ADS L520

JRW

Greetings. Long time lurker. I have learned a lot just reading about other people's audio experiences. My last kid just graduated from high school and its time.

I have come into a nice, 80s vintage receiver. I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of ADS L520s . I haven't heard them yet. The cabinets are good to very good. It will be my office system so lots of sound at a reasonable volume is called for. Seems like these would be the answer. If I don't get them will I forever regret?

Last edited:
Price discussions need to be in the Dollars & cents section.
Regarding the ADS's, those that own this model are very happy with them.

Sorry about that, Just saw it in the rules and will respect in the future. As for the speakers, thank you for the input.

Welcome to AK and sorry about your wallet! Seem's you like to do what I did. go back in time and make your self a new Stereo system built with the classics. getting a pair of ADS speakers is a great start.

Love mine. They are also my office system. Usually driven by an NAD 7240PE.

Unfortunately mine have vinyl covered cabinets but the sound is great.

Got the L520s for less than he was asking, but still more than I wanted to pay. Bargains. Do not regret a penny. The cleanest sound and tightest bass I've heard from speakers in this range. Driving with a Kenwood KR-7050. Getting the old phono out of the closet and dusting it off.

When I was a college student (1982) I had a Sansui receiver, and a beautiful Technics turntable that were both stolen from my apartment over Spring Break. Since then I've had Akai and then Yamaha with some early 90s Pioneer floor speakers, processing digital input. The "new" Kenwood and the ADS speaks have reminded me why I spent more than I could afford back in my teens. I'm back, baby!

Thats a nice set up you have there, nice looking kenwood too. now your back! we are looking forward to hearing more from you and any questions you may have. BYW any pics to show off your new found joy?

I am revisiting this thread to report that I now understand the concept of the speakers disappearing. There's just sound. Very sweet sound. These are amazing speakers. I have not regretted the purchase for a single minute. I fear they have awakened a desire for a lot of different, really good, audio equipment. Hope the wife sticks around to appreciate the music.

Sounds like someone has caught the fever!
Had a set of 520's in my office. Spent a lot of time listening to good sounds coming out of those speakers. Definatly stress reducers.

The ADS infection is spreading! Too bad!

Well that confirms it, you are new here. Sure joined in 2012 but there was a run on the 810s like you see on the many ADS speakers a few years before that. Buying frenzies in the 350-450 buck range and that was the going price. They settled down and may be going back up to those prices.

Well that confirms it, you are new here. Sure joined in 2012 but there was a run on the 810s like you see on the many ADS speakers a few years before that. Buying frenzies in the 350-450 buck range and that was the going price. They settled down and may be going back up to those prices.
Yeah, I guess five years, still wet behind the ears! Training wheels are off my 2 wheeler though!

Six years later, I find my old posts while looking for new information. That's funny to me.

So now, in addition to the L520s (which I will die owning) I have changed Kenwoods and now have the KR 7600. I have also added a Sansui 771, and a pair of Infinity Qb s. The L520 s are rated at 6 ohm nominal impedance, and 4 ohm minimal impedance. The Qb s. are nominal 4 ohms. I am driving the L520s with the Sansui 771, and the Infinitys with the Kenwood. The 771 and the L520s make very sweet sounds together. And, it seemed correct to run the bigger three ways off the more powerful amp.

My questions are 1) have I stumbled upon the best configuration of the two systems? 2) I am contemplating moving them both into the same room and running the amps and speakers through a passive switch so I can listen to amp A or B with speakers 1 or 2. I have no desire to add additional volume control, or to run the speakers in an A/B, so is this OK given the receivers I have and the speakers I intend to drive?

For context, the room is not large, and I do not have to let the neighbors know what I'm listening to.

That's fine. I have two stereo tube amps and a pair of tube mono blocks connected to a tube preamp. I have the amps connected to a speaker/amp switch box with two pairs of speakers in my main system.
When selecting a switch box, don't get one with banana jacks only.
I bought one thinking it would be nice for swapping in and out equipment using banana plugs. Sometimes they would become a bit loose or not make good contact. I wasn't using real cheap jacks either.
I've since gone with one that you can either use bare wire or banana jacks.
Some are bare speaker wire only using spring clip terminals.
The one I just bought had light VU meters with a remote to switch between
Two amps and two pairs of speakers. One of .y stereo amps has a volume control, so it's connected to my tape out on the preamp. Theis switcher uses relays to connect speakers and amps. It runs off a USB cable and 5v USB supply. It also has a remote, and peak limiter LED's.

Attachments

• 20231001_180403.jpg
    20231001_180403.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221110_093442.jpg
    20221110_093442.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom