ADS-910's

Excellent score..those 910's retailed for around 1000.00-1200.oo back when sold new in the late 70's.
Rubber butyl surrounds on those woofers/mids or foam glenn?

hunter

It sure was! The seller was very happy they were going to a good home!

Yes, rubber surrounds on the woofers. The mids are soft domes. The cabs need a light sanding and several applications of oil. The stands are near perfect. I have the sales brochure and three instruction pages, which came with the speakers before the owners manual was available! No owners manual though.
Serial numbers 02551 & 02552.

Very close to my pair: s/n's 2645 & 2656.

I hope you have some great fun with them Glenn. Ours are the earlier versions with the 1" tweeter. Sometimes I've wondered what they might sound like with the later version tweeters and woofers. I have a pair of the tweeters. Might have to swap them in one day. It's not clear to me if there are crossover changes to go with the 3/4" tweeters. Just curious I guess.

John

Nice little haul there with all of that. I've read so many comments along the same lines that you can't really go wrong with any ads speakers. I've never seen or heard any but the pair I own and I'll try to nab any more that I can find.

I'd say so! I've never had a haul like this! The seller was into nice audio gear. They are thinking of moving and he just wanted to get the stuff out of the house.

These are the first ADS's I've heard. Can't wait to get them hooked up tomorrow for a quick listen. They are BIG! I'll need to make room, rearrange the herd for these. They are 100 lbs plus the stands!

Very close to my pair: s/n's 2645 & 2656.

I hope you have some great fun with them Glenn. Ours are the earlier versions with the 1" tweeter. Sometimes I've wondered what they might sound like with the later version tweeters and woofers. I have a pair of the tweeters. Might have to swap them in one day. It's not clear to me if there are crossover changes to go with the 3/4" tweeters. Just curious I guess.

John

Hi John,

Pretty cool! Probably made the same week or close to it!
Besides the tweeter, what's the difference with the later woofers?

I feel like this evening has been a whirlwind! I'll post some pics shortly.
I saw that link when I was looking at past AK threads on yours and others.

Glenn

Congratulations!

I like my speakers big and heavy. You should have seen me dragging the deMars in the front door, by myself. It was awesome.

Biggles

It sure was! The seller was very happy they were going to a good home!

Yes, rubber surrounds on the woofers. The mids are soft domes. The cabs need a light sanding and several applications of oil. The stands are near perfect. I have the sales brochure and three instruction pages, which came with the speakers before the owners manual was available! No owners manual though.
Serial numbers 02551 & 02552.

Very cool,luv it when this gear comes with documentation as well,and the stands!
The rubber butyl surrounds on my 50 yr old Brauns is still like new..will outlive me in all likely hood.
congrates..nice speakers!!

Hunter

Very cool,luv it when this gear comes with documentation as well,and the stands!
The rubber butyl surrounds on my 50 yr old Brauns is still like new..will outlive me in all likely hood.
congrates..nice speakers!!

Hunter

Thanks hunter!
Pretty exciting evening!

Glenn

Congratulations!

I like my speakers big and heavy. You should have seen me dragging the deMars in the front door, by myself. It was awesome.

Biggles

I would have paid to watch you do that!

I wasn't going to even attempt to lift these out of the car and into the basement by myself.

Glenn

$125.00 is unbelievable. Congrats. I just picked up a pair of ads l880's for $375.00.

They are just awesome. Using an old Yamaha amp 100 watts per channel until I can get my HH Scott 345 goodwill amp serviced.

I love these dad's.

Enjoy.

$125.00 is unbelievable. Congrats. I just picked up a pair of ads l880's for $375.00.

They are just awesome. Using an old Yamaha amp 100 watts per channel until I can get my HH Scott 345 goodwill amp serviced.

I love these dad's.

Enjoy.

Congrats to you too! Good condition?

My A-X9 is in the shop getting the phono section fixed and that's probably what will be driving the 910's, but first the LK-72 will be used. Really curious to see how that little amp will drive these.

