ADS L1090. L1290 and L1590 bases, an option for the speaker, add stability. Discussion.

Blue Shadow

Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century
The ADS speakers in the title are dual woofer columns and are not much wider than the woofer used in each speaker. This made them vulnerable to being toppled during the dance scene. For this reason ADS offered a base for at least the 1290 and 1590, I don't know about the 1090. Since there is an active plea for a pair of bases in BT for the 1290 and I'm curious if the base is speaker specific, I thought instead of polluting that thread with this information, I'd post it for all to see.

The size of the bottom of the L1590/2 is 303mm x 207.5mm and it sticks out 1/2". The speaker itself is 10mm larger than the bottom of the unit. This bottom piece of the speaker fits into the base, F15, for the L1590 from the OM. I don't know the size of the 1290 base but expect it is for a smaller bottom section of the speaker and would have a different part number.

Anyway here are pics of the bottom of the speaker showing the part that would fit into the base and some pics I stole from the internet and are in the post on BT but I can't link those since non-subscribers will not be able to see them.

I'm thinking these would be fairly easy to reproduce for those that must have them and the installation of spikes for carpeted floors would work well, too for the 1590. These seem to be stable. IDK about the smaller models. If one was going to make these bases, what material would be a good choice? Thinking MDF since it would offer the same material through the sloped sections vs. plywood. Real wood might be a good thing, too.

One other option I have read about but not seen yet is installing the outriggers like many of the column speakers have on them these days. Suggestions on how to, pictures and such would be more than welcome in this thread to make these speakers more stable.

Attachments

• ADS bottom.jpg
    ADS bottom.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 232
  • ADS bottom2.jpg
    ADS bottom2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Base back.jpg
    Base back.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 227
  • Base Edge view.jpg
    Base Edge view.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 209
  • Base top.jpg
    Base top.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 230
  • Base topa.jpg
    Base topa.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 215
Great stuff Blue Shadow, thank you!!! :beerchug:

Not sure how I'm just finding this thread now, but am following fo'sho'!

Any pictures with the base on the speaker?

Any guess as to what the originals are made of?

Maybe I'll PM, is it SoundMotor, that worked at ADS?

Last edited:
check out Rob's plea for a set for his 1290, in BT. I think he has had some responses that show pics installed and some pics of a ruler up next to the piece on the speaker. Screws into the bottom of the speaker cabinet hold them in place.

Checked that thread and maybe @rogerfederer will post the link to the pics here in the open forum for those that would like to see it.

Last edited:
ADS offered a base for at least the 1290 and 1590, I don't know about the 1090.

I don't think bases were offered for the L1090, at least I never saw or heard mention of them. There were always one-offs and show samples to get dealer reaction though. The L1290 / L1590 bases were in response to customers setting them up on deep carpet. They were not stable and the ADS faceplant was the result. They nearly always went forward from the weight on the front baffle. There is another thread in Speakers on an L1290 that suffered it. You can tell as the mid gets hammered and the grille posts poke forward and bend the grille steel out like a wet t-shirt. The bases were referred to by other terms but I will leave those in the apocrypha.

Customers made their own bases when the factory supply dried up and they were just about every variety. Funny to think about now but some would occasionally send in pics of what they built, through the mail!. My boss may have even given one guy's name out to other customers as the ones he made looked great, almost factory. Less of a bevel but still very nice. I think if I needed them I would evaluate the outrigger route with decent lengths of 3/8" steel strap tapped at the ends for spikes if directly installed spikes aren't enough.

I have a pair of L1590s with the bases so I can provide a photo if you'd like.
The 1290 is smaller at 10.5" wide by 11.9" deep, and takes an F12 base.
Not sure what the material is, but I can try to figure it out if there is interest.
PM me if I can help.

Love A/D/S towers. Great sound, but they need help on soft floors ...

That's my thought as well, or rather a forming question, regarding the bases.

It doesn't appear the factory bases incorporated spikes, if that's the case wouldn't outriggers get us the stability AND performance impact (tightened bass) vs pursuing the factory look of the original stands?

I had bases for the L1290 series 1.
MDF
Bevelled sides and corners with about 1/4" of lip.
No spikes
They really didn't stick out too much beyond the cabinet, perhaps an inch and a half.
Picture 1605.jpg

I'd be in for some of this. With grandkids and pets running around I'm always in fear something will happen since they are on a deep pile carpeted floor. I have 1290's by the way.

With grandkids and pets running around I'm always in fear something will happen since they are on a deep pile carpeted floor. I have 1290's by the way.

t6PpHoI.png

You have the ideal combo for disaster.

Seriously, get this fixed ASAP.

This is great and I think I should consider bases for my 1590's.
So, if these are something to be fabricated I would do something with outriggers. I have a buddy that can do metal work (builds custom motorcycles) and I could probably work with him to develop something that isn't too costly to produce and that would work and look good depending on the level of finish you put on it (powdercoating). If you guys want to throw some ideas out to me on how these might work I can see what we can come up with.

I have the original series of the 1590's with connections on the back in the compartment made for the add-on amp option. Dealing with the cables on mine are therefore not an issue.

You have the ideal combo for disaster.

Seriously, get this fixed ASAP.

I've been trying and all I can put together at this point is putting them on some concrete pavers to try and minimize the rocking. All you have to do is barely brush them and they start to move. I've though of building some pockets they can fit in from some MDF sort of like plant stands do until I can come up with something more permanent. It might look like crap for awhile but at least they would be a lot more stable for now. That's why I'm watching this thread to get some ideas of how to get something done.

Tubed, those look exactly like my 1290/2's (though mine are minus the bases), and my screens are nearly mint! (So far) :angel:

Why not just lay them sideways?

I think if I used 1590s in a space that people danced or kids played I would just get a few L brackets and drill them into the floor. If you just have carpet over plywood the only harm is to the bottom back of your speakers... well worth the ding in re-sale value knowing they are secure.

Why not just lay them sideways?

I think if I used 1590s in a space that people danced or kids played I would just get a few L brackets and drill them into the floor. If you just have carpet over plywood the only harm is to the bottom back of your speakers... well worth the ding in re-sale value knowing they are secure.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I took lots of pics of the bases that went with the 1590's I restored for Mike. Send me your email via conversation for pics. They were in the thread I did before PB screwed us.

Back
Top Bottom