ADS L2030 Restoration

So I'm looking to sell/trade my Yamaha A-S1000 in hopes of finding a proper preamp (preferably tube w/remote). Any ideas on would match well with my GAS Ampzilla? Budget under $1k but hopefully less.

Specs:
Input sensitivity: 1.6v
Input impedance (with jfet mod): 150k ohms
Gain: 23.7 dB

Need phono?

Remote makes it a bit more difficult.
Matt, I have a Xiang Sheng 728A and me and my other local audio buddies think is awesome. Very affordable for what you get and a great introduction to tube preamps. You can roll in some better tubes too if you want. I got mine for while I restore my Citation 1 and am in no hurry to remove it from use. Might be worth a look. They are under $400 new on ebay from China. I think you would have to spend quite a bit more to get something better.

Matt, I have a Xiang Sheng 728A and me and my other local audio buddies think is awesome. Very affordable for what you get and a great introduction to tube preamps. You can roll in some better tubes too if you want. I got mine for while I restore my Citation 1 and am in no hurry to remove it from use. Might be worth a look. They are under $400 new on ebay from China. I think you would have to spend quite a bit more to get something better.

Another Xiang Sheng possibility, is the XiangSheng DAC-03A. It's a headphone DAC, that offers tube and solid state preamp outputs, with remote volume. The only drawback is it is strictly only digital in. No analog. I use a XiangSheng DAC-01A, which is very similar, with digital and analog inputs, but no remote. The tube out/SS out makes for easy bi-amping too, with tubes on top, and SS on the bass. I did some tube rolling with mine, and like the 728A, it's a great sounding piece, regardless of how cheap it is.

Another Xiang Sheng possibility, is the XiangSheng DAC-03A. It's a headphone DAC, that offers tube and solid state preamp outputs, with remote volume. The only drawback is it is strictly only digital in. No analog. I use a XiangSheng DAC-01A, which is very similar, with digital and analog inputs, but no remote. The tube out/SS out makes for easy bi-amping too, with tubes on top, and SS on the bass. I did some tube rolling with mine, and like the 728A, it's a great sounding piece, regardless of how cheap it is.
Thanks, guys. I'll check out the Xiang Sheng options.

Hey Matt, that Freya preamp on Pitt CL went for $250! 1 month old! One of us shoulda had that.....
How in the world did that sell so cheap!? Hey, if you come over for a listen this weekend, bring that octal pre with you if it's not too much trouble. I'd love to hear it A/B against the Yamaha to see what I'm missing.

Thanks, guys. I'll check out the Xiang Sheng options.

How in the world did that sell so cheap!? Hey, if you come over for a listen this weekend, bring that octal pre with you.
Yea i can bring it. I have a real nice Consonance tube pre also.. i don't remember if you saw it. Uses 12bh7 and 12au7s if you want to hear it also

So I'm looking to sell/trade my Yamaha A-S1000 in hopes of finding a proper preamp (preferably tube w/remote). Any ideas on would match well with my GAS Ampzilla? Budget under $1k but hopefully less.

Specs:
Input sensitivity: 1.6v
Input impedance (with jfet mod): 150k ohms
Gain: 23.7 dB

It's not tube nor does it have a remote but I'll likely be listing a GAS Thoebe soon that would match well with the Ampzilla.

I finally had a chance to go to Matt's home and hear these magnificent beasts. Nothing short of amazing. They are imposing speakers in person, and do not disappoint with an imposing soundstage as well! Matt provided a leather chair dead center and around probably 15-16 ft back..this position gave great dynamics, killer imaging, and a free back massage due to the immense low frequency waves pulsing thru the room and all it's pieces. We spent a couple hours "rolling" preamps, amps, and musical genres...the ADS' seem oblivious to which kind of preamp was in front, tube or ss, but they do seem to excel with some big power and current. If you ever get a chance to be in front a set of these monsters, do not hesitate! True giants in the audio world...in several ways, lol.
Thanks for the hospitality Matt!

I finally had a chance to go to Matt's home and hear these magnificent beasts. Nothing short of amazing. They are imposing speakers in person, and do not disappoint with an imposing soundstage as well! Matt provided a leather chair dead center and around probably 15-16 ft back..this position gave great dynamics, killer imaging, and a free back massage due to the immense low frequency waves pulsing thru the room and all it's pieces. We spent a couple hours "rolling" preamps, amps, and musical genres...the ADS' seem oblivious to which kind of preamp was in front, tube or ss, but they do seem to excel with some big power and current. If you ever get a chance to be in front a set of these monsters, do not hesitate! True giants in the audio world...in several ways, lol.
Thanks for stopping by today, John! I had a blast swapping preamps in and out and discerning their sonic differences. You've got a couple really great preamps in the Octal and Consonance! I think I have a line on a nice Juicy Music pre that I might jump on.

I forgot to post updated riser pics, so here they are. Made out of oak and wider, but slightly shorter, than the factory risers. The walnut base trim sits just about flush with my carpet now. The speakers are much more stable and secure now with the addition of these risers.

IMG_20180207_211430.jpg IMG_20180207_211418.jpg

Awesome you got to hear these! We need a video to hear these beasts!

Awesome you got to hear these! We need a video to hear these beasts!
. Yes a video would be cool! I love the sound of these big guys. They do quiet background music well, or churn the earth beneath them depending on what you feed them. Matt has turned me into a giant speaker aficionado. I have his old Bozak Symphony’s currently. I think in the correct room, size and cabinet volume do matter. Big speakers fill a room with realistic spatial sound at very low volume, or do concert hall/arena sound when you give them some juice!

. Yes a video would be cool! I love the sound of these big guys. They do quiet background music well, or churn the earth beneath them depending on what you feed them. Matt has turned me into a giant speaker aficionado. I have his old Bozak Symphony’s currently. I think in the correct room, size and cabinet volume do matter. Big speakers fill a room with realistic spatial sound at very low volume, or do concert hall/arena sound when you give them some juice!
Totally agree. My 910's are puny next to the 2030's, but they are still a decent size speaker and have big sound regardless of the volume level.

I need to get a video, but, aside from when John was here, my house is never quiet enough! Need to send the kids to Grandma's. :thumbsup:
Even tell the kids they need to play in their rooms for 15-20 minutes so you can record a few different tracks to give us a good demo of these.

Totally agree. My 910's are puny next to the 2030's, but they are still a decent size speaker and have big sound regardless of the volume level.

I dream of owning a pair of those GD70, with all the cards. Some guys just have all the luck. :beerchug: Oh .. and so that it's documented, the very first song I would play on my 910's would be Sexual Healing, Marvin Gaye FREAKING LOUD!

I dream of owning a pair of those GD70, with all the cards. Some guys just have all the luck. :beerchug: Oh .. and so that it's documented, the very first song I would play on my 910's would be Sexual Healing, Marvin Gaye FREAKING LOUD!
Great track! I'll have to listen to it again!

I have it on vinyl, but I need a new needle for my aged, but very wise and dependable Pickering Cartridge.

Back
Top Bottom