Adding Three Pin to Plinth (Thorens TD-124)

theoman

Confused Member
Subscriber
Here's a easy one for you all. When going from a two prong to three what side does the blue go on?
I know the the ground goes to chassis, on the cord the prongs are same size.
IMG_8718.JPG IMG_8717.JPG IMG_8716 3.JPG

With the IEC plug feed the standard is that the live brown (black or red in the US) lead goes on the prong marked 'L' (right most on the last picture), the neutral blue (white or grey in the US) on the opposite prong, ground (yellow or green or y/g stripes) goes in the middle. Your wall outlet is hooked that way too - live is on the right. Inside the TT the polarity doesn't matter. Connect the neutral from the IEC plug to the blue wire if you want to keep the standard. If you're gonna add a fuse to this grounded scheme, make sure it's installed on the neutral lead. I always add 250V/0.5A fast acting fuse to all my TT's that I modify this way.

With the IEC plug feed the standard is that the live brown (black or red in the US) lead goes on the prong marked 'L' (right most on the last picture), the neutral blue (white or grey in the US) on the opposite prong, ground (yellow or green or y/g stripes) goes in the middle. Your wall outlet is hooked that way too - live is on the right. Inside the TT the polarity doesn't matter. Connect the neutral from the IEC plug to the blue wire if you want to keep the standard. If you're gonna add a fuse to this grounded scheme, make sure it's installed on the neutral lead. I always add 250V/0.5A fast acting fuse to all my TT's that I modify this way.

I ordered a filtered IEC for it, I do ground the chassis ti the plug?

yes, an EMI filtered IEC plug has 3 prongs at the back, the middle is ground. Most likely it has a fuse too. Mine do.

E8SfGm1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom