ADS L-880 or JBL L-80T?

The ADS would be my choice.

Not knowing what is going to be driving them.

In reality can't go wrong with either.

So condition and price may be the final deciding factor if it was up to me.

I have the JBL speakers, got a friend that wants to trade his l 880 for my JBL, they are both in mint condition

IIRC both at 8 ohms with the JBL's @ 90, 89 for the ADS's. So the JBL may sound a bit louder.
Some find the JBL tweeters tiring after listening for awhile. I haven't listen to a pair long enough to have that complain though.
What is driving the speakers now?

Check resale prices. The JBL's are probably, a stronger price wise.
So a straight trade???? NO!

If you like the JBL's now keep them.

The ADS are a tougher sell, JBL's pretty much sell themselves. No knowledge of HiFi needed by the vast majority of interested parties.

IIRC both at 8 ohms with the JBL's @ 90, 89 for the ADS's. So the JBL may sound a bit louder.
Some find the JBL tweeters tiring after listening for awhile. I haven't listen to a pair long enough to have that complain though.
What is driving the speakers now?

Check resale prices. The JBL's are probably, a stronger price wise.
So a straight trade???? NO!

If you like the JBL's now keep them.

The ADS are a tougher sell, JBL's pretty much sell themselves. No knowledge of HiFi needed by the vast majority of interested parties.
I use a Sony TA-N77ES with a TA-E80ES pre

Have you heard the ADS, and do you like them more than your JBL's? Like teal'c suggested, listen before you agree to anything.

Have you heard the ADS, and do you like them more than your JBL's? Like teal'c suggested, listen before you agree to anything.
I've had the l980 and they were amazing! So I'm just going off my thoughts about them whether or not to trade, surely there can't be too much of a difference between the 980 and the 880

I just happen to listen to a pair of L80T's this afternoon driven by a Adcom 545 amplifier.

Sweet sounding setup.

I like ADS and also JBL so agree give them a listen.
After today I'd probably keep the JBL's.

Thanks guys for all the replies, you are no help LOL but I appreciate that the the comments for sure! I will probably choose the ADS speakers, there's no doubt that JBL are maybe a hundred or two more in value but, the ADS speakers are superior in sound I believe

I have the JBL speakers, got a friend that wants to trade his l 880 for my JBL, they are both in mint condition

It's a good swap, both good speakers.

maybe try to do a side by side on your amp. He's asking for the trade right? Do a shoot out together.

If it were me I'd keep the JBl for a few reasons. JBL tend to sale fast if needed. They also tend to hold more value.

Even tho JBl parts are getting harder to find, I'd bet you could find parts for your L80s with less effort over the ADS..

Good luck with it :)

Thanks guys for all the replies, you are no help LOL but I appreciate that the the comments for sure! I will probably choose the ADS speakers, there's no doubt that JBL are maybe a hundred or two more in value but, the ADS speakers are superior in sound I believe

There you go :) if they sound better to you run don't walk! :) it's all about what sounds good to you!

Sorta like getting opinions on who you should date from people on the internet. Even family or friends for that matter.

Wanna bet they would be able to pick what you really like in the end?

Barney

Listen
JBL 85-89 930
ADS 84-87 850
seems the same price back then. Both probably not discounted too much compared to some boxes, don't know didn't sell em.

Never heard the ADS but of the dozen-or-so JBLs I have, the L80Ts (even with their upgraded T3 crossovers) would be the first I'd cut loose, if I had to, and would likely not miss. One of my two pair are on indefinite loan to a friend in his family room. Better than anything he's had (Maggies, on down) but that's not saying much. :dunno:

Thanks to all who made the comments, I appreciate every one of you! I did the trade and boy am I glad I did, they sound f****** fantastic! Far superior in sound quality than the JBL at least my ears. Here are a few pictures of the speakers.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 51
I've had the l980 and they were amazing! So I'm just going off my thoughts about them whether or not to trade, surely there can't be too much of a difference between the 980 and the 880

night and day difference...mids and tweets are not shared components with the 880's unlike the rest of the line, they use the mids and tweets from the 1590's...980's were specifically set up for use as studio monitors and can be bi-amped...

Back
Top Bottom