Adopting Families for the Holidays 2012

The thanks should properly go to you and Ms. Grumpy and Dave for enabling us in our passion and our search for Audiokarma bliss.:yes:

Thanks!

Just spent the last 2 1/2 hours wrapping presents with my daughter Lauren. We have 2 families to deliver to tomorrow. And I am so glad to hear that our favorite Santa's helper, luvvinvinyl, will be coming along.

Here is a letter written by one of the families, that registered with Volunteers of America, with the hope that their family would be adopted. And they were, by the members of Audiokarma.

The family story
We are a family of five I am a full time worker and my husband is
disabled and he gets SSI he also has a part time job and he volunteers
at a thrift store in our local town to give back to the community. I am
also going to college part time and it is hard to survive when we have
three children that live with us and we want to give them the world we
try our best but it does seem times we do fall short especially when it
is holiday time. Our children are so precious to us and we would love
for them to have the best Christmas ever. Honestly it seems so hard but
we can't give up because this is for our children and the well being of
them even when they grow up we have to show them a strong foundation and
give them things we never had and change their lives like they have
changed ours. Sometimes people can look at the outside and think oh
there alright but it is in the inside we do struggle everyday with our
finances to be able to support not only our children but us also. We do
give up a lot of things and that is what we love to do for our children.
I am honestly not the type to really express my feelings by words just
really by actions so it is really hard to explain my situation but I
know this is for the best cause I can and that is my children and
family. I love to be able to see them smile I do get those a lot but it
is at the times when I can't I feel down but I know I have them in my
heart and that is why I do what I do everyday go to work and try to
install good family values. We are just really a struggling family that
really needs help at these times. I know us as a family we are so
appreciative for the things we do have and it is hard to really come to
the point where you need to ask for help it is hard for me really but I
understand this is for my family and I want them to be happy. Honestly
really I don't need anything I'm doing this for them I would give
anything for them to be really happy on the holidays and not have to
think about if they are going to get anything for Christmas or other
holidays. It is really a hard struggle out here I even work and do my
best to provide but sometimes it gets hard and we are not able to do a
lot especially when there is money involved but if it is talking and
playing and sharing with our children that is done everyday. I just
don't like for them to be unhappy and especially around holidays because
it is a time of celebration and coming together and not having to worry
about things. I honestly can write a book about why I really wish for
my family to be adopted. I just want them to have a great and wonderful
holiday and I know I have come to the point where I am not ashamed to
ask because I try so hard but I know I do fall short and this is the
time to really just ask and know I am doing this for the best reason and
that is for my family. I really hope this hits your heart because it is
the truth and it is coming from a mother and wife that loves her family
and who is trying to do the best in these trying times. I really wish
and hope you guys can help us. I do thank you for taking the time to
listen. God Bless and I hope you have a great holiday as well.

At the end of every letter was this:

Thank you for becoming a sponsor for a family in need this Christmas.
Your generosity and thoughtfulness will make a real difference in the
lives of the families served. It is only with the help of people like
you that we can share the magic of Christmas to over 4,000 families this
year! Your sponsorship has put us one step closer to meeting that goal
of putting smiles on the faces of 16,000 children this holiday season.
Attached is the wish list and contact information for your adopted
family(ies) as well as the guidelines for you as a sponsor. Please
contact the family and make arrangements to deliver gifts to the family
BY 12/22/12.
PLEASE CONFIRM BY A RETURN EMAIL THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO HELP THIS FAMILY.
****As you can imagine, providing this service does require some
expenses for us- each family who is directly adopted costs us about $30
to get their application, get them approved and ready to be adopted. We
are asking everyone who does a direct adoption if you would be willing
to make a small donation towards the long-term sustainability of the
program in addition to your generous gift to this deserving family. No
amount is too small or too large; every single dollar makes a real
difference to those that we serve. Would you be willing to do this
today?****

Some of the messages from the families are simple and to the point. This was another family that Audiokarma adopted. They live in a rural area and are struggling. But because of your generosity, their 4 kids will have have presents under the tree on Christmas morning.

The family story

I would like my family to be adopted because my husband and I are having
a financially hard time. His hours and pay has been cut and we are
barely making it with the current bills we have. I just want my children
to have a good Christmas.

Another family that will have a Christmas thanks to the members at Audiokarma.

