ADS-910's

Once you have a chance to listen, try gently wiggling the cable connectors on the crossover boards. Mine were very flaky and caused no end of scratchy sounds and driver dropouts. I found a similar inline version of the female connector but had to add some short wires between it and the PC board but it solved my troubles. I may have been able to trim the wire solder loops on the connector and get it to fit into the board but decided to just use the short wire jumpers. I also changed the tweeter series cap to a WIMA, the red one in the pic, but I don't think I can hear any difference.

Have fun.

Thanks for the tip! Very helpful!

At the moment, I don't even know where to start with disconnection and moving speakers. I think I'm just first going to give the cabs a light block sanding and oil. That will sooth my mind while I ponder the cave situation!

Glenn

I owned both versions at the same time. The woofers were the same in my case. The early version also had a finished walnut back rather than painted black and the woofers used wood screws on the later ones whereas the early ones used machine screws into T nuts. There were several crossover versions even among the same versions (1&2). It very much seemed as though the crossover cap values in particular were a bit of a moving target. The 3/4" tweeter was just a little bit brighter to our ears than the 1". Both of mine had the leds, I could not hear a difference with or without but I still disconnected them because I found them a bit hokey and a little distracting. The signal just came off the woofer. I did stack them for about 1 day and then decided it was just too ridiculous! Several of us toyed with the idea of creating the bi-amp cards but it lost steam due to the cost and effort. I did bi-amp mine for a long time just using a few jumpers after removing the PC card that's in there now. I found that upgrading the amp achieved better results.

Hey Lux Man,

Good info and much appreciated! Mine have the veneered back. Guess the bean counters were still out to lunch!

Glenn

The l880's were in great condition. Like new really.

And the Scott 345 sounded good, plenty of volume at less than half on the old volume knob.
But the amp had a lot of background noise. Ill get it checked. But it did do sound great.

The l880's were in great condition. Like new really.

And the Scott 345 sounded good, plenty of volume at less than half on the old volume knob.
But the amp had a lot of background noise. Ill get it checked. But it did do sound great.

Cool!

Post a pic of the setup if you can. I'd love to see their condition!

Cheers, Glenn

looking good man, i hear the moving stuff around part...i usually look at them and sigh a bunch of times before i actually get to moving things around...

congrats

Glad there were no surprises Glenn. Look forward to reviews of how they sound.

You should be arrested because you stole those :D

So hooked them up to the Scott, and they sound really good except no woofers in one of the speakers. I'm assuming it's that pesky plug and bad contacts? I'll play a little later, need to spend some time with my wife.

Glenn

Missing bass could be three things. There is the connector of course, but there is also a fuse and the jumper card that are in series with the woofer circuit. I'd wiggle the connector first and then go for the fuse. I think it's the fuse nearest to the connector.

Missing bass could be three things. There is the connector of course, but there is also a fuse and the jumper card that are in series with the woofer circuit. I'd wiggle the connector first and then go for the fuse. I think it's the fuse nearest to the connector.

Yup, Blown fuse! Sounding amazing now with 35wpc of tube goodness!

I'll post a few pics of the setup now. I didn't mount them on the stands for now. I did lightly sand the cabs and oil them. a hundred times better looking!

Glenn

Hi Glenn,
Another great find! They dwarf the KLH with TT on top. Are those your 23's?
Congrats the 910's!

Hi Glenn,
Another great find! They dwarf the KLH with TT on top. Are those your 23's?
Congrats the 910's!

Hey c5!

An amazing find I must say. My coworkers best friends husband's gear. I actually worked with the best friend 20 years ago!

Yes, they dwarf the Twenty Three. I haven't finished with the cab on the second one yet. Got a bit sidelined today!

So I just demoed these for my wife, cranked Daft Punk- "Get Lucky" and holy shiet! These are BIG, full, lush, deep sounding speakers with crystal clear mids and high's, amazing depth and sound stage! She will let me try them in the big family room for a day, but that's it"

I'm giddy at the moment and need a beer!

