1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Adding tone controls.

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by jt1135, Nov 29, 2018.

1. jt1135

jt1135 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Using a McCormack DNA-1 with a McCormack ALD-1 pushing Penaudio Cenya's. Main sources are a Kenwood KP-07 turntable w/Ortofon Super OM30 , Yamaha CDC-775 for cd's, and Yamaha WXC-50 for Spotify, Pandora, etc. 80-85% of the time it sounds awesome but there are times playing music with a lot of screaming guitars it really starts to get harsh and shrill. Debating on putting an EQ in the tape loop to mellow out the guitars depending on the album or song I'm playing since there are no tone controls on the McCormacks. Any thoughts. Here's some pics of the room.
    20181129_061014.jpg 20181129_061041.jpg 20181129_061056.jpg

Using the old 70's tapestries to help with the reflected sound. Carpet on concrete and a suspended ceiling. Pics aren't the greatest as the lighting in my listening room (the basement) isn't the best. Speakers are about 3 ft from rear wall and 3.5 ft from side walls.

Edit: I have a Yamaha C4 and C65 gone through by Avionics that I could try in the tape loop if that makes any sense. I like the imaging, soundstage, etc. from the McCormack so would like to keep it as the preamp.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. GChief

GChief Not well known, super member or other silliness Subscriber

3. StimpyWan

StimpyWan AK Subscriber Subscriber

Classy first reflection absorber's! I like! A nice room too. Plus, you have a great system. Quality components. So, it might take a very good EQ not to hurt the sound quality of your set-up. One good enough, not to introduce it's own negative coloration's. Audio Control and Klark Teknik spring to mind first. Both build very nice EQ's. Graphic and parametric.

Oh, when only listening to music, I'd throw a towel or light blanket over the TV set as well. That large of a reflective surface, between the speakers, can cause nasty issues too.

jt1135 likes this.
  4. jt1135

:thumbsup:

5. WaynerN

WaynerN AK Subscriber Subscriber

6. jt1135

7. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wayne beat me to it! Graphic equalizers and tone controls have different contours.

A nice thing about the Loki is that it uses a discrete output stage instead of op amps for better sound quality.

8. jt1135

Thanks guys. After doing a little research I did order one today.

9. WaynerN

:Let is know how it works out. I have a need for one too, just waiting for someone in greater need to get one.......:)

10. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ditto. Once in awhile I find a recording needing help. I've been wondering about the Loki.

11. jt1135

:thumbsup:

12. jt1135

Have had a for a few days now. I'm liking it. I have it hooked into the tape loop and switch it in or out depending on the album. All the knobs are centered and it is small but seems well built. Light is bright tho.
    20181208_174518.jpg
    It's sitting on the power source for the ald-1 and the wrx-50. I don't have it tweaked much, but in my setup, it helped.

Lavane likes this.
  13. WaynerN

@jt1135 Looks nice. Glad it solves the problem.

Hey, your in Minnesota too...What town (PM me if you want).

14. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks for the report. :thumbsup: So far I haven't read anything negative about the Loki. I guess I'll pry my wallet open and give it a shot.

15. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

16. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Place one or more same sized circles of blue painter tape over it to reduce brightness. Did that with a couple of cable boxes.

jt1135 likes this.

17. jt1135

Works nice:thumbsup: