ADS L2030 Restoration

Congrats Liefloff! I was watching that auction closely and you really wanted them! Is that three I see in your picture? In addition to the 1530s what other applications do you have planned for them?
I have two pair of L1530s, L1230s, L1590s and L1290s. So, right there dictates I need 5 C2000s. Since the C2000 has to be modified differently for each of the L1590s and L1290s I can't just switch them out as needed.
For history sake; I got my first C2000 thrown in with two Hafler amps when I bought my first L1530s. Not knowing what it was, I listened to my L1530s single amped for 6 years while the C2000 just collected dust. Then one fine day, I bought a pair of old L1230s from @Porkloin, pulled out the C2000, used the Hafler DH200 amps and was summarily blown away. The bi-amped L1230s sounded better than the single amped L1530. I couldn't believe how good the sound was. (I totally agree with JT's description - sounds exactly right - It could be there is no secret squirrel power in them) I then switched the C2000 to the L1530s and my costly mental problem began. My first two C2000s were thrown in with speakers. Since then I've bought four more, and gave one to my brother for a Christmas present. I've been manually searching for C2000s now at least three times a week in addition to eBay and HiFiShark auto-searches. (It is notable that the last two didn't show up on HiFiShark at all, even though they were on eBay.)
If I were to still keep searching (thankfully that's finally over) I would manually search Craigslist in large cities for Dallas, NY, Mass, North Carolina, Florida, Denver, LA, Portland and Seattle. One will show up and when it does, price probably won't matter to you. But be warned; your personality will change with the effort. Your closest friends and family will worry as day after day, year after year of fruitless empty set search results twist your personality as you descend into a bitter, obsessed, old, sorrowful drunk. Your marriage will be at risk. Now, if I could only find a pair of L2030s......

Last edited:
I have two pair of L1530s, L1230s, L1590s and L1290s. So, right there dictates I need 5 C2000s. Since the C2000 has to be modified differently for each of the L1590s and L1290s I can't just switch them out as needed.
For history sake; I got my first C2000 thrown in with two Hafler amps when I bought my first L1530s. Not knowing what it was, I listened to my L1530s single amped for 6 years while the C2000 just collected dust. Then one fine day, I bought a pair of old L1230s from @Porkloin, pulled out the C2000, used the Hafler DH200 amps and was summarily blown away. The bi-amped L1230s sounded better than the single amped L1530. I couldn't believe how good the sound was. (I totally agree with JT's description - sounds exactly right - It could be there is no secret squirrel power in them) I then switched the C2000 to the L1530s and my costly mental problem began. My first two C2000s were thrown in with speakers. Since then I've bought four more, and gave one to my brother for a Christmas present. I've been manually searching for C2000s now at least three times a week in addition to eBay and HiFiShark auto-searches. (It is notable that the last two didn't show up on HiFiShark at all, even though they were on eBay.)
If I were to still keep searching (thankfully that's finally over) I would manually search Craigslist in large cities for Dallas, NY, Mass, North Carolina, Florida, Denver, LA, Portland and Seattle. One will show up and when it does, price probably won't matter to you. But be warned; your personality will change with the effort. Your closest friends and family will worry as day after day, year after year of fruitless empty set search results twist your personality as you descend into a bitter, obsessed, old, sorrowful drunk. Your marriage will be at risk. Now, if I could only find a pair of L2030s......

I search Dallas constantly that's a fact, and have even included it in a auto notify. When someone is selling an ADS model that supports the C-2000 I always ask if they have it sitting around. I'm believing that a C-2000 never made it south of the Red River.

A little video demo of my current setup:

ADS L2030
Audire Otez
Usher P-303
TEAC UD-501
Audirvana from my Macbook Pro

Shot with Fujifilm XT-2 and 23mm f2 lens
Audio recorded with Zoom H1

I go back and forth between the Usher and Parasound preamp. I like them both for different reasons. The amp is a keeper for sure. It's a refined brute if that makes any sense at all.

Thanks for adding this to the cause Matt, very well done with nice choices made on several fronts. :beerchug:

If I may clarify, what are those “puny” speakers (for context) sitting next to the rack? :idea:

So beautiful in every way Matt. I'm so proud for you. I've said that before, and I mean it just as much today. So glad they found their way to you for all you did to restore them to their full glory. I'm not as experienced in various amplifiers to comment on the choices between each, but as time allows me I'll get there slowly.

Thanks, everyone! I moved another pair of speakers into my listening room for a few weeks. Long enough for my ears to acclimate to the new sound. When I moved them out and hooked the 2030's back up, I got goosebumps. Like listening to the for the first time again. :)

Thanks for adding this to the cause Matt, very well done with nice choices made on several fronts. :beerchug:

If I may clarify, what are those “puny” speakers (for context) sitting next to the rack? :idea:
Those are just the grills for a pair of Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1's.

Great song, and album! One of my favorites.
If I may suggest another track that is outstanding to demo is Melody Gardot-Morning Sun Live. It's long, but amazing.
Cheers, Glenn

Finally! Now to find an amp for the mids and highs. I will definitely continue using the Audire Otez on the woofers. Anyone have thoughts on a reasonably priced (as far under $1k as possible) amp for the mids and highs?

c2000.jpg

Ahahah ....Awesome Matt! seen this last night, but didn't realize it had a buy it now offer? Thought the auction went till Saturday.

Yessss! Finally! Congratulations, Matt! Good luck on finding the right amp for the mids/highs. Are you thinking tubes? With your skill I am sure you could find a great setup within your budget.

Last edited:
Ahahah ....Awesome Matt! seen this last night, but didn't realize it had a buy it now offer? Thought the auction went till Saturday.
Thanks! It had an opening bid of $500 or make best offer, which I did. Seller countered way high, I declined without counter, he sent me a message and said he'd accept my original offer. So we sealed the deal this morning.

Yessss! Finally! Congratulations, Matt! Good luck on finding the right amp for the mids/highs. Are you thinking tubes?
Thanks, Joe! I'm not sure what kind of load the mids/highs present, nor do I know how much power they require. I'm thinking tubes > 40 wpc would probably be sufficient, but not sure to be honest. Anyone here have an opinion?

Excellent! Choices abound for the top end amp. Tubes will be fun to try for sure. Could be as straight forward as a nicely restored Dynaco ST70 or something similar.

I used Quicksilver Silver 60 mono amps for the tops of my 2030's and found 60w plenty. Believe the load was 6ohm, depending how many mids i had going. I had decided 4ohm was nominal. Whatever the load, it will vary. I also found warmer solid state amps to be fine, a d did use Classe ca101 which is similar to the ca 100. Mondial amps also come to mind. Mono amps did represent best seperation which for me, was important . Finally, i did biamp with a 7 channel Lexicon. 4 for the 2030, 2 for the rear, 1 for the center. So when playing 2 channel sources, of course 1. Only the fronts worked. 2. I had the option for " 2 channel surround"
For use with XRCD and LP source material. I tried a variety clearly, also 30 watt mono tubes Quicksilver mono 30. 60 watts was beter than 30 for me. SS for woofers, tube MONO amps for the tops. I found this also the case when biamping the 1590, 1290,980, and 910. Any configuration you choose, when done correctly seemed much nicer to me. I like the ability to alter mid and woofer gain independent. I also put 500w on the 2030 straight without biamp as i was told the benefit would be the same with high power as is with biamp. That prooved no not only be hogwash, but simply is not logical. Biamp is the way for me, for more than one reason.

Last edited:
Thanks! It had an opening bid of $500 or make best offer, which I did. Seller countered way high, I declined without counter, he sent me a message and said he'd accept my original offer. So we sealed the deal this morning.

Thanks, Joe! I'm not sure what kind of load the mids/highs present, nor do I know how much power they require. I'm thinking tubes > 40 wpc would probably be sufficient, but not sure to be honest. Anyone here have an opinion?

Ah ... nothing like a motivated seller. Good Show Matt.

Saw that C2000 - Was listed with a set of L1590's - Wondering if it was altered for use with the 1590's

Back
Top Bottom