Her Story:

I hope our family is adopted this year because i have 3 Great children
that deserve the best Holiday season ever. I am a single mom of 4(2
adult children and 2 minor children.I also have my grand daughter living
with my son - in my household).Money is a challenge during this time of
the year due to the actual cost of living expenses that are needing to
be met.

Here is the story of one of the families that we delivered to today. This letter is short and simple, but her story is so much more. She is a proud woman who probably would not have asked for help if it were not for her children, whom she seems to be raising to become wonderful adults. This woman was very special and I am so glad that we were able to meet her and help her.

Her Story:

I suffer from fibromyaliga and depression. I'm on disability because I
can not work. I'm barely paying my bills right now so If I can get help
for my children for Christmas it would be truly a blessing for us.

I had the best day, yesterday. I got to go with Dave and Nancy to deliver Christmas to two families. If you are having a hard time finding the Christmas spirit in your life, find a way to do this. You will be amazed at how good you feel, and it doesn't seem to be going away.

We met two wonderful families, yesterday. The first family had three beautiful children, and we met Grandma and Great-Grandma. It broke my heart to see with how little these people were trying to get by. But the faces on these two little girls just started to beam, when they saw the bags of candy and stuff that Nancy fixes for all the kids. I think that, for a second, they thought that was it, and, you know, I believe that they would think it a blessing. When I started unpacking wrapped packages, and placing them around their little tree, their eyes grew wide, and they gasped, and looked at Grandma in wonder. Even the son, older, and maybe a bit world-weary, gave up his cynicism. Their little 3' white Christmas tree, decorated with a few candy canes, looked so much better once it had a stack of presents around it. Grandma was overcome, when she opened the card, with Nancy's letter, and a gift card for a grocery store. Think, for a second, about where you life is if you are hoping to get help with Christmas dinner. How lucky are we?

At the second house, we were met by the mom, but the kids were out. Like many here, the mom was dealing with disabling pain in her life, lost job, and a host of other problems. All she could talk about was how much of a blessing it is that we were able to come help her. We had a nice visit, and I noticed that mom seemed to have a huge weight lifted from her.

Both these families talked about us being a blessing to them. That may be. I will tell you this. Being able to help families who are so up against it, is a blessing for us.

So many people pitch in, here, to help AK bring Christmas to families who have literally nothing, so all of you, too, are part of that blessing, both giving and receiving the blessing.

Thanks for making this possible.

Be blessed, this Christmas, and every year.

I am a few days behind but I hope these updates will make the wait well worth it.

Saturday we delivered the gifts to 2 families with Ernie's help. As Ernie described his experience with the first family, it brought back all the emotion of that day. This was one of those families that your heart was breaking for. They are just trying to survive, without the expenses of the holidays. And when Ernie started putting those gifts under the tree I saw tears in mom's eyes. You could feel the emotion in the room, but it was so much more than a thank you could convey. As we left we all gave mom a hug and she didn't want to let go as she thanked each one of us. We wished her a Merry Christmas and walked to the van. My heart was breaking, seeing how this family was living, and I just wanted to run back into the house and tell those little girls sitting on the couch to never give up believing in Santa Claus and miracles. Sitting here right now, I have tears in my eyes knowing that we touched this family this Christmas.

The second home we went to was just as emotional, but in a different way. Here was a woman who was a working woman until fibromyalgia ravaged her health. Her children were not there, but to hear her talk about them you could feel the pride and love that she had for them. Even with her pain, she wanted us to know about the children whose lives we were touching this Christmas. She showed us awards her children had won, she told us stories about how they had raised money to compete in a freestyle skate competition. We were told about how they rake the leaves for some of the elderly neighbors and in the winter how they shovel the snow for them too. These girls do all of this without accepting any money. From everything that this mom has taught these kids, they take great pride in giving back.

Side note:
Whenever I make the initial call to a family to find out what they need I am usually thanked and some ask why we do it. The mom in the second story I remember telling her that it was our way of paying it forward. When we were at her house she said that she took what I had said to heart, and had actually been standing in line to get a coffee a couple of days before and paid for the guys coffee that was in line behind her. It is amazing how what you do here, with all your donations to adopting families, has, and will continue to carry on past these families.

On Sunday evening David and I talked about what we were going to do with the last donation we could get in to VOA before Christmas. I told him that we did not have that much left to wrap, and that we didn't have a lot to do on Christmas Eve so why try to adopt 2 families that I could meet at a Store and surprise them with a shopping spree.

So Monday morning David was on the phone as soon as VOA opened. The rep tried to find 2 families close by, but no luck. But what she did find was one family that had 5 kids and a mom. David looked at me with a questioning look and I said take it. It was Christmas Eve, how many people who are calling last minute are going to take on a family of 6 ? Think about it, it would cost twice as much to adopt this family of 6 as it would a family of 3. This was a way for us to help a family that might not otherwise be helped, especially this close to Christmas. So I called the mom and made arrangements for us to meet at a local store to go shopping. Crazy, yep I know, but we could help this family and we were going to do it !

I met the mom inside the store, she came with her sister, and I told her who I was and about Audiokarma and it's members and what we do to raise money to adopt families (we tell every family about AK and what you do). I then told her "Let's go shopping". She just stood there not knowing where to start. I asked her what her kids needed and she starting talking and I said, well lets go get it. This was a woman who wanted to make every dollar count. She said she hadn't bought anything new for her kids for a long time, she does most of her shopping for cloths at the Salvation Army. I was really glad that her sister was there to push her to buy things that the kids needed, as well as talking her out of things that her kids had and she thought maybe they needed a new one. Example, one of her boys she had bought a coat at the Salvation Army and she was looking at a new one, her sister asked if he really needed one or if the one he had was good for the winter, she said his coat would last the winter so we moved on to the next thing.

This mom bought pajama's for all the kids, a coat for one daughter, a couple outfits for another, underwear for the little ones, boots for one, shoes for another. All the while she was shopping I was keeping track of what we were spending. I was also listening to the conversations that they were having. They talked about what they were going to have for Christmas dinner, there was nothing really to eat at their house and what could they make from what they had. All the while I knew that I still had another surprise for them out in my van. I had a card with a gift card inside for a local grocery store.

Once we were done in the clothing department we headed to the toys. She still had some money left for toys in the budget and she got the dolls the girls wanted, and the WWE toy her son really wanted, a V-tech learning toy for her little one (price was marked incorrect on this one and we got a smoking deal). After the toys there was still a little left and we got stocking stuffers for her. I asked her what kind of cereal her kids liked and she picked up a couple boxes of cereal and milk so the kids would have b'fast on Christmas morning. So we were done, now we stood in line for almost 30 minutes. We went a little over the budget I had set, but it was my fault because I picked up a couple toys and other items for the family.

We went out to the parking lot and as they were loading up the car I went to my van and got the card. I had her open the card and she was so happy to see the card for the grocery store. They were going to stop on their way home. Each one of them gave me a hug and thanked me for taking the time, especially with it being Christmas Eve, to take them shopping. I think I saw a few tears, and not only in my eyes.

I have had many different experiences with the families, but this one was unique. And I am so glad that we did this family this way. Usually it is the wonderment in the childrens eyes. This one was the look in the moms eyes of OMG, is this really happening to me.

Those are lovely stories, thanks so much for sharing them! And thanks to you, Dave and Ernie for all of your hard work on our behalf.

Quick question, with Christmas over, can we still make donations to the fund? I would have asked sooner, but just received a small bonus I wasn't expecting. It could help defray some of your costs if nothing else.

Hi Jim, you sure can. We make our final donation on Jan 1st so theres still time.

I plan on running a few more auctions myself to help those that think people forgot about them.

Dave

There is no donation too small. We have received a $5.00 bill in an envelope from a member with a note. The note said that this was all he could afford and he hoped that it would help buy a gift for a child. He was right, we add his $5.00 to other $5.00 donations and they add up to being able to adopt another family. Every penny counts, and every penny goes to help a family, a senior or to feed the hungry.

Thank you for these stories. Maybe we should do this again in six months, there are always people in need.

That is a wonderful idea cary. But this has become such a tradition that I think some people hang onto things just so they can auction them off for the families.

Another concern I have is time. In the warmer months I am no where to be found. I travel a lot in my Chevelle covering local and regional car shows for Chevelleforum.org.

Thank you cary. But I don't deserve it. I am just doing what needs to be done. The members do all the work. Listing auctions, making sure that payments are made and shipping the items. I get the best part. I get to meet these families and hear about their kids, listen to the hardships that the past year has brought them, and most of the time cry with them. My heart breaks for each family, and I always wish we could do more. But I know that for every family we meet, there are 100's, if not 1,000's more just like them. Maybe one day we will be able to help the 1,000's of families. Someday.....

Back
Top Bottom