ADS gear: bandpass subwoofer design, please help!

presscot

I have a pair of 7" a/d/s/ bass drivers. I would like to build the bandpass subwoofer systems. I acknowledge that a/d/s/ has the bandpass models of 7" bass driver available. They are a/d/s/ "MS1" or "MS1/U" (both have the same enclosure design but active and passive design differentiation). So I now have the external dimension of them. They are designed to have sealed chamber as front part and vented chamber as rear part. The bass driver is mounted on the dividing panel of front and rear chamber sitting inside the sealed chamber and facing towards the rear chamber. The ports are a pair of triangles which equipped to both lower corners of cabinet. The length of ports are equal to the length of sealed chamber because they use the ports as part of sealed chamber's wall. So the sealed chamber is actually a trapezoidal shape.

Here is the external dimension I have; H x W x D : 26 x 30 x 35 cm. And the triangular ports dimension which I don't have the actual values but approximated calculation by the photo software; H x W : 6 x 6 cm. The sub is tuned 100Hz cut-off frequency with 24dB slope characteristics.

How can I to know the ports length/sealed chamber length or front-rear chamber ratio ? Please help

Attachments

• IMG_6187.JPG
    IMG_6187.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6188.JPG
    IMG_6188.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6189.JPG
    IMG_6189.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6190.JPG
    IMG_6190.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 34
How do you know the 7" drivers you have are even suitable for this application? ADS made a few different ones.

How do you know the 7" drivers you have are even suitable for this application? ADS made a few different ones.

I rather sure the drivers got the same design since I saw the repair kit for many models used the same parts. My 10" car subs, the S10, used the same part as those 10" woofer in home application, L-1590. The well-known 320i/s car speaker use the same repair part as newer AL5. Also the 200i and AL4. Only slight differences were made on the visible parts such as bracket, dust cap and the cone's material. My 7" drivers, CS700, may got the resemble design as the S7, SB7, or even the MS1/1U.

Which model that you mentioned to for the different ADS made?

I rather sure the drivers got the same design since I saw the repair kit for many models used the same parts. My 10" car subs, the S10, used the same part as those 10" woofer in home application, L-1590. The well-known 320i/s car speaker use the same repair part as newer AL5. Also the 200i and AL4. Only slight differences were made on the visible parts such as bracket, dust cap and the cone's material. My 7" drivers, CS700, may got the resemble design as the S7, SB7, or even the MS1/1U.

Which model that you mentioned to for the different ADS made?

The S10 is a 4ohm speaker, the L1590 woofer is an 8-ohm one but essentially the same otherwise. For the car drivers there was a lot of parts interchange in the last generation as well. However, the CS700/S7 were for infinite baffle use only. The SB7 woofers were essentially the same as those in the B7/L7e; both sealed box designs. The former & later resemble each other but from a Thiele/Small standpoint are quite different. The MS series subs were developed while I worked there. The woofers in the MS1 & 2 were new designs developed specifically for those subs. The woofers in them may resemble other ADS woofers but they are unique to them.

IMHO, I see the sub cabinet building is just a fun activity for a hobby. In car system, the installation of speaker/subwoofer has so many various types. I saw many S and RS series subs, S8s/S10/RS8/RS10/RS12, were build in very different system that going far apart from their manual suggestions. And many of them just work very well. So I don't mind to put the CS700/S7 to the cabinet because I'd like to swap it from car use to home use, still enclosure will be the requirement. Then, I was looking for the design of enclosure. Since I don't know any parameters of these drivers at all, I look for a ready-made instead. The MS1 would be my first choice due to the advantages of 100Hz bandpass type design -- which further helps me to save the budget on crossover building -- on a 7" driver, same manufacturer and same-era born.

Back
Top Bottom