ADS L2030 Restoration

Nice job thinking that trough Matt!! All the way to the IPA :beerchug:
Thanks, Garry!
As was mentioned earlier in the thread these great speakers definitely went to the right guy:beerchug:. Great workmanship all the way around:thumbsup:
Thank you! I'm really enjoying the process of bringing these guys back to their former glory.

ZPoxy link.
This is the stuff you want. It's especially good dripping into those length wise cracks, letting it soak in, and clamping tight while curing.
Anyway, you're making great progress.
Cheers, Glenn
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...MIu7Dn3cjB2QIVREsNCh3pUQ--EAQYASABEgK9ovD_BwE
Yep, that's the stuff. I foolishly expected I'd be able to find it locally, but no luck. I'll order some for future use.

On a separate note, I took a crash course in applying fiberglass this morning. Update to follow later...

"Thank you! I'm really enjoying the process of bringing these guys back to their former glory."

That's shared by everyone in this thread! We're all very proud for you to have those, and toit ... for someone like you to invest in the time and money in restoring them.

"Thank you! I'm really enjoying the process of bringing these guys back to their former glory."

That's shared by everyone in this thread! We're all very proud for you to have those, and toit ... for someone like you to invest in the time and money in restoring them.
This thread has been a great read. The speaker rebuild turned out beautiful. Glad you ended up with those. :thumbsup:
Thank you both! I'm glad you guys are following along. :beerchug:

On to today's update:

The weather showed a high of 56 degrees so I thought it would be a good opportunity to begin my crash course in fiberglass application. I began by taking measurements, making a cut list, and cutting enough appropriately sized strips of fiberglass to reinforce the joints of both grill frames.

I worked in small batches, mixing enough resin for a few pieces of fiberglass at a time. It really wasn't difficult. The worst part was all the strands of fiberglass that ended up stuck to my gloves. It got so bad that I just got rid of them and worked with my hands.

I took a break between grill frames for lunch. This break left my first brush hard as a rock, so I had to find another. The only brush I could find had pretty stiff bristles from being used and washed a few times. This made working with the fiberglass on the second grill frame pretty difficult, but I got the job done.

They've cured for a few hours now and they are noticeable more rigid after the fiberglass treatment. I'm actually a little concerned that limiting the flex in the joints has transferred more stress to the two metal rods that run vertical on the inside edges. Oh well, I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it. For now, they're much more structurally sound than I expected.

When I have more time, I'll move onto filling seams, cracks and rebuilding the one corner. Then clean and paint flat black. I'll also replace the little black velcro cushions that keep the grill frame from rubbing the speaker since I got some resin on a few of them. That should give my MIL some time to have the fabric cut and ready to re-cover.

Here are some pics from today:
IMG_20180225_105104.jpg IMG_20180225_110458.jpg IMG_20180225_114700.jpg IMG_20180225_114712.jpg IMG_20180225_114719.jpg IMG_20180225_114721.jpg IMG_20180225_144719.jpg IMG_20180225_144729.jpg IMG_20180225_144733.jpg IMG_20180225_150504.jpg

Thank you both! I'm glad you guys are following along. :beerchug:

On to today's update:

The weather showed a high of 56 degrees so I thought it would be a good opportunity to begin my crash course in fiberglass application. I began by taking measurements, making a cut list, and cutting enough appropriately sized strips of fiberglass to reinforce the joints of both grill frames.

I worked in small batches, mixing enough resin for a few pieces of fiberglass at a time. It really wasn't difficult. The worst part was all the strands of fiberglass that ended up stuck to my gloves. It got so bad that I just got rid of them and worked with my hands.

I took a break between grill frames for lunch. This break left my first brush hard as a rock, so I had to find another. The only brush I could find had pretty stiff bristles from being used and washed a few times. This made working with the fiberglass on the second grill frame pretty difficult, but I got the job done.

They've cured for a few hours now and they are noticeable more rigid after the fiberglass treatment. I'm actually a little concerned that limiting the flex in the joints has transferred more stress to the two metal rods that run vertical on the inside edges. Oh well, I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it. For now, they're much more structurally sound than I expected.

When I have more time, I'll move onto filling seams, cracks and rebuilding the one corner. Then clean and paint flat black. I'll also replace the little black velcro cushions that keep the grill frame from rubbing the speaker since I got some resin on a few of them. That should give my MIL some time to have the fabric cut and ready to re-cover.

Here are some pics from today:
View attachment 1123800 View attachment 1123801 View attachment 1123803 View attachment 1123804 View attachment 1123805 View attachment 1123806 View attachment 1123809 View attachment 1123811 View attachment 1123813 View attachment 1123814
Looking great Matt! That's exactly how I would have done it. One way to get the fiberglass right into the corners is to fold it before placing it on the surfaces, and then use a plastic taping blade to push it into the corners tight.
Before you put these back on the cabinets, sand ALL the fiberglass edges and surfaces smooth flat so any stray, rock hard fibers won't scratch up the cabs when sliding them back in place.

These are coming along very nicely! I'll never have the good fortune to ever stumble across a pair of these in person so I am relegated to keeping track of this thread and drooling.

Looking great Matt! That's exactly how I would have done it. One way to get the fiberglass right into the corners is to fold it before placing it on the surfaces, and then use a plastic taping blade to push it into the corners tight.
Before you put these back on the cabinets, sand ALL the fiberglass edges and surfaces smooth flat so any stray, rock hard fibers won't scratch up the cabs when sliding them back in place.
Thanks for the tip. I will be sure to sand the fiberglass smooth before attempting to install!

