ADS-1290 any good?

westend

Audiopile
Does anyone play these speakers? I see a lot of posts about the ADS line but have never listened to any, that I remember. Where do these sit in the ADS line-up?

It sits on my last ADS speakers to get list. If they sound anything like the other ones I have they will be great.

westend said:
Where do these sit in the ADS line-up?
They sit pretty high up there although I've never heard them. They sit one level below the TOTL 1590's from the mid 80's. Are you looking at a pair and if so do you know if they are 1290 2's? Here's a couple of pics from the pair for sale on eBay right now.

Attachments

• 1290 small 1.JPG
    1290 small 1.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 1290 small 2.JPG
    1290 small 2.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 313
Thanks for the replies, Duff and OneP.They are supposed to be identical to those. I don't know if they are series 2. Yes, I'm thinking on a pair. My problem is that I have too much gear, at present, and have to sell off some for more room. :D I have nine pairs of various makes and brands but no A/D/S. I have heard a lot of good things about the brand but have never listened to any. Would buying the 1290's, in good condition, be a no-brainer for less than $500?

westend said:
Would buying the 1290's, in good condition, be a no-brainer for less than $500?
I think so but $400 would be better. If they come with the original boxes and manuals that's a plus too. Good luck and let us know if you buy them.

westend said:
...I have nine pairs of various makes and brands but no A/D/S. I have heard a lot of good things about the brand but have never listened to any. Would buying the 1290's, in good condition, be a no-brainer for less than $500?

For $500 it would be a no brainer. I had the opportunity and let it go and now I'm kicking myself. I've gone through tons of speakers and now I have 3 pairs of ADS and one set of Brauns.

onepixel said:
For $500 it would be a no brainer. I had the opportunity and let it go and now I'm kicking myself. I've gone through tons of speakers and now I have 3 pairs of ADS and one set of Brauns.

I've turned down $500 offers for my L1290's. I use the a/d/s PA1 biamp modules in mine, in an all a/d/s system using the CD3 cd player and CC4 tuner/preamp. Nice home office system!

If my opinion counts, then you'll get the 1290's. Nice example of Michael Kelly's work, and the classic New England sound.

Best,

Paul :thmbsp:

Guys, I'm going to have to pass on these at present so I'll let my AK brethren in on their location. They are listed in the Mpls. Craigslist and are being sold for $350. I hope they're still available and can be used by a fellow AK'er. I tossed this around for a couple of days and really can't justify the purchase at this time. I just have to organize my stash and repair what I have at present. Also, I have been in communication with a seller who has some other gear that I can't pass up. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a pair of these in the future. Thanks to all for the recommendations and pricing info.. Here's the link to the sale:http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ele/215868071.html

The pair I passed up for $500 eventualy sold on eBay for $800+.

Hey anyone coming out west from Minneapolis? I'll buy them! As long as they're not black.

Carl

I recieved an email back from this guy fishing for more than the $350 so I just walked away. I'm not going to play that game.

Maybe he figured out they were worth more, or got swamped with phone calls.

Gary

Thanks for the replies, Duff and OneP.They are supposed to be identical to those. I don't know if they are series 2. Yes, I'm thinking on a pair. My problem is that I have too much gear, at present, and have to sell off some for more room. :D I have nine pairs of various makes and brands but no A/D/S. I have heard a lot of good things about the brand but have never listened to any. Would buying the 1290's, in good condition, be a no-brainer for less than $500?
Is it a good deal to buy a pair of A/D/S 1290 speakers in good condition for less than $500? I know this is an old post but I am impressed by your posts. So I asked a question in my mind. Please if anyone can answer this question I will be very happy. Appealing to the admin. Please approve my post, Thanks

Welcome to ak. Admins don't approve posts, they change or delete inappropriate posts. Yours is just fine.

Speakers are worth 5 but take one of those c-notes in twenties and talk em down a couple few of them when they are ready to take the cash.

If you find anything new currently made in the range $350-500 comparable to the 1290 then buy those.
Do some search of the web and AK and you will quickly learn how good ADS is - you can’t go wrong with any model including the original Braun
Good luck!

I babysat a set of L1290s for a bit until the owner could pick them up. Probably the best speaker I've had in my listening space. It was an educational experience for me as I liked the L1290 quite a bit more than the ADS L810 that were temporarily bumped (the 810 and 1290 share the same drivers).

If you find anything new currently made in the range $350-500 comparable to the 1290 then buy those.
Do some search of the web and AK and you will quickly learn how good ADS is - you can’t go wrong with any model including the original Braun
Good luck! g
okay, thank you, sir

A/D/S they are just garbage:p... Just kidding, a pair of (I Agree NON black) 1290's for $500 or under is a very good deal you will like them. I also do not care for oak cabinet's from the mid 80's on. That is my personal preference.
I am still waiting for a set of 2030's to come my way.

Happy Listening!

Back
Top Bottom