ADS L730 Speakers

Sparkler

Today when I did my daily Goodwill walk about I was surprised to see a set of older speakers sitting there. Of course I pulled the metal (?) grills off to see what time had done to the surrounds. Luckily everything was intact. Cabs were very nice and the grills are perfect. Not being familiar with ADS speakers I was a little skeptical but for $14.99 I though that I'd give them a shot. All I can say is holy smoke! These are some very nice sounding speakers. I think I may just keep them for awhile. I can't believe that I'd never heard of the brand.

I run a pair of ADS L1290 II in my main system, and have had other models as well. Good deal you got there.

Rob

Today when I did my daily Goodwill walk about I was surprised to see a set of older speakers sitting there. Of course I pulled the metal (?) grills off to see what time had done to the surrounds. Luckily everything was intact. Cabs were very nice and the grills are perfect. Not being familiar with ADS speakers I was a little skeptical but for $14.99 I though that I'd give them a shot. All I can say is holy smoke! These are some very nice sounding speakers. I think I may just keep them for awhile. I can't believe that I'd never heard of the brand.
Nice find but.....:needpics:

I can't believe that I'd never heard of the brand.

Really interesting that you have been a member since late 2011 and have not heard of ADS. I guess you are now clued in and will read some ads threads and find out just how much folks on AK like the speakers. Glad you have joined the group.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/a-d-s-line-pecking-order.44406/

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ads-models-an-impromptu-rollcall.69719/

They are old threads but they are long and have all kinds of info in them. one might even have the http://kallhovde.com/Njord Noatun's Vintage Audio Resources.html link to ADS documents and others.

Enjoy. Plenty of reading for you new listening.

Sparkler,
Very nice find. I have (4) stacked L880's.
One mod you might consider, at some point, IMO. The sticky surfaced tweeters and mids tend to collect dust, difficult to get off. Many ADS models metal grills had a very thin black cloth on back side of grills. To keep dust off.
There have been threads on AK about replacement cloth.

Edit: The cloth on my L880 only wraps on one end and not the sides. Maybe avoiding fold issues in corners. I've had a pair since '85 without major dust issue. You found one of the most favorably reviewed brands of speakers on AK. I've read few criticizms. Nice score. IMG_20170517_085352.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, those 730s are nice. Can't make out any dust on the sticky domes.
That is interesting as the metal grilled speakers usually have something on the domes. The towers especially since there were openings around the edges. The metal did have a cloth on it to keep the dust out but not always working.

The speakers with the cloth grilles are usually very clean inside, the grille acting as an air filter over the life of the speakers or at least until we get them. This is from experience of owning a few different ads speakers.

Not sure how I quoted your post so many times...
Sparkler,
Very nice find. I have (4) stacked L880's.
One mod you might consider, at some point, IMO. The sticky surfaced tweeters and mids tend to collect dust, difficult to get off. Many ADS models metal grills had a very thin black cloth on back side of grills. To keep dust off.
There have been threads on AK about replacement cloth.
That is interesting as the metal grilled speakers usually have something on the domes. The towers especially since there were openings around the edges. The metal did have a cloth on it to keep the dust out but not always working.

The speakers with the cloth grilles are usually very clean inside, the grille acting as an air filter over the life of the speakers or at least until we get them. This is from experience of owning a few different ads speakers.

They were a bit dusty on the inside but it was nothing that a feather duster couldn't handle. I am loving the way they sound.

From what I can gather, these came in light oak and maybe a maple. Would it be a sin to change work the cabs over and go darker? And yes...my wife isn't crazy about the golden oak. I have a set of pristine Large Advents in the bullnose cabs that these may be replacing. Any thoughts on a comparison between the two?

There are those with refinishing skills who will chime in eventually. Not my skillset. My L880's have a laquer or other finish on them. Personnally, if I were the one doing it, risk of bad things happening would be too high.
I have New Large Advents (metal woofer). But have not heard 730's.

As you can see...I have a dilemma. I wish these ADS were darker. It would ease the pressure on my marriage.

Attachments

• IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 95
Sparkler,
Another alternative. The L780 a 8" three way, L880 a 10" three way and other models were also offered in a more economical black painted finish. One of my sets L880's are black. Its a smooth finish. Not like the black vinyl coverings.. If your spouse would prefer black, sell yours and aquire a black pair.

Last edited:
Believe those light wood speakers are European walnut. It is different and soundmotor clued us up on the use of €-built cabinets for the speakers using this wood. I don't know if they would respond to a refinish but someone on AK does know. The 780 says €-walnut but I haven't seen it written that the 730 was available in other woods.

Last edited:
The 730s came in walnut and oak (I think, I may be wrong).

The oak (or light walnut per post above) may grow on you. I personally wouldn't mess with the original finish.

Get some stands like those pictured...

IMG_0961.JPG

Back
Top Bottom