Glenn

These are BIG, full, lush, deep sounding speakers with crystal clear mids and high's, amazing depth and sound stage!

That's pretty much how I felt in the early days after getting my pair. AND, they don't wear you out with any harsh or shrill behavior. I can listen to them for hours.

John

That's pretty much how I felt in the early days after getting my pair. AND, they don't wear you out with any harsh or shrill behavior. I can listen to them for hours.

John

Hey John,

I'm looking forward to getting a long listening session with these. That east coast sound, you can listen all day long with no fatigue. Once my SS amp is back, I'll be curious how the AR3's compare to these. The 3's are no slouch by any means and both are 4 ohms.

What would cause that fuse to blow? I spoke with the seller and he was surprised to hear that. I think he didn't realize there was no bass out of it because he had several speakers playing all the time with his setup.

Glenn

Hey Glenn, all I can say is those are sweeeet, not to mention all the other goodies you brought home. ADS are one of the brands that I do not own, but I really would like to stumble upon a nice pair. I am looking forward to some pics when they are cleaned up and you work the minor issues out. :thmbsp:

Hey Glenn, all I can say is those are sweeeet, not to mention all the other goodies you brought home. ADS are one of the brands that I do not own, but I really would like to stumble upon a nice pair. I am looking forward to some pics when they are cleaned up and you work the minor issues out. :thmbsp:

Hey Doc!

It was a hell of a haul! Seems when people hear about gear, they say oh, I know someone who's into this old stuff. Best I've had. These are the first ADS's I've heard, so the bar has been set pretty high right off the bat! They are impressive physically, visually and sonically. Big sound is effortless from them. I'll post a few pics shortly. Still have more detail cleaning to do. Watching the Yankees loose right now.

Glenn

Hey c5!

An amazing find I must say. My coworkers best friends husband's gear. I actually worked with the best friend 20 years ago!

Yes, they dwarf the Twenty Three. I haven't finished with the cab on the second one yet. Got a bit sidelined today!

So I just demoed these for my wife, cranked Daft Punk- "Get Lucky" and holy shiet! These are BIG, full, lush, deep sounding speakers with crystal clear mids and high's, amazing depth and sound stage! She will let me try them in the big family room for a day, but that's it"

I'm giddy at the moment and need a beer!

Glenn

Aw, no fair. Just one day? ("I think I pulled something" might buy you some time, maybe even a week :D )

Congrats on the 910's. I bet those are great. I've been eyeing that model myself, but I've always worried about the large ADS models like that being too big for the room here (as in, I ain't got no ROOM in here for them bad boys...Only working with 14x12 here... Can't accommodate two pairs of monster speakers at once... Those 910's seem smaller in some pictures than they actually are... Those are BIG... Those are W90-weight, or 10W90).

Last edited:
Aw, no fair. Just one day? ("I think I pulled something" might buy you some time, maybe even a week :D )

Congrats on the 910's. I bet those are great. I've been eyeing that model myself, but I've always worried about the large ADS models like that being too big for the room here (as in, I ain't got no ROOM in here for them bad boys...Only working with 14x12 here... Can't accommodate two pairs of monster speakers at once... Those 910's seem smaller in some pictures than they actually are... Those are BIG... Those are W90-weight, or 10W90).

Hey GT!

Yes, my back is a bit sore! Took most of the day to do. I don't listen to them much anyway. 4 pairs of speakers are out covered in the garage because I ain't got no room! I can't stand chaos like that, really wanted to get it all set up and get to hear the 910's.

They are heavy beasts, but slide pretty easily on the carpet.

Glenn

Did you get the metal tilt back legs?

Yup, just didn't mount them on the stands yet. Also I need to remove and re glue the badges as they slid down over time. Gooey glue.

I will mount them eventually.

Glenn

Back
Top Bottom