Adding remote capability to vintage receivers

CKRT

Does anyone know if it's feasible? If like to add it to my Sansui 4000 so I can use it in my main setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much remote capability are you looking for? I've seen add-on boxes that control volume, but I don't think switching sources is possible (anything is possible with enough ingenuity/money). Can't remember if I had seen the remote on eBay or somewhere else though.

Just volume. I think I've seen the remote you speak of. It's on eBay right now for $180 which is a little much for my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is $120 a little closer to your range?

www.smarthome.com
search their site for Remote Gain Control Module

DAK Industries (yes, THAT guy) used to sell a remote AV switcher that had volume control.
Go here and browse the catalogs; you may have luck finding a model number and then finding one for sale on the web:
http://cabel.me/2012/11/26/the-dak-catalog/

There's also an RS-1000 for sale in Bartertown that will do what you want...

Last edited:
I just listed a Sansui RS-100 kit on BT that adds remote control and some switching as well to vintage receivers.

attachment.php

Will the RS-100 work with my Sansui 4000? I can't find an owner's manual online or a list of supported models.

I own both the RS-100 as well as an Acoustic Research AR SRC. IIRC, the remote for the Sansui didn't have a mute function, if that's any concern to you or not. Also, there was no separate power button so to turn off you have to unplug the unit. The AR SRC has both these features.

You might also look into a Chase RLC-1 or Pioneer RC-760, both come up frequently on the auction site. But the Chase has a loudness compensation feature built-in which some people don't like. I think that Akai made a remote volume unit but can't remember the model number offhand - probably fairly rare though.

One thing I'd recommend is that whatever you get, use the original remote and program it's features into a newer learning remote. No sense wearing the original one out. I've programmed the AR SRC functions into a Sony RM-VL600 with no problems.

Last edited:
I was planning on adding the function my Harmony 650. There's an RLC on eBay for $180 but like I said earlier, that's too much to just add volume control. I'm lazy, but I'm not THAT lazy.:D

I couldn't find the RS-100 on the Harmony software, but I think you could just teach it the commands, yeah?

I couldn't find the RS-100 on the Harmony software, but I think you could just teach it the commands, yeah?

Yes, what I meant was using the teach function, so you'd do it manually. I'm sure it would be in the manual.

I saw the same RLC-1 listed (I've been debating of getting one myself). That's definitely a case of a seller putting a price out there to see if it sticks. They usually sell for much less. One in real nice shape just sold for $61.

I see. I picked up a RS-100 off eBay with all the parts besides the remote. I'll let you guys know how it works for me!

I see. I picked up a RS-100 off eBay with all the parts besides the remote. I'll let you guys know how it works for me!

Please do. But the remote is the crucial part - I don't know if your Harmony 650 will have the correct codes to operate the RS-100.

I got it in the mail today. Cool looking unit, but I'm having issues finding any instructions on how to hook it up. I also think you're right sauna dog...I might need the remote. I'm missing that, and the thing that attaches to the yellow plug on the back. :sigh:

HALP

I essence, you're trying to add remote volume control capability with a unit that....doesn't have a remote.

Don't worry about the yellow input on the back, that would connect to a Sansui tuner that was designed to accomodate that capability. You'd want to connect the RS-100 to your 4000 via tape loop.

But without the remote, the RS-100 can't control anything :no:

This may only be a partial solution but many of the older CD players have a variable loudness output so that you can control the volume with a remote. Of course you need the player and the remote, but even older high end players can be found fairly cheap.

I've got remote volume control and mute function on my Carver C-1 preamp and it's a Godsend. There's no input switching but I only listen to FLAC files from my media server anyway. It changes out the manual volume potentiometer and adds anything relay on the circuit and came with a universal remote coded as a Sony so I can control it with that remote or from my Harmony One.

Back
Top Bottom