ADS 710 score! $10.00

cubdog

banging through drywall
I went out to get some gas this afternoon and stopped in a pawn shop on my way home. Imagine my suprise when I found a pair of ADS 710's for $10.00. I will need to refoam all four drivers but the cabinets and grills are in pretty darn good shape. I take it these are popular speakers around here, has anyone attemped to refoam them? What am I looking at in cost? Also if anyone has current Orion values I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks.

cubdog

great score cubdog!

ADS SPK, L- 710
Description
Manufacture Years: 1974 - 1978
Additional Information
Retail
MSRP: $760.00
USED: $330.00

NEENER neener NEENER!!---hey cubdog! i gotta pair of L810's a while back, packaged up in a 'system' that included a nikko receiver, and a nakamichi cdp. $89 for the 'system'...so, even though you did good, i could sell my electronics and have a pair of FREE L810's. so i beat ya. there, take that! AND, mine don't need refoaming, just listening. but anyway, good job, and i'm just raggin on ya in goofy sorta way. i think you'll like them ADS'ers. yessir. i do, i rightly do.

shrinkboy
(just drank a huge cuppa coffee and i'm peakin', man, i'm peakin')

Great score Ross!

I have re-foamed a 6 drivers at this point! Hollar if you need help. The best deal I found on foam is at HBF Electronics. But of course, I didn't really find it- other than finding it here in a post.

Enjoy!

Ed

i thought these had rubber surrounds? need pic's to verify foam/rubber issue. if they are foam, then there is a good possibility that either someone screwed up an earlier repair or they are not ADS drivers.

No, really early ADS drivers did have foam surrounds. There are a few places that do sell rubber surround but they are hard to find. Most ADS drivers with foam surrounds are easy to refoam if you have the right dimensions. Max it would cost you is $40 for all 4 surrounds like from Orange County Speaker Repair. I'm sure you can find the surround for less though if you look hard.

Congrats on the score, they should sound greater once put back together.

Regards,

Bart

A/D/S went from foam to butyl surrounds about 1981 - 1982. They used the same speaker and only changed the surround material so if you can find the replacement butyl surround it will last longer. I have a set of L310s that had the foam and A/D/S swapped them out at no charge when at about 5 years old the foam disentigrated and replaced them with the a new set of butyl surround drivers in about 1985. 20 years later they are still going strong.

Possibly A/D/S can supply the replacement surround or has an exchange program. They still exist though not in a major way.

i know my L-520's i bought in 1979 had the butyl surrounds from the factory. i know that at that same time the entire ADS line used butyl surrounds and they marketed this as a feature. the only ADS woofer i know of that didnt have the butyl surround were very early ADS that were actually Braun drivers.

How would the earlier Braun woofers be marked? Mine have a paper ads label on the back. Is there another way to tell the difference between the Braun and later woofers?

cubdog

the only way i know of is by date, unfortunately i dont know for sure when ADS quit using Braun drivers sent over from Germany, somewhere around 74 i believe.

I think the original braun drivers had rubber surrounds not foam. At least the ads I saw with original brauns had rubber.

yeah me too. maybe ADS went from butyl to foam on some models at one point in the 80's? i had heard of foam in very early ADS woofers but have never seen them.

ADS L 710 Speakers

speakers that I have owned since the very early 70's. These were the Braun drivers imported by ADS and assembled here. The foam surrounds ARE original and a good way to know that you have just about the best speaker ever made in its size. My foam surrounds lasted 30 years! While searching for replacement original drivers I picked up a pair of vintage 810's (just can't get enough of that open, brilliant ADS sound. Although the 810's were the higher priced (and rated) speakers, I still miss my 710's. Just picked up 4 (butyl) replacements and will install them in my 710's while I try to find someone competent to repair the originals. Will sell my 810's on completeion of restoration.

Let's see if we can narrow this down. I bought my L300s in the fall of 1980 and at that time all of the models on display foam surrounds. When I had to have them refoamed in 1985, the model had been superceded with the L310 and the stock woofer in it was butyl. A/D/S said they were the same woofers except for the surround with the same charactoristics except the 310 with the butyl had slightly better detailing. At that time you could order the woofer with either surround but A/D/S stated the reason for the change was b/c of the short lifespan of the foam. I remember the Brauns and A/D/S from the early to mid 70s as having foam. The color of the 2 surrounds in the L300/L310 was virtually the same so I may have be mistaken as to the earlier models. At that time foam vs. butyl was really neither an issue or a selling feature to think about.

i have been running the L810's i scored a couple weeks ago (the ones i was kiddin' cubdog about) with a yamaha A-1 amp. that is a very high quality combination. i had to sit my speaker stands on slabs of granite on the brick floor, and will probably also add some hockey pucks too, in order to tame the bass from those pups. i mean, they THROW some bass at you. the ones i have do have the butyl surrounds on the pair of 8" woofs.

Back
Top Bottom