These are coming along very nicely! I'll never have the good fortune to ever stumble across a pair of these in person so I am relegated to keeping track of this thread and drooling.
Thanks for following along!

Great job on the frame restoration and pictures. There are coming only nicely. Makes me realize I need to get started on building my frames, since I was not fortunate enough to have those included when I bought my speakers.
Thanks for sharing all this information and photos from your restoration project Matt.

Great job on the frame restoration and pictures. There are coming only nicely. Makes me realize I need to get started on building my frames, since I was not fortunate enough to have those included when I bought my speakers.
Thanks for sharing all this information and photos from your restoration project Matt.
Thanks! I'm hoping to get some time to finish up the frames this weekend. I'll be sure to measure and sketch dimensions for you to reference for your own grills.

Well, I got the grills about ready for new fabric. I rebuilt all of the damaged corners using Bondo wood filler which worked very well. Painted them flat black and now I just need to get working on the fabric.

IMG_20180310_142826.jpg IMG_20180310_142847.jpg IMG_20180311_145245.jpg IMG_20180311_145250.jpg
Bad pic, but here's the finished product.
IMG_20180311_191618.jpg

Also, I didn't mention it here (started a thread in the SS forum), but I picked up a new amp for these guys. The sound is just sublime! :music:

Sonogy Black Knight Mk II by Audio Database, on Flickr

Well, I got the grills about ready for new fabric. I rebuilt all of the damaged corners using Bondo wood filler which worked very well. Painted them flat black and now I just need to get working on the fabric.

View attachment 1136109 View attachment 1136110 View attachment 1136113 View attachment 1136115
Bad pic, but here's the finished product.
View attachment 1136116

Also, I didn't mention it here (started a thread in the SS forum), but I picked up a new amp for these guys. The sound is just sublime! :music:

Sonogy Black Knight Mk II by Audio Database, on Flickr
Looks like it's moving along well!

Awesome work there Matt. Impressive work on those corners fella. Know what, out of all those pictures, I never once noticed that the frames had 2 metal bars. When I got home this morning I looked at mine and I'll be damned ... sure enough there are 2 in the L1230's as well. So ... I guess I'll be using 2 of them when I build the grill frames for my surrounds this spring/summer. In as much as I don't think I'll be able to find solid Steel square bars like those, I think the depot will have some aluminum ones that will work for me. Your pic's have seriously helped me map those frames out so I can't thank you enough for posting the pics. Were you able to find an upholsterer near you? Nice amp by the way. You have a knack for finding the almost impossible to find stuff.

Last edited:
I'm lazily considering my options at this time. I have grills, but they are not structurally sound and they should be recovered. I'm considering whether I should tackle the structural repair myself, or if I should find someone local(ish) to repair them. If it's as simple as re-gluing and clamping the joints, I can probably manage, but it it requires more finesse, I'm likely going to have to find someone else to do it.

I also know that recovering the grills is not a simple task due to the varying angles. I doubt the stretch grill cloth has enough stretch to accommodate the angles, so this is very likely outside of my capabilities. I'm not handy with a sewing machine.

Finding someone competent to tackle these repairs is a challenge in itself as I live in a small town surrounded by smaller towns. My best bet is probably the Amish (seriously) but getting in touch with them is difficult. I do happen to know a guy who had them recover his convertible top and they did an excellent job, but I need to get a hold of him to put me in touch with them...if you know what I mean.

Matt, Good Luck! I took your old 1530 grills to a local upholsterer and she had them for 11 months! Twice I refused them because the seams were too prominent. It definitely was a challenge for her. I had seen her work in the past, so I know she was skilled, but it took her a couple shots to get it right. For my taste, I find that the grilles really finish the big 30 series speakers nicely!
Great ideas on the grille frames. Fortunately the grille frames that you had were in great shape. They are vulnerable to damage though.

Awesome work there Matt. Impressive work on those corners fella. Know what, out of all those pictures, I never once noticed that the frames had 2 metal bars. When I got home this morning I looked at mine and I'll be damned ... sure enough there are 2 in the L1230's as well. So ... I guess I'll be using 2 of them when I build the grill frames for my surrounds this spring/summer. In as much as I don't think I'll be able to find solid Steel square bars like those, I think the depot will have some aluminum ones that will work for me. Your pic's have seriously helped me map those frames out so I can't thank you enough for posting the pics. Were you able to find an upholsterer near you? Nice amp by the way. You have a knack for finding the almost impossible to find stuff.
Happy to help, Garry! My mother-in-law is going to give the upholstery a shot here in the next week or so.

Matt, Good Luck! I took your old 1530 grills to a local upholsterer and she had them for 11 months! Twice I refused them because the seams were too prominent. It definitely was a challenge for her. I had seen her work in the past, so I know she was skilled, but it took her a couple shots to get it right. For my taste, I find that the grilles really finish the big 30 series speakers nicely!
Great ideas on the grille frames. Fortunately the grille frames that you had were in great shape. They are vulnerable to damage though.
Thanks, Joe! I can't believe it took that long to get the fabric re-done. I'm glad you eventually got them done the way you wanted them. The design is most certainly vulnerable. I plan on handling these with kid gloves once complete.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom