ADS L2030 Restoration

Those in the last picture are very interesting.
What drivers were used to make those?
Takes the design benifits from the xx30 series and trims it down to a cool speaker.
Did you do the cabinet work?

L1230's, L1530's, or L2030's would be epic to own. Any of the three. And I never realized how big they truly are, until I saw a picture of 1530's and AR90's side by side. The 90's were dwarfed! As such, I can't imagine 2030'!
How is this?
th_ads2030.jpg

Thanks!! Not finished yet, the box next to the Center will be for the Grill, I've yet to finish the surrounds grill box (second picture). I'm in the process of finding someone with better sewing skills then I. All parts were from L810 to match the same drivers as the L1230's I own. I did all the wood work. The sound, well ... magnificent. Although I've held back on most of the build pic's because I promised Richard So I'd send them to him in case he wanted to post them in his gallery. I've only held off until I get the Grill work done. Perhaps when I take vacation this year. I work 6 days a week night shift so only get some Sundays to get on this project. Posted here http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/my-ads-5-1-ht-project.781555/

How is this?
th_ads2030.jpg

That has to be a die cast car...! Hope the speakers weren't brought home in the Bug? Though, I have been known to open my sun roof, and have stuff sticking out of the car, as I drive home. That might work if I ever find 2030's...! :idea:

This damn thread is killing me Matt. I need another set of speakers like a whole in my head. But having heard your 1530s, watching your progress here with the 2030s, and seeing the ADS speakers pop up around here is tempting my resolve. I had a chance at a set of 1230s a couple years ago for a very good price, and have regrets over letting them slip away!
Anyway, great thread on the restoration process.

Get you some. A quick cl look and you have some 1590s for a reasonable price when you consider other areas nearby, Hamburg for example as asking way too much for a pair of 810 and 710.

This damn thread is killing me Matt. I need another set of speakers like a whole in my head. But having heard your 1530s, watching your progress here with the 2030s, and seeing the ADS speakers pop up around here is tempting my resolve. I had a chance at a set of 1230s a couple years ago for a very good price, and have regrets over letting them slip away!
Anyway, great thread on the restoration process.
If either pair of L1590's we've found locally had been walnut instead of black, I'd have been very tempted. Heck, even black I was tempted, lol. I liked what we heard at the Cleveland guy's house. I'm not sure where you'd put them with those huge Bozaks!

Thank you Glenn, I really didn't want to invade Matt0404's thread as this is his time. And thanks all for the kind remarks all, very warm feelings from all y'all. Indeed. But we need something to talk about tell Matt get's all his parts back together. (smiling). I know I'm not alone when I say we are all very anxious.

I will add this though, the warmth and accracy you hear from the ADS speaker is passed though to movies on a 5.1 system. One can claim that if the two mains are distanced and angled toward a sweet spot that you'll produce a phantom center (as they say), and because I used the very same drivers in the center I was able to prove that a phantom center does exist when the mains are lined up properly. However, not all of us have the room where we can separate the mains and angle them to a sweet spot. A center really fills that void. This system does that magnificently.

I've been to so many different venues in my life. From the Hollywood Bowl to a Hole in the Wall in Texas, and in as much as I still to this day enjoy a 2 channel system, a 5.1 channel system can provide me with a dimension that I am familiar with in the various venues I've been too. It can provide me with the same sensations I enjoyed in those places and take me back to a simpler time and place. My smile is huge. And I just can't seem to get enough of it now. No brick and mortar speaker has ever done that.

If I can ever get my hands on a L910, L1530 or L2030 .... I'd do it again. With lessons learned.

Thank you Glenn, I really didn't want to invade Matt0404's thread as this is his time. And thanks all for the kind remarks all, very warm feelings from all y'all. Indeed. But we need something to talk about tell Matt get's all his parts back together. (smiling). I know I'm not alone when I say we are all very anxious.

I will add this though, the warmth and accracy you hear from the ADS speaker is passed though to movies on a 5.1 system. One can claim that if the two mains are distanced and angled toward a sweet spot that you'll produce a phantom center (as they say), and because I used the very same drivers in the center I was able to prove that a phantom center does exist when the mains are lined up properly. However, not all of us have the room where we can separate the mains and angle them to a sweet spot. A center really fills that void. This system does that magnificently.

I've been to so many different venues in my life. From the Hollywood Bowl to a Hole in the Wall in Texas, and in as much as I still to this day enjoy a 2 channel system, a 5.1 channel system can provide me with a dimension that I am familiar with in the various venues I've been too. It can provide me with the same sensations I enjoyed in those places and take me back to a simpler time and place. My smile is huge. And I just can't seem to get enough of it now. No brick and mortar speaker has ever done that.

If I can ever get my hands on a L910, L1530 or L2030 .... I'd do it again. With lessons learned.

Magnificent work Spiceman! Bravo!

If either pair of L1590's we've found locally had been walnut instead of black, I'd have been very tempted. Heck, even black I was tempted, lol. I liked what we heard at the Cleveland guy's house. I'm not sure where you'd put them with those huge Bozaks!
Yes the 1590s in Cleveland did sound killer! Best speakers that guy owned anyway...I am trying to resist speaker acquisition lately. It's not easy. I want monoblocks next i think...

Time for an update. All drivers have been successfully rebuilt! I'll be sending a check to Richard tomorrow and hope to have the drivers back sometime late next week. Total damage was $840 but they're done. All of them.

I also built a mock riser out of 2x3" pine to test fitment and it slips right in, nice and snug. If the pine didn't have a little twist/bow to it, I'd be tempted to just build another one and be done, but, it's a little warped and won't sit perfectly flush, so I need to find a nice piece of oak or maple.

ADS 14" Woofer Rebuild by Audio Database, on Flickr
ADS L2030 mock up riser by Audio Database, on Flickr
IMG_20180117_180521 by Audio Database, on Flickr

Last edited:
Are all the woofers completely rebuilt, new cones, VC's etc...? Looks great!
The test risers look good too, but I would also go for the oak as it will hold up under all the weight.

Yes sir ... very nice mart. Very nice work on those risers. If you live near a Home Depot, they have the oak trim you need in 8' lengths. you might have to double up the thickness if you want them as wide as the pine. Looks like you know exactly what your doing. Love that pocket hole jig solution you came up with on the 30 degree. Nice work again.

Back
Top Bottom