Adding tweeters on top

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by vinyl fiend, Oct 12, 2017.

1. vinyl fiend

vinyl fiend Active Member

I wish to add more sizzle to my speakers. I have a bunch of old Philips tweeters hanging around, as well as some salvaged two way crossovers. I can use the X-overs. whats the best way to hook them up? A tail from the midrange inside the cabinet going to the 2nd x-over? or just hook from my B speaker output on the receiver to the x-over, into the tweet? thanks

2. bowtie427ss

bowtie427ss arigato gozaimashita

It sort of depends.

If the sensitivity of your existing speaker system exceeds the broad band sensitivity of the philips tweets, you will be hard pressed to get much of the sizzle or sparkle you are looking for out of them.

Knowing which model tweeter and which speaker system will help net you more empirical answers.

If the sensitivity jives, then i'd recommend NEW caps to bring them in 1st order, very high up, maybe 10-12khz as a starting point.

Where to connect them will also somewhat depend on the existing speaker system, and again the sensitivities of each. It may be as simple as parallel with the existing tweeter. But if the existing tweeter was more sensitive than the other drivers, there will be padding in the circuit to balance the system, if the philips are less sensitive than the stock tweets, you would need to tap in ahead of the pad.

Leben likes this.
  3. vinyl fiend

one box has a Philips tweet, the other one is a Hartley tweet. The speakers are both big Hartley 3-ways. I'm thinking of running the extra tweeters parallel. How do I wire that? For clarity, I'm using a crossover just for the extra tweeters. They were taken out of a small Klipsch Icon two-way so the freq. cut-off should be ballpark.

4. CopperWizard

CopperWizard Well-Known Member

I just run a wire from the terminals out of the main speaker up to the perched tweeter. The wires are shorter and it makes it easy to switch the tweeter when it inevitability loses favor.

5. vinyl fiend

Yeah, that it is wired in the enclosure. mid range terminal -> high freq. x-over -> tweeter. So can I double up on pigtails coming off of the mid range driver to two tweeters? will this effect the load or impedance?

6. CopperWizard

CopperWizard Well-Known Member

Yes you can. The "leg" of the tweeter that has the crossover is only affected by the tweeters resistance (ohms.) So the tweeter capacitor is seeing the tweeters resistance only. The higher frequencies have a higher resistance so the overall load isn't a worry usually. You might try switching the polarity of the tweeter(s) as well to see if there is a better integration. Other tricks include, attenuation and or dispersion of the highs using a cover over the tweeter using for example foam or felt. Facing the tweeter upwards can be a fun experiment.

7. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Super Member

I stuck piezo horns (no crossover needed) on top of my double Advents years ago for exactly the same reason. I blew Advent tweeters at an alarming rate. They added sizzle alright but were hideous to listen to. Original intended design was much better. Just accepted they were not supposed to sound like JBL's or CV's.