I'm told) to put the money into the equipment rather than licences.

so if i go this way i'll need another monoblock for center speaker ?
Am i right ?

No. You can run any, or all, of the speakers at speaker level. The pre outs just give you more choices. Most HT receivers have an on screen menu system. You'll probably have to tell the preamp section where to send the signal, whether to speaker, single ended or balanced, but that's about all.

i think i got it .
i will only need another amp for center if i get A/V preapm/ processor.
If i get a/v receiver i will just connect center directly to it and use pre-outs to hook up my monoblocks.
then change some output settings in setup.
right ??

i think i got it .
If i get a/v receiver i will just connect center directly to it and use pre-outs to hook up my monoblocks.
right ??

That's about the size of it. You can also mix and match. If you go with a pre-pro, you could add a multi-channel power amp. I believe Emotiva do a 3 channel power amp which you could use for your centre and L/R surround, keeping your mono blocks to power your mains. The room EQ software built in to all HT receivers will automatically adjust for the different hardware, so, once set up, all you'll need to do is sit back and select the volume level.

You haven't mentioned subwoofers. Pretty well all HT receivers have pre outs for a couple of subs. If you decide you don't need them, you can just switch off the output in the menu. There's a strange bit of terminology in HT. Speakers are referred to as Large or Small. This actually does not refer to the size of the speaker at all, but the bass management. Large sends the full range of frequencies to the speaker, Small sends frequencies below the selected cut off to the subwoofers. Speakers can be set to Large, whether there are subs in the system of not. Automatic setups usually refer to Large plus Sub as Extra Bass or Super Bass, something along those lines.

i think i got it .
right ??

Exactly

My system as it's set up right now is like this. I have an older Sony AVR (STR-DG1000). For LPs, tape, and CDs I use an external pre-amp (that gives me tape monitor function and a good phono section). That pre-amp feeds the line level inputs of the AVR. Then I run the AVR in audio direct mode and use the pre-outs to power amps and stereo speakers. This gives me remote volume control with minimum interference with the audio route. The AVR internal amps are connected to center and surround speakers and a pre-amp out goes to a powered sub-woofer as well, but these are silent in this mode. For other sources (DVD, blu-ray, TV) I use the AVR multichannel decoder and drive the additional speakers and sub if I want. The room equalization software sets all the speaker levels to match. Works very nice and very flexible.

(I admit sometimes I even go 2.1 mode with the sub when listening to an LP, but most of the time the stacked ADS L520s are enough).

Would you guys recommend me any powered preamp with balanced input and outputs with hdmi cec ?
I found denon DN-700AV but it doesn't have hdmi cec function.

Would you guys recommend me any powered preamp with balanced input and outputs with hdmi cec ?
I found denon DN-700AV but it doesn't have hdmi cec function.

Nothing that I've come across. Might be worth asking that question in the Home Theatre and Video section to give it more exposure. It's probably a bit out of scope in General Audio.

Back
Top Bottom