ADS-910's

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by GD70, Sep 10, 2015.

1. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Seriously, DO NOT CUT any part of those stands! They are very hard to come by, and many 910 owners have been looking for a pair for years!
    Sell them and buy another set better suited for the Klipsch's.

Alexxx, 7whales7 and 2chman like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Like I said, find the speaker stands you want and someone will pony up that price and more for the ADS stands in good shape. You have gold, make a few bucks and get the stands you want for your speakers. Maybe they have stands made for those speakers?

GD70 and Alexxx like this.
  3. Alexxx

Alexxx New Member

ohhh my, let me put it this way, why don't I let you chop off one of my toes, and i keep the stands, seriously man, those stands are rare and many of us are "standless" and still, you can sell them, and get a super dooper stand for the KLH. Have mercy ahahahhaa

GD70 likes this.
  4. GD70

Hey guys!

There's a very nice set of early 910's with stands on fleabay right now. Looks one badge is missing, otherwise they look great!
    As you all know, I love these beasts, and will always recommend them when the opportunity arises!

Go get em while they are available!

Cheers, Glenn

india42 likes this.
  5. Goggle1824

Goggle1824 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sooo...........
    I have a pair of 910s with stands arriving via palleted freight on Monday (pics to follow).
    So I'd just like to add to Glenn's thread by saying :banana: :rockon: :thumbsup:

Assuming they arrive undamaged, etc. Tweeter domes looked pretty dark and sticky from the pictures so I'm assuming those need a Richard rebuild.

Also read here (in many threads) bi-amping is a good way to go with these right? Is that Canadian outfit the place to look into the bi-amp cards, vs watching and hoping on the "bay"?

Also, is high dampening factor important in controlling these, or not so much due in part b/c of the relatively high efficiency?

6. nerdorama

nerdorama AK member Subscriber

I used mine with a low power tube amp and didn't find the damping factor an issue with the bass. I also wouldn't assume that the color of the dome would have much to do with the tweeter performance. Mine were a dark color. The tweeters should be sticky, they don't call them sticky domes for no reason, and they don't have ferrofluid so no deterioration on that front. If the drivers haven't been overdriven and damaged then I think you should use them and enjoy.
    John

7. Blue Shadow

I agree. There isn't a sonic improvement reason to have a properly working, non-ferroed driver rebuilt. Enjoy them and see if you want to lay out the cash for the preservation journey.

8. GD70

9. GD70

Congratulations!
    We're these the recent eBay listing?

The gent in Canada is the source so check what he has in stock. Another AKer was looking for the tri-amp cards and convinced the gent to let them go. Waiting for the bi-amp cards to show up on eBay may take a very long time.

I'd love to see pics of how these were packed up for shipping, and how they look, as well as your listening impressions.
    I'll never forget the first time I really cranked these, my jaw dropped. They sound good with tubes, but with high power SS amp, puts them in a whole different league.

Cheers, Glenn

10. Goggle1824

So speakers just delivered via local freight truck. Unloaded and began unwrapping and the first of the two has several points of damage including a SHEARED stand leg where the horizontal point meets the vertical.

What's the collective wisdom of best way to handle?

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  11. Goggle1824

I'm taking pictures as they are unwrapped/boxed. Have sent the seller notice via eBay messaging that the first of the two boxes has damage and included about a half-dozen pictures of the damage occurred.

Should I open the other box as well or wait to determine best next steps? I do plan on keeping all of the packing materials until any dispute is resolved.

Please help by providing guidance! :yikes:

Thanks (bummed).

Last edited: May 14, 2018

12. Blue Shadow

Sheared stand legs mean these were not packed for shipping. The stands should not be on the speakers and should not be in a box with speakers they might even need to be disassembled for proper safe shipping, if they do that. Document everything and work with the seller.

13. GD70

That is a shame. Document everything. Post pics as well as we can give better advice based on what we see.
    Is the second bad also damaged?

14. Goggle1824

That's very much what I thought too. I was REALLY surprised the stands weren't removed for shipping, just seems MUCH "safer" to remove them, not to mention ALOT easier to pack.

Who knows...

In contact with the seller, their initial response seems positive and genuine so fingers crossed on an acceptable resolution. Haven't even opened the other box yet.

15. GD70

I would open the other box for inspection so any and all damage claims are done at the same time.

16. Goggle1824

That makes sense, I'll do that tomorrow morning, and provide an update. :(

17. GD70

Besides the damaged stand, or stands, assess the cabinets, grills and frames and drivers. These need a full test. If they were dropped, magnets could possibly shift or come loose, so you want to make sure all drivers sound good, first at lower volumes then at high volumes to check for any kinds of distortion.

18. india42

india42 AK Subscriber Subscriber

What a shame! I can't believe someone would think shipping these on the stands would be OK!

19. Goggle1824

I'm staying optimistic! I'll document what I can here for the hopeful benefit of others into the future. Will open & inspect the second of the boxes tomorrow.

20. Harvestor

Harvestor Super Member

Seems NOTHING gets shipped anymore without being Damaged by the employees of these places in business to ship.

Now would be a great time to start a shipping company that guaranteed 100% damage free shipping every time or else get 10 times your money back!

I could see a business like this doing very well because these other places don't care about the customer anymore!!

F-ING A-Holes !

GD70 likes this.