ADS L2030 Restoration

Yes, sir, running them in mono. Unfortunately, I need an ADS C2000 in order to bi-amp the L2030's. The C2000 is quite rare and I've not yet found one. Someday I hope.

So....another update. I went ahead and did the whole damn thing:

Flickr
http://www.marchandelec.com/index.html

http://www.marchandelec.com/index.html

I believe this company can help you with a perfect active crossover. I have seen the C2000 on Ebay about 2 times in the last 4 years.

Maybe they can build one copying this manual??
Tried to send you a pdf owners manual and was prompted that the file was too large so I will just send you the link and you can download a copy yourself. It does contain the specs.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/ads/c2000.shtml
Hope this helps. There is a fascinating article in my L1230s owners manual on the benefits of an active crossover. Not just more power, also much less IM distortion.
You really have to biamp these babys. They deserve, and you deserve to run them the best way possible.

I still need to build the grills my pair. If anyone has any advice on how I should go about it, I'd appreciate it.

Curt

Last edited:
I still need to build the grills my pair. If anyone has any advice on how I should go about it, I'd appreciate it.

Curt

Without knowing your skill set for working with wood Curt and toit what kind of tools you have, Matt0404 has some excellent photo's of his grills within the pages of this thread. His angles were spot on at 20 degrees and 70 degrees for front top and front bottom. Start with the top, then the sides and bottom last. You'll notice two very thin pieces off the front of his grills that look 1/4 x 1/4, those are actually metal. Without knowing a source for those I found that Home Depot actually has this in stock. Unfortunately it's only in 36" lenths. However, perhaps the store manager could put you in contact with their supplier. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...Steel-Cold-Rolled-Square-Rod-801197/204273977. Fabric is going to be a real challenge. I have spent hours looking for an exact match with probably a dozen or so samples. Only one came close but but was not a bulls eye.

Wow sorry didn't know it was you on the US site. I am sure they are worth every penny but how could you let go of them? Buying a home is understandable for sacrificing almost your sole but OUCH!!!!
I feel the pain though, my daughter moved in a year ago with a baby and I had to totally disconnect all my equipment so the baby could crawl around without speaker wires and power cords all over the floor.
Been a year since surround sound enjoyment or even stereo. In the middle of remodel of 2 family and the downstairs is almost complete so the theater with the wires in the walls and ceilings is a bit on hold.
Also just got laid off for the first time in my life, and at 62 it is a bitch getting new employment. I thoroughly enjoyed this forum, as I do ALL ADS forums, they are special speakers and have a clarity that I have not found yet in new speakers.
I hope you have luck on your sale and good luck with the new house.

No sir, did not miss that, but thought I'm sure Matt had to make some hard choices. @MATT0404 ... I've done the exact same thing in my life when I sold my Bass Boat to get as much free cash as I could to put down on my home. My family and friends just couldn't believe I would do that. Fact is, as close as that Bass Boat was to me, it's just a thing, and a home is security for myself and my family. You obviously made a difficult decision, but your rewards will more then make up it. Hell .... living up there were you live, I have little doubt that you'll find another set of them one day. Won't surprise me one bit if it's the same ones as these ... Lifes funny that way. So that it's said, don't think for one moment when I seen them up for sale I didn't think (dream), of driving up there and picking those up. That's a fact.

No sir, did not miss that, but thought I'm sure Matt had to make some hard choices. @MATT0404 ... I've done the exact same thing in my life when I sold my Bass Boat to get as much free cash as I could to put down on my home. My family and friends just couldn't believe I would do that. Fact is, as close as that Bass Boat was to me, it's just a thing, and a home is security for myself and my family. You obviously made a difficult decision, but your rewards will more then make up it. Hell .... living up there were you live, I have little doubt that you'll find another set of them one day. Won't surprise me one bit if it's the same ones as these ... Lifes funny that way. So that it's said, don't think for one moment when I seen them up for sale I didn't think (dream), of driving up there and picking those up. That's a fact.
Garry hits the nail on the head here, guys. While I've poured a lot of time, effort, and money into these speakers to get them where they are, at the end of the day, they're just things. Things that make glorious music, yes, but still just things at the end of the day. When faced with the prospect of plunking down a 20% deposit on a new home that fits perfectly the needs of my family, I have to make some incredibly difficult decisions as to how to raise the cash.

Garry hits the nail on the head here, guys. While I've poured a lot of time, effort, and money into these speakers to get them where they are, at the end of the day, they're just things. Things that make glorious music, yes, but still just things at the end of the day. When faced with the prospect of plunking down a 20% deposit on a new home that fits perfectly the needs of my family, I have to make some incredibly difficult decisions as to how to raise the cash.
I applaud you! A very difficult decision, but you’ll have a better living situation, and you still have the great 910’s which many also only dream of! I also saw the audio mart listing and was as surprised as everyone else, but was also happy to know we AKers were all part of the restoration project one way or the other with you.
Good luck on the sale of the 2030’s and purchase of your new home!
Glenn

Alllllllllllllllmost let these go in a panic to raise cash, but I've come to my senses. They're irreplaceable. My difficult decision lies more in the fact that I need to pare down and consolidate instead of simply targeting the high dollar items. That being said.....anyone looking for a nice pair of 910's? :D

Alllllllllllllllmost let these go in a panic to raise cash, but I've come to my senses. They're irreplaceable. My difficult decision lies more in the fact that I need to pare down and consolidate instead of simply targeting the high dollar items. That being said.....anyone looking for a nice pair of 910's? :D
Ahhhh, whew!
The 910's should move quickly. There's always people looking for them on the ADS FB group page.

Well, its been nearly a month. Did you sell out your ADS soul and dump the 910s and some other stuff to make for the 20% deposit on a house?

Well, its been nearly a month. Did you sell out your ADS soul and dump the 910s and some other stuff to make for the 20% deposit on a house?
No, I still have them. I've managed to raise a substantial amount by selling off a bunch of amps, integrateds and preamps. I still have a pair of Gallo Reference 3.1's to sell, so I think the 910's are safe. Speaker-wise, that'll leave me with the L2030's, 910's, and maybe Klipsch Chorus II's (gotta have something to play with tubes).

No, I still have them. I've managed to raise a substantial amount by selling off a bunch of amps, integrateds and preamps. I still have a pair of Gallo Reference 3.1's to sell, so I think the 910's are safe. Speaker-wise, that'll leave me with the L2030's, 910's, and maybe Klipsch Chorus II's (gotta have something to play with tubes).

There is nothing wrong with that speaker lineup, Matt! I think you mentioned that the 910's are wonderful with tubes too!

There is nothing wrong with that speaker lineup, Matt! I think you mentioned that the 910's are wonderful with tubes too!
Yes, they are very good with tubes, but you have to be realistic with the volume control. When the bass starts pumping, they really soak up the watts.

Yes, they are very good with tubes, but you have to be realistic with the volume control. When the bass starts pumping, they really soak up the watts.

Well, I personally know that you have no shortage of SS wattage on hand! :music:

The 910's are very nice with tubes, but even with my LK-72 at full volume, the 910's aren't even breaking a sweat.
They really need power to realize their potential!

Back
Top Bottom