Glenn

Great score, Glenn! That's an insane deal on those... That's a Boise, Idaho price!

(Never mind the Boise thing... Inside joke... I recently talked to someone from there who mentioned some insanely-low prices on normally-expensive gear)

Let us know when you get them all-juiced-up and jamming in the jamcave. I've read a few threads on this model, me liking big schpeaks and all. Can't wait to hear how they sound in that room, which seems bigger than the room where I have my W90's.

Last edited:
Great score, Glenn! That's an insane deal on those... That's a Boise, Idaho price!

(Never mind the Boise thing... Inside joke... I recently talked to someone from there who mentioned some insanely-low prices on normally-expensive gear)

Let us know when you get them all-juiced-up and jamming in the jamcave. I've read a few threads on this model, me liking big schpeaks and all. Can't wait to hear how they sound in that room, which seems bigger than the room where I have my W90's.

Thanks GT! The cave needs some serious purging and rearranging to fit these beasts!

Oh man are those beautiful. Do an AK search for some good tutorials of how to sand those minor scratches out... :D

Seriously though, just fantastic, and wow what a price. :sigh:
Looking forward to your impressions. I would really try to bargain with the wife to get them into your bigger space, even if only for an afternoon. I think they will really do their thing with some air to breathe.

Beautiful. On the crossovers, the two missing screws on the terminal strips were where the incoming cables were connected.

Can't wait to hear your listening impressions. I sure hope you have a good first impression after all this excitement.

John

Beautiful. On the crossovers, the two missing screws on the terminal strips were where the incoming cables were connected.

Can't wait to hear your listening impressions. I sure hope you have a good first impression after all this excitement.

John

Hi John,

I have the screws. Had to remove them to get the wires out. I love being able to pop the crossover board out! Awesome design. Interesting that these are sequencial, but the caps are different.

I got a lot of rearranging to do and I want to sand and oil the cabs before they go into their space. A bunch of my other speakers need to be sold to make room!

Glenn

Oh man are those beautiful. Do an AK search for some good tutorials of how to sand those minor scratches out... :D

Seriously though, just fantastic, and wow what a price. :sigh:
Looking forward to your impressions. I would really try to bargain with the wife to get them into your bigger space, even if only for an afternoon. I think they will really do their thing with some air to breathe.

Hmmm... haven't seen any threads dealing with veneer repair!:D

I'll try to get a quick listen later today.

I also got a pair of Magneplaner SMG's but one is not working. Otherwise gorgeous condition. Ahhhhh!

Glenn

Last edited:
I owned both versions at the same time. The woofers were the same in my case. The early version also had a finished walnut back rather than painted black and the woofers used wood screws on the later ones whereas the early ones used machine screws into T nuts. There were several crossover versions even among the same versions (1&2). It very much seemed as though the crossover cap values in particular were a bit of a moving target. The 3/4" tweeter was just a little bit brighter to our ears than the 1". Both of mine had the leds, I could not hear a difference with or without but I still disconnected them because I found them a bit hokey and a little distracting. The signal just came off the woofer. I did stack them for about 1 day and then decided it was just too ridiculous! Several of us toyed with the idea of creating the bi-amp cards but it lost steam due to the cost and effort. I did bi-amp mine for a long time just using a few jumpers after removing the PC card that's in there now. I found that upgrading the amp achieved better results.

Once you have a chance to listen, try gently wiggling the cable connectors on the crossover boards. Mine were very flaky and caused no end of scratchy sounds and driver dropouts. I found a similar inline version of the female connector but had to add some short wires between it and the PC board but it solved my troubles. I may have been able to trim the wire solder loops on the connector and get it to fit into the board but decided to just use the short wire jumpers. I also changed the tweeter series cap to a WIMA, the red one in the pic, but I don't think I can hear any difference.

Have fun.

Attachments

• IMG_3156.jpg
    IMG_3156.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 84
Back
Top Bottom